Should this be illegal when making a movie?

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do people actually gain weight in order to play roles? If you need a character who's overweight and for whatever reason are unable to cast an overweight person, couldn't you just use a fat suit? For example, that's what they did in Avengers: Endgame with Thor for the scenes in which the character had gained weight.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Do people actually gain weight in order to play roles? If you need a character who's overweight and for whatever reason are unable to cast an overweight person, couldn't you just use a fat suit? For example, that's what they did in Avengers: Endgame with Thor for the scenes in which the character had gained weight.
Depends on the actor and the role. And it's not always weight in the sense of fat. Putting on a bunch of muscle in a short time is also rough on the body.

Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
The process of putting weight classes for actors into SAG rules would be hilarious.
Agreed. I am trying to figure out where annual Love is coming from.
Perhaps, all positions should be randomly assigned such that there is no preference as to who does what and e could all get along. Not sure how this would relate to bearing offspring currently.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Depends on the actor and the role. And it's not always weight in the sense of fat. Putting on a bunch of muscle in a short time is also rough on the body.
Not to mention the toll that the pharmaceuticals required will take on their long term health. I am curious to see how long the charade that the transformations that actors make are possible naturally.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Robert de Niro for Raging Bull, Charlize Theron for Monster and Renée Zellweger for Bridget Jones' Diary

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christian Bale is best known for it. He's both lost and gained tremendous amounts of weight for various roles. For the Machinist he became skeletal weighing 120 lbs at the most. Then he beefed up to play Batman. Then he lost a bunch of weight to play a junkie. Then he gained a ton of weight to play Dick Cheney. And that's not all of the examples.

4980182-0-image-a-55_1539331482048.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Christian Bale is best known for it. He's both lost and gained tremendous amounts of weight for various roles. For the Machinist he became skeletal weighing 120 lbs at the most. Then he beefed up to play Batman. Then he lost a bunch of weight to play a junkie. Then he gained a ton of weight to play Dick Cheney. And that's not all of the examples.

4980182-0-image-a-55_1539331482048.jpg
Though even Christian Bale has seemed to realize that drastically changing his weight is unwise. After he did Cheney, he said that he was thinking that he shouldn't do it any more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,621.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Robert de Niro for Raging Bull, Charlize Theron for Monster and Renée Zellweger for Bridget Jones' Diary
De Niro is valid. As would be Tom Hanks for Marooned. Start slim, get fatter or vice versa. You can't have two actors playing the same part. But if I was a casting director and was casting for someone who was playing a person who was fat, then I would cast a fat actor. Likewise slim for slim. Within reason.

Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
DeNiro did for Untouchables.

Upvote 0

JSRG

Apr 14, 2019
Midwest
✟160,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
DeNiro did for Untouchables.
Maybe I should've phrased my question a little better. Do people gain weight for a role (I'm not talking muscle, I'm talking just plain gaining weight) nowadays? The Untouchables was made more than 30 years ago.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Maybe I should've phrased my question a little better. Do people gain weight for a role (I'm not talking muscle, I'm talking just plain gaining weight) nowadays? The Untouchables was made more than 30 years ago.
Christian Bale gained 40 pounds for Vice only 4 years ago and which was the same yeah Charlize Theron put on 50 pounds for Tully. This yeah Mark Wahlberg put on like 30 pounds for Father Stu. And that leaves aside all the people who are putting on a ton of muscle, which again is dangerous if you do it too quickly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By nowadaysdo you mean this year, the last couple of years or what?

Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Christian Bale gained 40 pounds for Vice only 4 years ago and which was the same yeah Charlize Theron put on 50 pounds for Tully. This yeah Mark Wahlberg put on like 30 pounds for Father Stu. And that leaves aside all the people who are putting on a ton of muscle, which again is dangerous if you do it too quickly.
It is not possible to gain a lot of muscle in a short period of time without using methods such as black market injections and steroids. And yes, it is dangerous because the muscles grow too quickly, the new muscle is actually weak, and the fibers are easily torn under stress. The 'roid muscle is basically baby soft and not conditioned as natural muscles are, so they have a much higher chance of serious injury, such as torn ligaments and tendons. Very painful and requires surgery to fix.

Upvote 0