Should soldiers who believe in God be denied weapons?

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know, most wars are fought for economic gain. Very few wars have purely religious and ideological basis.

The Crusades had a lot more to do with Seljuqs invading E. Europe and Europe still suffering from the memory of the Berber invasions of Spain...

But details shmetails, right?

If you want to get into the business of 'ideological murder' we can look also at what Communists did to Christians and Buddhists throughout the world. It is not pretty, either.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sure, it will make it easier for us Atheists to take over.
[/joke]

It is a lovely idea, but I don't see it as being practical. There would always be someone that says God wanted them to have a weapon to kill the 'evil'. Evil being defined as anything the said person hates.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
[/joke]

It is a lovely idea, but I don't see it as being practical. There would always be someone that says God wanted them to have a weapon to kill the 'evil'. Evil being defined as anything the said person hates.

Actually atheists have killed more people in the past hundred years than Christians could ever dream of. From Stalin to Pol Pot to Mao Communism takes the cake when it comes to mass killing. For some reason they seem to like using starvation to kill, its an odd tangent.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Guns don't kill people.

Not my point. When have soldiers ever declared war? It is politicians, usually with support from the citizenry in democratic nations, that start wars.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not my point. When have soldiers ever declared war? It is politicians, usually with support from the citizenry in democratic nations, that start wars.

eudaimonia,

Mark

The wars America are fighting do not have the citizen's support. They should end or we should say its for the oil and take it. This occupation with nebulous exit conditions is killing and maiming the flower of our youth.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The wars America are fighting do not have the citizen's support.

The Iraqi war was very popular towards the beginning.

They should end or we should say its for the oil and take it. This occupation with nebulous exit conditions is killing and maiming the flower of our youth.

You are preaching to the choir. I was against the Iraqi war from the start.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
[/joke]

Or an atheist trying to get rid of the poison of religion.

Ever hear of any of those crazy guys like Pol Pot or Stalin? :thumbsup:

What's so special about the ones who believe in God?

It'd be nice if they *all* put down their weapons and had a chat instead.

Haha, because we never try that, right?

The day that we can achieve peace through conversation is the day that there is nothing worth fighting for anymore. :preach:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Bout as often as I hear about the inquisition and hitler!

Cool -- the Inquisition was a tool that was more often used against other Christians than any other group and it was certainly a product of its time.

Hitler was also privately an atheist by all accuonts and even attempted to create a new religion based around Wotan. Check out the sort of events that happened at Wewelsburg castle.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

Jan 1, 2003
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The day that we can achieve peace through conversation is the day that there is nothing worth fighting for anymore. :preach:

Just because somethings are worth fighting for, that doesn't mean that fighting must take place. The point of discussion is to find constructive solutions.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Caylin

Formerly Dracon427
Feb 15, 2004
Olympia, Washington
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cool -- the Inquisition was a tool that was more often used against other Christians than any other group and it was certainly a product of its time.

Hitler was also privately an atheist by all accuonts and even attempted to create a new religion based around Wotan. Check out the sort of events that happened at Wewelsburg castle.

Really now? He certainly claimed to be christian often enough.

Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian

Is the implication here that atheists attempting to be rid of religion was NOT a product of its time?

Also, yes, the fact the Inquisition was used against other Christians clearly makes it much less insane than it being used against non Christians!

Upvote 0