• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Should parents/schools be allowed to teach creationism?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by loriersea, Nov 29, 2005.

1. loriersea

loriersea Well-Known Member

+221
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    Should parents and/or schools be allowed to teach children creationism (particularly YEC), or should there be limits on what can be taught? I was just wondering if, for example, a parent has the right to teach their child that 2+2=5, or if that would not be allowed? In any case, should there be limits on what a parent may teach their child or, to put it another way, do children have any fundamental right to accurate information about the world?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Guywiththehead

Guywiththehead Member

+10
    Atheist
    Parents can teach their children whatever they want, be it nazism,flat-earthism, or Creationism.

Schools should not teach Creationism in science class because it simply isn't science.

3. charityagape

charityagape Blue Chicken Gives You Horns

+495
    Word of Faith
    Married
    US-Republican
    Creationism is a religious belief. The same could be asked, should Muslims be allowed to teach their children any part of their religion, or Mormons, or Panthiests, or Pagans. No, I don't think there should be a what law? against parents teaching their children anything they believe that doesn't harm other people or break the law.

4. Dannager

Dannager Back in Town

+453
    Catholic
    US-Democrat
    Our government isn't allowed to impose such a restriction on private teaching. Public institutions, however, are required to stick to a curriculum.

5. skier_lacey12

skier_lacey12 Well-Known Member

+44
    Presbyterian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I agree that creationism is a belief but so is evolution and that is taught at public schools in science classes. So if one is taught don't you think the other way should be too. I believe that if they teach evolution in science class then they should teach inteligent design or creationism...agree?

6. Lucretius

Lucretius Senior Veteran

+189
    Atheist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Evolution is not a belief like Creationism. Evolution is backed by thousands if not millions of scientific evidence. Creationism does not have that luxury. It is a belief founded on literal Genesis interpretation. Anything that has to rely on God for some sort of answer is not science, because there is no falsification of such a claim.

Science is not a democracy.

7. Electric Sceptic

Electric Sceptic Well-Known Member

+73
    Atheist
    No, not agree. Evolution is a scientific theory; hence, it should be taught in science classes. Creationism and ID are religious beliefs; hence, they have no place at all in any science class. It's not a question of 'teach both sides' - as far as science is concerned, there is only ONE side - evolutionary theory, because it is the only SCIENTIFIC explanation there is.

8. Edmond

Edmond Well-Known Member

+26
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Hello..... clue one. Parents can teach their children anything they wish about origins at home. The day that is limited is the day America is turned into a totalitarian state for the sake of teaching government sanctioned evolution only.

That is the day we truly can say the evolutionary theory has indeed failed to be even remotely effective in its public school teaching only. It is bad enough to realize that only 1/3 of the American public accepts evolution as a viable theory after over 100 years of its dogma being exclusively taight in the public school systems.

-------------------------------

9. Guywiththehead

Guywiththehead Member

+10
    Atheist
    Completely meaningless, since in most schools evolution is either ignored or barely taught.

Meanwhile, 95% of scientists and 99.9% of biologists accept evolution. What do you say about that?

10. nvxplorer

nvxplorer Senior Contributor

+435
    Atheist
    US-Others
    Evilution? I don’t expect that even from you, Edmond. Do you realize how childish that is?

11. Electric Sceptic

+73
    Atheist
    There is no such 'totalitarian state', except in your mind. Evolution is taught as science because it is the ONLY scientific theory of origins.

Here's a clue - the correctness of scientific theories is not judged by whether or not the teaching of them is effective.

There is no 'dogma'.

However, it is, indeed, bad to realise that so many Americans are ignorant of the facts regarding evolutionary theory. I blame, principally, the religious right.

12. notto

notto Legend

+627
    United Ch. of Christ
    1 in 5 Americans still think the sun revolves around the earth.
    9 in 10 don't know what radiation is
    Less than 1/3 know that DNA is important in heredity.

Public acceptance has no bearing on the viability of a theory.

13. Ampoliros

Ampoliros I'm my own wireless hotspot

+105
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Pretty much true - the wording is a bit bitter, but nonetheless, the point is valid. Teach what you want at home - if you want to teach creationism, go right ahead. I wouldn't suggest biologist as a profession, though. :p

That is the day we truly can say the geographical theory has indeed failed to be even remotely effective in its public school teaching only. It is bad enough to realize that only 17% of American students can identify Afghanistan on a map after over several hundred years of its dogma being exclusively taught in the public school systems.

People don't accept evolution because they don't understand evolution, and they're easily swayed by creationist groups presenting their quotemines and carefully screened information - not to mention accepting a literal interpretation of Genesis without really considering the ramifications.

14. Illuminatus

Illuminatus Draft the chickenhawks

+345
    Atheist
    Private
    Parents can teach their children whatever they want. Just as long as they remember that they have no grounds to b**** when universities tell their kids that they're not getting in because of their lack of science preparation.

15. TheBear

TheBear NON-WOKED

+1,771
    United States
    Atheist
    Private
    My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

16. charityagape

charityagape Blue Chicken Gives You Horns

+495
    Word of Faith
    Married
    US-Republican
    Most Americans don't recognize pictures or names of their political representatives, have any knowledge of history (that doesn't include sports and entertainment history), speak correct grammer, spell their way out of a paper bag.

The above examples are really more about American's ignorance in general, not necessarily their ignorance about evolution.

I know about the things you listed and I consider myself at least YECish.

17. Magnus Vile

Magnus Vile Well-Known Member

+198
    Atheist
    Private
    Well, yeah that would be pretty bad, and when American schools have been teaching Evolution exclusively for over 100 years it will be really bad. But American schools haven't been teaching evolution for over 100 years. It was illegal to teach evolution in some states around 80 years ago. Where did you get the "over 100 years" figure from? For crying out loud, the Scopes trial was held in 1925 and the act that led to it wasn't repealed until 1967. Is making things up a good way to prove your point?

By the way, evolution is still the only explaination we have that fits all the evidence. If you don't like it, find a better one that fits all the evidence. Win the Nobel prize, become rich, (and donate it to charity or your church, if that's your thing) and find yourself admired the world over with a perfect platform to pass on your Gods message.

On the other hand, according to YEC's creationism, as the explaination for bio diversity, was the only thing taught for around 5900 years and it is now rejected by most of the world.

Moral? American schools are lousy at teaching biology because American schools are terrified of being accused of being Anti-Christian by fundamentalists YEC's and American school boards are allowed to dictate what will be taught in a science class, with little or no knowledge of what is actually accepted science.

If it takes a court case to actually make them teach science in science class, then something is seriously wrong with American schools.

18. loriersea

loriersea Well-Known Member

+221
    Anglican
    Married
    US-Democrat
    What about children who are homeschooled? Should their be curriculum standards for homeschooled children, or is it okay for parents to teach them anything they want, even if it is certifiable false?

I'm just concerned about where the right of children to accurate information comes in. Do they have any? Should they?

19. RightWingGirl

RightWingGirl Well-Known Member

+27
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I consider the belief that God created to be unscientific, but I consider the Young Earth hypothesis and the Intelligent Design hypothesis to be scientific theories. I am aware that many of you probably think otherwise. What, in your opinion, makes YEC and ID not scientific theories?

20. Electric Sceptic

+73
    Atheist
    YEC has been conclusively falsified.

ID is not science; it is philosophy. It makes no predictions, it has no supporting evidence whatsoever.