Should it be illegal for restaurants to feed obese people?

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't understand why it is assumed we are supposed to care about self esteem, The great god of the post war years.

Fine, we can ban fat people from restaurants. More room for me when I go out. Also I'd like a law banning stupid people from voting, and ugly people from reproducing.

Upvote 0

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Fine, we can ban fat people from restaurants. More room for me when I go out. Also I'd like a law banning stupid people from voting, and ugly people from reproducing.
Actually, the IQ test for voting... better yet, a credulity test. If you can believe...certain assertions... no votee for you. Too bad about that wall of separation.

Seriously though, self esteem is almost as huge a fetish in modern culture as a pain free life filled with exterior meaning. And just as big a bunch of garbage. You build self esteem the way you build respect. You are not owed it. You are not guaranteed it. Adversity creates it.

As far as fat people, I don't care who serves them what, but I know my insurance rates directly grow because of them, same as smokers and drinkers and druggies. They all look the same to me. If we allow any we should allow all. If we allow none we should go ahead and call ourselves a fascist state.

Upvote 0

stan1980

Veteran
Jan 7, 2008
✟12,040.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As far as fat people, I don't care who serves them what, but I know my insurance rates directly grow because of them, same as smokers and drinkers and druggies. They all look the same to me. If we allow any we should allow all. If we allow none we should go ahead and call ourselves a fascist state.

Quite right, i say we just allow them all (drugs included), and let adults make their own mind up about what they consume.

These are all public health issues, they are certainly not civil law issues.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Actually, the IQ test for voting... better yet, a credulity test. If you can believe...certain assertions... no votee for you. Too bad about that wall of separation.
Even without the wall it is still unconstitutional. See Jim Crow laws.

Upvote 0

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
Sorry didn't explain myself very well. I meant the government should be looking at teaching people how to eat better. It should start in school.
You know what happens when they do? Kids don't eat, get low blood sugar and end up getting worse grades. Force them to eat? Parents start whining. Force the parents to shut up and act like humans? Civil rights violations. Strike them down? Armed uprisings. Quell them? Police state.

We could teach critical thinking early on, but that would take money and ruin faith. So we will get fatter, lazier, stupider and eventually be conquered by the Chinese.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian

I will support this law, if the following are attached.

All sellers of cigarettes cannot sell cigarettes to those who smoke (directly or indirectly).

All sellers of alcohol cannot sell alcohol (meaning alcoholic beverages) to those who drink it (ditto).

All sellers of any form of entertainment cannot sell it to those who over indulge in it.

(and if you miss the sarcasm in that, get out of here and go back to 3rd grade).

Upvote 0

Vene

In memory of ChordatesLegacy
Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
OK, time for the first test of something like this. Nope, it's not The Onion. Next, the date, nope not April Fool's. Now to see if it's on any other news site. Yep, it checks out. (Sites are here)

Well, it's not a parody, as such I will give my opinion. This is stupid. As another poster here stated, education on nutrition and exercise is the key. Did I mention that this was stupid?

Upvote 0

feral

Dostoyevsky was right
Jan 8, 2003
✟12,716.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It's a foolish idea. People who are obese still need to eat. To suddenly stop eating would kill anyone's metabolism within a very short time and cause more harm, since the next time they ate even a small amount, they could gain more weight. I think it would be logical to suggest restaurants make sure more of their entree choices are in line with good health requirements, but that's about the limit to what I think a state can mandate.

Upvote 0

Vene

Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's a foolish idea. People who are obese still need to eat. To suddenly stop eating would kill anyone's metabolism within a very short time and cause more harm, since the next time they ate even a small amount, they could gain more weight. I think it would be logical to suggest restaurants make sure more of their entree choices are in line with good health requirements, but that's about the limit to what I think a state can mandate.
To be honesty, that is pushing the limit. And you are 100% right about metabolism. Without food the first thing the body breaks down is actually muscle. The human body needs 1000 or so calories a day so that it won't break down muscle and instead digest its fat stores.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
OK, time for the first test of something like this. Nope, it's not The Onion. Next, the date, nope not April Fool's. Now to see if it's on any other news site. Yep, it checks out. (Sites are here)

Well, it's not a parody, as such I will give my opinion. This is stupid. As another poster here stated, education on nutrition and exercise is the key. Did I mention that this was stupid?
Everyone always says "educate them". They don't care. That's the beauty of it. Give a human enough ease and they demonstrate their evolutionary heritage to the point of insanity. If creationists want proof of evolution I would present the 600 pound man.

Upvote 0

Vene

Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Everyone always says "educate them". They don't care. That's the beauty of it. Give a human enough ease and they demonstrate their evolutionary heritage to the point of insanity. If creationists want proof of evolution I would present the 600 pound man.
If the facts don't stick, so be it. And to be perfectly honest, exercising can be fun. It's all a matter of finding something that you genuinely enjoy do.

Upvote 0

CSmrw

Jan 10, 2006
✟10,350.00
Faith
Atheist
If the facts don't stick, so be it. And to be perfectly honest, exercising can be fun. It's all a matter of finding something that you genuinely enjoy do.
God love you. If anyone in America honestly believes when they hit 225 that they are doing alright, they have already ignored the amount of education I had in the 1st grade.

Upvote 0

Vene

Oct 20, 2007
Michigan
✟13,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
God love you. If anyone in America honestly believes when they hit 225 that they are doing alright, they have already ignored the amount of education I had in the 1st grade.
No argument here. Although it is nice that trans fats are being removed from various foods.

Upvote 0