Should infants/toddlers receive Communion?

Should infants/toddlers receieve Communion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,895.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Makes me think of Psalm 51:5
Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

Yes, but the same person said, in Psalm 139, that God saw him before he was born and praised God that he was "fearfully and wonderfully made". So what could have been going on?
I don't know, but Psalm 51 was written just after David had committed adultery, murder and been foound out by Nathan. He no doubt felt utterly wretched - just as Job did with all his suffering when he cursed the day he had been born, and just like I may say "oh I'm completely useless" when I'm feeling down or bad about myself.
It's not necessarily a statement of fact or doctrine that everyone is born in sin.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can't believe this needs to be said, but the Holy Eucharist, the Medicine of Immortality, is spiritual nourishment, not physical.

But, though someone may think they are well-fed and nourished, they may be near starvation and spiritual death, far from Life.

Yep and further more... tsk... How a teaspoon of diluted wine to 50% water and 50% wine would EVER harm a person. I have not met a doc yet who has denied his patients from recieving communion. And I frequent the hospitals.. lol...

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Should infants/toddlers receive Communion? Why or why not?

Side question: Does a young child need to have sufficient knowledge of what communion is to partake?
Yeah...The medicine of immortality. Infants understand the spiritual part of Eucarist sure they do. Sometimes even better than us. Can we ever prove it? No. Does it matter if we can or not? Why would it matter the first place we are not giving them something to harm them with...

How can Eucarist harm an infant?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

Let's see what God says to that question:

First Corinthians 11:27-29, So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Every person must examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

First Corinthians 11:27-29, So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Every person must examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves. .

Please also include verse 30 -

That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

Paul makes it crystal clear that there are consequences to eating and drinking in an unworthy manner (improper examination or lack thereof).

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

First Corinthians 11:27-29, So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Every person must examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Cuttin and pasting verses to prove my statement wrong is hardly any evidence where does it say children are taking Eucarist unoworthy? And who is taking Eucarist worthy? I know no one since we all sin... and ask forgiveness...How do you know how the infants spiritually? You do not! Case closed.

1. You do not know spiritually what the infants are experiencing
2. Infants can sin... ? what they go into their diapers and cry to be changed??

3. To them belongs the Kingdom of God : said by Christ...denying communion we deny them the kingdom.

4. NO one is taking communion with "absolute" worthiness...when did communion is merritological in nature? The verse you quoted has to do with preperaton for Eucarist and yeah we need to reconcile with our brother to take it. That though does not make us "pure" as it is the acutal Eurarist that does. We are not taking communion as a 'present" it is not a trophy...for good behaviour but a "medicine" and sustainance for "staying in the vine" and be in communion with Christ. So why would Christ deny the innocent infants from His kingdom?

Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.

Paul makes it crystal clear that there are consequences to eating and drinking in an unworthy manner (improper examination or lack thereof).
So if you have a room with adults and children taking communion and say this that would apply to kids...comm'n give me a break...

Of course that applies to adults like an infant would be sick All EO and RC kids should be dead by now ^_^^_^^_^ including myself...:doh::sorry:

The reason this is said is because we need to prepare or it won't benefit us. So we will get sick... not because God will induce evil on us how can God gives us evil while He is all love it is our disposition. We will not benefit us spritually as well as physically as spiritual health does manifests itself in physical health also...

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Philothei said:

Philothei -

I simply quoted - verbatim - from Scripture.

IF you think that Scripture says the Eucharist CAN harm, okay.

IF you disagree, don't get mad at me! ;)

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Josaih you still to prove the Bible says they infants cannot take communion. What you quote is for adults. Nothing that says "infants are excluded form taking communion" or "infants cannot take it cause abcd..."

I am not mad; I am surprised!!! lol...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Thekla

And John writes in his epistle that if our conscience does not weigh on us, we may be bold before God.

What has an infant done that their conscience would keep them from the Eucharist ?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not accusing you of saying one has to have faith before being baptized, but I am saying that you're being inconsistent by saying one must "examine themselves" before communion, but they don't need to have a profession of faith before baptism.

AGAIN,

1. Where did I ever post that one must have faith - for Baptism OR Communion? Your whole premise is based on something you've yet to show I EVER said.

2. There is no verse that says one must examine HIMSELF... and THEN be baptized. There is a clear, bold statement that EVERY person must examine HIMSELF and THEN drink of the cup and eat of the bread.

As I posted, I WANT to agree with your practice. It fits VERY WELL with my theology. But there IS that verse. I wanted to know how you deal with it. You told me: you dismiss it. Okay. Understood. I can't do that.

It appears to me at least that your only way out here would be to say that a baby isn't require to repent

We can't talk about Baptism here, but briefly.... "kai" does not mandate order. Adding a "then" to it does. Nor does it stress "repent for YOURSELF" You are confusing Sacraments and VERY different statements.

Here's the verse: "Every person must examine himself and then eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Perhaps you are willing to just delete the words "person" "himself" and "then." Or simply the whole mandate. I'm not. That seems to be the "rub."

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
[/size][/color][/font]

First Corinthians 11:27-29, So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.
Every person must examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

Philothei -

I simply quoted - verbatim - from Scripture.
IF you think that Scripture says the Eucharist CAN harm, okay.
IF you disagree, don't get mad at me! ;).
How bout the verse before that concerning the 2nd coming of the Lord :)

1 corin 11:26 For as often ever ye may be eating the Bread/arton <740>, this, and the drink-cup ye may be drinking,
the death of the Lord ye are according-messaging until which ever He may be coming/elqh <2064> (5632)
[Revelation 19:11]

Reve 19:11 And I saw the heaven having be opened and behold! A white horse
and the One sitting on it being called Faithful and True
and in justice He is judging and is battling.
Josaih you still to prove the Bible says they infants cannot take communion.
What you quote is for adults. Nothing that says "infants are excluded form taking communion" or "infants cannot take it cause abcd..."

I am not mad; I am surprised!!! lol...
I myself see nothing wrong with infants receiving communion :)

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
AGAIN,

1. Where did I ever post that one must have faith - for Baptism OR Communion? Your whole premise is based on something you've yet to show I EVER said.

2. There is no verse that says one must examine HIMSELF... and THEN be baptized. There is a clear, bold statement that EVERY person must examine HIMSELF and THEN drink of the cup and eat of the bread.

As I posted, I WANT to agree with your practice. It fits VERY WELL with my theology. But there IS that verse. I wanted to know how you deal with it. You told me: you dismiss it. Okay. Understood. I can't do that.

We can't talk about Baptism here, but briefly.... "kai" does not mandate order. Adding a "then" to it does. Nor does it stress "repent for YOURSELF" You are confusing Sacraments and VERY different statements.

Here's the verse: "Every person must examine himself and then eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Perhaps you are willing to just delete the words "person" "himself" and "then." Or simply the whole mandate. I'm not. That seems to be the "rub."

I'm sorry, but unless you can clearly demonstrate for us how a baby is able to repent, as is described in the "biblical mandate" in Acts 2:38, and how you reconcile this with your theology of paedobaptism, I have no reason to take your accusations here seriously, as you would be guilty of the same charge you are levelling against the paedocommunion folk; that is, making an exception for children within a clear "biblical mandate" as you say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

Thekla

What has an infant done that the conscience of an infant would have to condemn ?

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Josiah said:
AGAIN,

I'm sorry, but unless you can clearly demonstrate for us how a baby is able to repent, as is described in the "biblical mandate" in Acts 2:38, and how you reconcile this with your theology of paedobaptism, I have no reason to take your accusations here seriously, as you would be guilty of the same charge you are levelling against the paedocommunion folk; that is, making an exception for children within a clear "biblical mandate" as you say.

1. Are we allowed to switch the thread to a different topic?

2. There is no verse known to me that states, "Every person is to repent for himself and then may be baptized." If you know that verse, quote it. The verse here is, "Every person is to examine himself and then eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Apples and oranges. And as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, "kai" is simply a connecting word, it does not mandate order. But put a "then" with it, and it does. And "himself" means himself must do it, when that word isn't there, that mandate isn't there. Apples and oranges.

3. The verse is this: "Every person (anthropoi - ALL people) must examine HIMSELF and THEN eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Yes - if one ignores the mandate, they can do otherwise. I realize that.

Reactions: heymikey80
Upvote 0
D

David64

2. There is no verse known to me that states, "Every person is to repent for himself and then may be baptized." If you know that verse, quote it.

This one seems pretty close to what you're looking for.

Then Peter said to them, “Repent, (first) and let every one of you be baptized (second) in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Act. 2:38)

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This one seems pretty close to what you're looking for.

Then Peter said to them, &#8220;Repent, (first) and let every one of you be baptized (second) in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Act. 2:38)

Ya I already quoted this to him. This verse is just as much as a "mandate" as the other verse about communion, and I would argue it is even more imperative. There is no reason to say that the verse about communion is a universal mandate yet this one is not. It is simply picking and choosing.

As I mentioned before, I think it's relevant to the topic at hand, because it cuts to the core of the underlying premise used here to attack paedocommunion. Again, if you're going to argue against both, fine; but it just doesn't make any sense to me to argue for one yet exclude another. If this issue isn't addressed, I don't see a good reason why we should give any merit to such a criticism unless it is uniformly applied across the board.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
1. Are we allowed to switch the thread to a different topic?

2. There is no verse known to me that states, "Every person is to repent for himself and then may be baptized." If you know that verse, quote it. The verse here is, "Every person is to examine himself and then eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Apples and oranges. And as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, "kai" is simply a connecting word, it does not mandate order. But put a "then" with it, and it does. And "himself" means himself must do it, when that word isn't there, that mandate isn't there. Apples and oranges.

3. The verse is this: "Every person (anthropoi - ALL people) must examine HIMSELF and THEN eat of the bread and drink of the cup." Yes - if one ignores the mandate, they can do otherwise. I realize that.

Obviously it talks about adults. St. Paul was not doing youth work I guess...and was not adressing children in his sermons as adults were his primary audience. So to say it says 'people" is a moot point as the only place we see children been ministered to is CHRIST. and He indeed says when the disciples try to get the children away from the "Rabbi" as many caases even today occur that the 'priest" "minister" has to be 'left alone" to his duites, that they have to be shooed out still he said"

"Let the little children come to me for to them belongs the Kingdom of God" Again no one has attempted to deal with this verse and its meaning...If children are worthy from the lips of our Saviour that they are the truthful inheritants of such Kingdom why would we stiffle them?
13&#964;&#959;&#964;&#949; &#960;&#961;&#959;&#963;&#951;&#957;&#949;&#967;&#952;&#951;&#963;&#945;&#957; &#945;&#965;&#964;&#969; &#960;&#945;&#953;&#948;&#953;&#945; &#953;&#957;&#945; &#964;&#945;&#962; &#967;&#949;&#953;&#961;&#945;&#962; &#949;&#960;&#953;&#952;&#951; &#945;&#965;&#964;&#959;&#953;&#962; &#954;&#945;&#953; &#960;&#961;&#959;&#963;&#949;&#965;&#958;&#951;&#964;&#945;&#953; &#959;&#953; &#948;&#949; &#956;&#945;&#952;&#951;&#964;&#945;&#953; &#949;&#960;&#949;&#964;&#953;&#956;&#951;&#963;&#945;&#957; &#945;&#965;&#964;&#959;&#953;&#962;
14&#959; &#948;&#949; &#953;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#965;&#962; &#949;&#953;&#960;&#949;&#957; &#945;&#966;&#949;&#964;&#949; &#964;&#945; &#960;&#945;&#953;&#948;&#953;&#945; &#954;&#945;&#953; &#956;&#951; &#954;&#969;&#955;&#965;&#949;&#964;&#949; &#945;&#965;&#964;&#945; &#949;&#955;&#952;&#949;&#953;&#957; &#960;&#961;&#959;&#962; &#956;&#949; &#964;&#969;&#957; &#947;&#945;&#961; &#964;&#959;&#953;&#959;&#965;&#964;&#969;&#957; &#949;&#963;&#964;&#953;&#957; &#951; &#946;&#945;&#963;&#953;&#955;&#949;&#953;&#945; &#964;&#969;&#957; &#959;&#965;&#961;&#945;&#957;&#969;&#957;

Matthew 19:13 (btw the translation is messed up in some bibles. I translate this from the original Greek. )

He said for us not to hinder them to come to the Him
&#956;&#951; &#954;&#969;&#955;&#965;&#949;&#964;&#949; : do not hinder...

Are we to believe what HE said???

Icon of Christ blessing the children:

images

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.