Nashville
✟9,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am 24 years old, in college and work full time. I also still live with my parents. I am very close with my family and it’s been a joy living with them. However, the last year I have really felt a need to move on. I think being with my family is crippling my ability to fully mature. My life is very easy and I lack for nothing right now. I think I need to be put in a situation where I am forced to be out on my own, make tough descions and be forced out of my comfort zone.

This would come at a cost though. I currently work full time, so finding a place wouldn’t be that hard (Although having Christian roommates is a must for me). However I have been working on my associates degree for 3 years and am still not entirely sure what I want to do.
So if I am on my own I would have to maintain a job out of nesesity, and still work on school, which could be hard. Where as if I am living at home I could focus more on school.

I also think me living at home has caused me to be complacent about deciding on a career. I have narrowed it down, but can’t decide.

Sorry for being so long winded. I would appreciate any advice.

Nov 6, 2014
✟9,834.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you believe that moving out would help you in your self-development, do it. Observe for a few weeks and if you think that you are feeling and getting better, then continue what you are doing. But, if you feel homesick, miss your family, and feel that you can't live alone, then go back home.

• Agree
Reactions: frater_domus
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I also think me living at home has caused me to be complacent about deciding on a career. I have narrowed it down, but can’t decide.

I'm not sure that moving out will help with that decision.

Upvote 0

*Jesus Freak*

I Love Jesus
Nov 21, 2017
Maryland
✟12,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am also in college but a few years younger than you at the age of 21. I live in the dorms away at a Christian College and live at home when school is not in session. I don't have a Full Time job and only really work Part Time employment during the Summer. So that is the big difference between you and I and why I am not ready to even think about moving out of my parents home. My advice though is you said you have been working on your AA Degree for 3 years and really still don't exactly know what you want to study. I think you should make that decision first before moving out and making life even harder on yourself. If your parents aren't pressuring you to move out and you haven't said they are then why make things harder on yourself. Maybe you can suggest to your parents that you are willing to help pitch in for food and things like that. That may make you feel like you are contributing more. At this time though I think you should stay put and get an idea what you want to do for a career and focus on that.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Slash415

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville
✟9,530.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am also in college but a few years younger than you at the age of 21. I live in the dorms away at a Christian College and live at home when school is not in session. I don't have a Full Time job and only really work Part Time employment during the Summer. So that is the big difference between you and I and why I am not ready to even think about moving out of my parents home. My advice though is you said you have been working on your AA Degree for 3 years and really still don't exactly know what you want to study. I think you should make that decision first before moving out and making life even harder on yourself. If your parents aren't pressuring you to move out and you haven't said they are then why make things harder on yourself. Maybe you can suggest to your parents that you are willing to help pitch in for food and things like that. That may make you feel like you are contributing more. At this time though I think you should stay put and get an idea what you want to do for a career and focus on that.

Hey, thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I actually have made some what of a decision about my career, so I am thankful for that.

Reactions: *Jesus Freak*
Upvote 0

SamanthaMathis

An Amateur Consummate Traveler
Jun 26, 2015
Northeast
✟27,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Before even thinking of moving out, if you don't have the funds, just look and see what's out there. Look for roommates, or ask friends if they would be interested in moving out as well, any sort of support and cost of what it would be in the long run. I agree that the sooner you move out the more mature you will get.

Upvote 0