Should I get involved with Christians at College?

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
For as long as i've gone to college, i've never really looked into Christian stuff. Should I? I haven't tried for a multitude of reasons.
1) I don't do well at school. I almost got kicked out last semester, other people put so much importance at school, I haven't told many people how bad i'm doing or that i'm a GED Graduate. Would I even be allowed in with a less than 2.0 GPA?
2) I'm not very social, I commute so I go there by Public busing and go to class, then go straight home.

I know i'm right with God(I know Jesus is Lord and I do my best to obey his commands), and i've pledged myself to please him by doing well in school so i'm better equipped to serve him in my life, should I seek Christian stuff at College? Has it helped any of you with your grades/walk with God?

smile

Change? Good. This? Bad.
Jul 11, 2003
See that box on the curb? Not too shabby, eh?
✟5,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is no shame in having a GED. That's a great thing to have. I have one and I'm doing no different then any other traditional college student.

You can always search around and see if there are any groups that interest you and if there are, check them out. There's no harm in that. And if you happen to like them, keep going.

Upvote 0

apumic

Feb 27, 2006
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
If I were you, I'd look into some of the Christian groups on campus and see if any of them interest you. It's always helpful to have fellowship with other believers.
Are you involved in a local church?

Also, even if you don't consider yourself social, you should know that college is just as much about networking as it is about classes and coursework. If you don't build at least some helpful relationships with your peers and professors now, you're going to be behind your peers when you graduate! Networking is a critical thing to do while in college -- both professional networking and just the more natural, having fun kind.

Upvote 0

alfrodull

Senior Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
✟11,571.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Most schools don't have a minimum GPA requirement regarding non-athletic extracurriculars, because it would be nearly impossible to enforce. If you're worried about the Christian organizations themselves turning you down...unless they're specifically an academic honors society, kicking you out because of your GPA wouldn't be very Christian of them, would it? On the contrary, I think you could find a lot of friendship, support, and maybe even study partners in a campus fellowship. I met someone in the same major as me, and we've helped each other through a couple tough classes.

If you're simply worried about the time commitment eating into your studies...Surely you must have some kind of leisure time? Instead of watching TV or surfing the net or whatever it is you do to unwind, try checking out one of the groups at your school. Maybe you'll actually find them *gasp* more fun than your current pastimes.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The question of grades brings up an issue that's worth looking at. Let me preface this by saying that grades are very important, and by no means should people sacrifice good grades. Grades, to the student, are effectively the equivalent of wages to working people. And as we know, God does not excuse us from our obligation to make our own living, except the case of professional ministry (2 Thessalonians 3:10, 1 Timothy 5:17-18).

Having specifically stated, then, my admonition that all Christian students should strive to earn good grades, I would like to express a concern of mine. I've noticed many students and parents who proceeed with the thought process that godliness will result in better grades, and that faithfulness to Jesus is only useful insofar as it results in better grades. But it says,
If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. (1 Timothy 6:3-5)
We need to be careful here. Being faithful to Jesus will not necessarily result in better grades. When I was in college, I knew very strong believers who didn't get the best grades. I am now a graduate student in a university physics department, and even at this level I know a fellow graduate student who is quite a faithful Christian, and currently only has a 2.9 GPA. It seems to me like a student version of the prosperity gospel may have slipped into the church, and it's very important to purge this thinking. We ought to adore Jesus because he is the health and salvation of our souls, not because he will get us better grades. Good grades will come to those who study hard, whether the student is Christian or unbeliever.

As someone who was recently an undergrad, my suggestion is this: study diligently, but set your mind on eternal things rather than mortal things. Remember, in eternity your salvation will matter much more than how you did in school. Don't sacrifice on good grades. But I think the Lord's instructions to the rich also apply to the good students:
As for the rich in this present age, charge them not to be haughty, nor to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly provides us with everything to enjoy. (1 Timothy 6:17)
Ultimately the Gospel won't get you better grades. It will save your soul from the everlasting fires of condemnation.

Upvote 0

pokeyliz14

CF chick
Apr 12, 2003
✟1,604.00
Faith
Baptist
If you find one you like I think it's definantly worth it we are always encouraging eachother to go to class :) and work hard. Even when we just see eachother in passing. It is nice tos know that there are other christians in school going though the same things as you. I go to a school where most people commute some on public transportation like you I hope that you find a christian group that you like grades r usually not an issue to get into one you just go and I hope it helps. Best wishes next sememster

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'd say you don't know what you're missing. Find, one, join one. You will grow in your faith as well as socially. You will have fun with good people. And maybe, if they are a productive bunch, it will rub off on you and your grades will improve.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums