Should Christians Vote Yes on 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredhead320

Oct 23, 2006
✟15,950.00
Faith
Christian
I am actually split on this issue just to let everyone know. I believe it could be good to vote no because by showing tolerance, some people would come to like Christians more and then possibly become Christian - then fully understand why it is wrong. If you vote yes, you give off bad vibes which makes more people hostile to Christians and it comes off as unloving - then they become less interested because it seems as if we are hardly being loving - even if our intentions for them are good. However, I think we leave the door open for other immoral unions to take place if we vote No (such as polygamy or inappropriate behavior with animals). I just don't know that we are changing anyone by not allowing a civil union. It's as if we're just stating what our morals are and trying to let everyone else know what is wrong but in reality it just makes people hostile.

Upvote 0

wonderwaleye

Dec 23, 2005
MISSISSIPPI
✟5,952.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Shredhead320

When GOD'S WORD says:

" "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. ... Do not defile yourselves by any of these things" (Leviticus 18:22, 24).

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination..." (Leviticus 20:13).

"For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error" (Romans 1:26-27).

"Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts ... shall inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

"...The law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, ... immoral persons, sodomites ... and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine" (1 Timothy 1:9-10). "

How could we vote to allow this abomination and be a believing CHRISTIAN???

IN ALL THIS EVIL WE MUST REMEMBER:

X Even though you can't see him, GOD is there!!! O
( click on the x and drag to the O ) ( then see who is with you ) steven

Upvote 0

paladin_carvin

Apr 30, 2006
Stewartsville, NJ
✟15,647.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
(lol on the [A Lot of Huge Text]. Seriously wonderwaleye, I can not imagine anyone taking you seriously with that text. I always imagine some cartoon guy yelling as loud as he can when I read what you say)

To the point. I don't know what state you are, so I don't know what your issue 1 is. But the fact is, voting your personal morals on a ballet that has effect outside your person is well... unethical. That is the same as saying 'giving in to my want for chocolate is wrong. So there should be a law against anyone having chocolate.' What if Muslims came into power in an area, and voted that no woman could leave the home without a shal on their heads. I don't think you would like that at all.

Upvote 0

anonymousAdviser

Oct 17, 2006
✟8,057.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What do you think?

(For those of you who don't know this means, should Christians vote "yes" for an Amendment to the state constituion to restrict gay marriage?)

Marriage is between a man and a woman... not between anyone else.

I see a post talking about "tolerance". "Tolerance" is a secular term used by athiests today... as a part of their "multi-cultural" world outlook. In reality, they view Christianity as what they should be intolerant of... and Christian, Western culture as inferior culture to more wicked ones.

Likewise, such people equate homosexual "marriage" with hetereosexual marriage.

There is no equation.

It is an abomination.

Homosexuals teach that their movement is not new... that, in the past, all homosexuals were just closet cases. So, now we see them rewriting histroy, looking for gays in the cloest everywhere, even fingering men like Lincoln as gays.

In reality, the rise of homosexuality in this culture is symptomatic of the corrosion of moral values... just as Sodom and Gemorrah were.

That has nothing to do with being nice to outsiders... unbelievers. Most gays don't even keep with a single partner. Those who do are free to do so, but there is no reason to corrupt entirely the meaning of the institution of marriage to do so.

Upvote 0

paladin_carvin

Apr 30, 2006
Stewartsville, NJ
✟15,647.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Tolerance is a virtue. Tolerance means loving what you don't like. I'd say that is pretty Christian right there. Why shouldn't Christians be ok with homosexuality outside of their own churches? Do you think the Jews should outlaw all lobster in this country? Oh yea! That makes sense, because I remember that IT is an abomination to THEM. But, Jewish people are pretty TOLERANT of our love of shellfish, and I appreciate this fact. I'm sure many non-Christians (and gay Christians) will appreciate you being tolerant of their different views.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lilymarie

The love of heaven makes one heavenly -Shakespeare
Jun 15, 2006
In the here and now
✟12,370.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I mean yes. Talk about multi-tasking! lol

And shellfish is not going to effect the moral structure of the family unit of man, woman, and children.

However, civil unions for equal rights is another thing, but I believe that is a states' rights issue.

If we don't protect marriage between one man and one woman, then all types of peoples who want different marriages are going to demand their equal rights also, and that could be endless.

Upvote 0

DailyBlessings

O Christianos Cryptos; Amor Vincit Omnia!
Oct 21, 2004
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
✟30,234.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would never vote to restrict the civil rights of an American citizen, regardless of who they are or what I think of their "lifestyle". When you confirm it is okay to create a second class, without the rights of the rest, democracy hangs in the balance. And who do you think is going to be next?

Upvote 0

intricatic

...a dinosaur... or something...
Aug 5, 2005
Ohio
✟58,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
(lol on the [A Lot of Huge Text]. Seriously wonderwaleye, I can not imagine anyone taking you seriously with that text. I always imagine some cartoon guy yelling as loud as he can when I read what you say)

To the point. I don't know what state you are, so I don't know what your issue 1 is. But the fact is, voting your personal morals on a ballet that has effect outside your person is well... unethical. That is the same as saying 'giving in to my want for chocolate is wrong. So there should be a law against anyone having chocolate.' What if Muslims came into power in an area, and voted that no woman could leave the home without a shal on their heads. I don't think you would like that at all.
If a majority of Americans wanted sharia law instituded, what right would we have to deny them that? We live in a Democratic state, no?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

w00dy

just a person
Feb 13, 2006
manchester
✟16,247.00
Faith
Christian
look a real 'marriage' is one which the lord accepts. these civil liberty things are exactly that. to those who say it is against god for gay marraige laws then i would seriously ask you, which are more important to you? the laws of the land or the laws of the lord because your a really getting them confused, the land you live in and love is no garden of eden and holds as many sinners as anywhere else. i personaly find the de-'christ'ing of christmas a far harder blow, but its one we all roll over with, and in most cases even unwittingly promote with our capitalist spending habits, hah we posion the minds of the young away from christ in a yearly 'tradition' and then when they grow up homosexual, tell them they are sinners and judge them unworthy of kneeling at the feet of our lord. its a good job jesus is good at his job, coz we dont halve try to make it hard for him.

edit: btw im not advocating not celebrating the birth of the lord - i just think its sickening that its become so much about £&p

Upvote 0

paleodoxy

Catechumen
Sep 27, 2005
Depends on the time of day...
✟17,361.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am so disillusioned by politics, I don't generally get involved anymore -- and I have no intention of voting this year or in 2008. The two mainline parties have strayed so far from God's Word that voting has become a formality for many Christians. Then there are many evangelicals deceived into thinking that President Bush is somehow the epitome of godliness and Christian virtue. (I won't even get into that right now.)

The question posed in the OP implicitly assumes that abstention from voting on the issue of allowing homosexuals to marry is far worse than voting one way or another on the choices presented. Why?

As Christians, our job is to proclaim Christ and Him crucified to a world that loves death, and seeks to escape the only source of Life available to them -- the grace and mercy of the eternal God in His only-begotten Son, Jesus Christ Who came to die in the stead of sinners, and who sent His Holy Spirit to minister to the hearts of those whom He will enlighten and lead to repentance apart from any effort of their own or any intrinsic goodness in themselves.

This Gospel teaches us that the nature of our commissioning naturally excludes the attempt to fight these moral wars within the framework of secular political coercion. This is not a Christian nation at the political or legal or constitutional level, as much as Christians may wish it were. In those situations, politics be damned. We are charged with the task of bringing the love of Christ and the message of repentance and restoration to human hearts, just as the early Christians did in Rome.

Equally, neither are we to go out and actively SUPPORT this lifestyle by our vote. We are Christians who (last I checked) recognized the Word as God's divinely inspired and infallible standard and rule for faith and life and salvation. Our lives are to reflect its every teaching.

Our only option is the Gospel. And it is a Gospel that the Church must once again be willing to die for, if need be. Until we understand that, we are bound to remain an irrelevant, impotent, fundamentalist, introverted, legalistic, cult-like sect with an endless litany of "do's" and "dont's".

The Gospel has rules -- do's and dont's -- but it is greater than the sum of its parts, and is primarily characterized by the fact that it is the only religion which is capable of transforming and transfiguring the whole creation and everyone in it -- because the Word is more than lifeless words on a page; it is a Person, a living, breathing eternal Being who came down from Heaven to meet man on his own level by taking upon Himself human flesh, and dying as a perfect sacrifice to remove the sin and guilt of all those who turn to Him for everlasting life in genuine repentance.

We put our faith in a Divine Person -- the God-Man -- who, in adding human flesh to His divine nature, became a bridge of reconciliation between humanity and God. This is the one and only hope of our calling. Preach the Word, and let politics take care of of itself.

Upvote 0

MercyBurst

Senior Veteran
Aug 20, 2006
South
Visit site
✟21,385.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think?

(For those of you who don't know this means, should Christians vote "yes" for an Amendment to the state constituion to restrict gay marriage?)

We already voted down gay marriage in the last election. Just say "no" to gay marriage, "yes" to the ban. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

127Rockledge

look a real 'marriage' is one which the lord accepts. these civil liberty things are exactly that. to those who say it is against god for gay marraige laws then i would seriously ask you, which are more important to you? the laws of the land or the laws of the lord because your a really getting them confused, the land you live in and love is no garden of eden and holds as many sinners as anywhere else.

God has commanded us to obey the ordinance of the land.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
What do you think?

Meh, I dont think it matters one way or another. If the state will marry two atheists, who cares if the state marries two men? The state does not marry people in the eyes of God, ministers (and rabbis) do that. It has absolutely nothing to do with the body of Christ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.