Should Christians attend same sex weddings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Discussing the rights & wrongs of SSM is not allowed in this forum but I don't think this question violates the rule. The question of attending a SS wedding is an issue a lot of Christians may have to deal with in the not too distant future somewhere in their family.

There is a possible conflict for some in that we might attend a heterosexual wedding not permitted by Scripture, but refuse to attend a SS wedding.

Where we draw the line is a matter of personal conscience & belief, condoning certain activities and not others. For instance, I would not object to a gay son/daughter bringing a partner to dinner at my house, but I would not invite them to stay overnight in the guest bedroom.

I suppose I am mostly interested in responses from Christians, but non-believers comments are welcome.

Matthias Rose

1 Cor 10:23
Jun 21, 2015
Seattle
✟8,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whatever your feelings about same sex weddings, I don't think it is ever Christian to withhold your love and support for others.

If you can't be loving and supportive at the wedding of your friends and family than you should stay home out of simple politeness: nobody wants a picketer at their wedding.

But Jesus broke bread with the worst sinners of his time. He did it with love, and without judgement. With an offer of unconditional love and salvation. If he had been all Westoborough on those sinners, he would NOT have been invited back.

Conclusion: if Christians can bring the open love of God to support their friends and family, regardless of whether they think it is a scripturally authorized event or not, then they should do so. Do you go to the "office christmas party" where non-believers celebrate "Christmas" by getting drunk? Do you stand there declaring the real meaning of Christmas and telling people to stop drinking? No? Then you can probably go to your friend's same sex wedding, and you can be happy for their love, even if you think they may have some work to do before they lead a perfect and sinless life.

As do you we all.

Upvote 0

Winepress777

Jun 8, 2015
✟8,905.00
Faith
Christian
Discussing the rights & wrongs of SSM is not allowed in this forum but I don't think this question violates the rule. The question of attending a SS wedding is an issue a lot of Christians may have to deal with in the not too distant future somewhere in their family.

There is a possible conflict for some in that we might attend a heterosexual wedding not permitted by Scripture, but refuse to attend a SS wedding.

Where we draw the line is a matter of personal conscience & belief, condoning certain activities and not others. For instance, I would not object to a gay son/daughter bringing a partner to dinner at my house, but I would not invite them to stay overnight in the guest bedroom.

I suppose I am mostly interested in responses from Christians, but non-believers comments are welcome.

I wouldn't attend any event celebrating the vile abomination of sodomy any more than Jesus would. It would be the same as celebrating a murderers' reunion, or a pedophiles' reunion or a druken office orgy for fun.
To even consider it is disgusting and against all that is Holy. Christian's, STAND for something! Make the Will of God Known. Loudly! By your words and actions! By the Word of God!

Upvote 0

Matthias Rose

Jun 21, 2015
Seattle
✟8,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And thus you have a good indication of the spread of thinking on this topic! :)

It sounds like Winepress would probably not get an invite, in any case. His opinions on this matter are unambiguous!

Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Homosexuality itself is wrong.
So I wouldnt encourage it in any form.

Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Whatever your feelings about same sex weddings, I don't think it is ever Christian to withhold your love and support for others.

If you can't be loving and supportive at the wedding of your friends and family than you should stay home out of simple politeness: nobody wants a picketer at their wedding.
Does this mean you would be loving and supportive if a member of the family decided to join a satanic cult?
Because it's important as a Christian to show you love and support to everyone. According to you.
Which I dont exactly disagree with.
But Jesus broke bread with the worst sinners of his time. He did it with love, and without judgement. With an offer of unconditional love and salvation. If he had been all Westoborough on those sinners, he would NOT have been invited back.
I seen this quote on FaceBook that said, "when people say what Jesus would do, remind them that beating people with a whip and overturning tables is always an option."
Conclusion: if Christians can bring the open love of God to support their friends and family, regardless of whether they think it is a scripturally authorized event or not, then they should do so. Do you go to the "office christmas party" where non-believers celebrate "Christmas" by getting drunk? Do you stand there declaring the real meaning of Christmas and telling people to stop drinking? No? Then you can probably go to your friend's same sex wedding, and you can be happy for their love, even if you think they may have some work to do before they lead a perfect and sinless life.

As do you we all.
Jesus said, if we love him, we will do what he wants. What he wants is in the bible.

Am I against the people who call themselves gay and lesbian? Nope.
Am I against the sin that leads people to call themselves gay and lesbian? Yup.

A sins a sin. I'll treat every sin the same and let people know that Hell is real and that God hates sin but loves the sinner.
Jesus is friend to the sinner but he still died for our sins and to encourage sin is to mock Jesus.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟906,875.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't think it is ever Christian to withhold your love and support for others.

That has its limits. There's a difference between loving and supporting someone and showing support for sin.

No, Christians should not go to a SSM.

Upvote 0

marvmax

interested in most things religious
Sep 11, 2005
NM
✟10,007.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

This. I wish more Christians thought this way. I know my wife does.

Upvote 0

Matthias Rose

Jun 21, 2015
Seattle
✟8,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does this mean you would be loving and supportive if a member of the family decided to join a satanic cult?
Because it's important as a Christian to show you love and support to everyone. According to you.
Which I dont exactly disagree with.

Great example. It clarifies the deeper distinction on the topic that we are not allowed to debate here.

I will be loving, no matter what. I will want to get to the heart and truth of the reality of a person's experience, and be present and honest with them in private. Sure: if someone invited me to a satanic cult initiation ritual, I would not be able to go to that; I would *not* be able to support them in that, I could not join in that celebration because in my heart I would not be celebrating. I would lovingly tell them why, make sure they understood that it was out of my love for them that I could *not* be there. And perhaps that's what you and Winepress would do. Fair enough.

And that would be my revised guidance (thank you for helping me get to a clearer place) to the original poster: CAN you celebrate their union with your heart? If so, yes. If not, no.

I seen this quote on FaceBook that said, "when people say what Jesus would do, remind them that beating people with a whip and overturning tables is always an option."

I will say I also draw the distinction between actions that destroy other people's lives and those that fall into purity law. I would do anything in my power to stop a murder, a rape, abuse, theft, slander, etc. If my own child were committing these kinds of crimes, at any age, I would NOT be supportive, I would do anything in my power to stop the sin, including involving law enforcement, etc.

But, as you can imagine, I have a considerably different attitude to purity law than you do.

There is a lot we will have to agree to disagree on, or take to a different forum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I would go to the wedding.

I really like Mathias' distinction between actions that hurt people and the purity laws. That's pretty much the guidance I follow as I decide what to do in situations.

Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great example. It clarifies the deeper distinction on the topic that we are not allowed to debate here.

I will be loving, no matter what. I will want to get to the heart and truth of the reality of a person's experience, and be present and honest with them in private. Sure: if someone invited me to a satanic cult initiation ritual, I would not be able to go to that; I would *not* be able to support them in that, I could not join in that celebration because in my heart I would not be celebrating. I would lovingly tell them why, make sure they understood that it was out of my love for them that I could *not* be there. And perhaps that's what you and Winepress would do. Fair enough.

And that would be my revised guidance (thank you for helping me get to a clearer place) to the original poster: CAN you celebrate their union with your heart? If so, yes. If not, no.

I will say I also draw the distinction between actions that destroy other people's lives and those that fall into purity law. I would do anything in my power to stop a murder, a rape, abuse, theft, slander, etc. If my own child were committing these kinds of crimes, at any age, I would NOT be supportive, I would do anything in my power to stop the sin, including involving law enforcement, etc.

But, as you can imagine, I have a considerably different attitude to purity law than you do.

There is a lot we will have to agree to disagree on, or take to a different forum.
That was a well thought out post and I really like your answer, so I liked the post. Which seems to be rare around here for some reason.
I think for me, my own opinions dont count. Well, they do and they dont. I know Jesus is real, I know Jesus loves everyone but I also know that he is wiser then I am, he is more knowledgeable then I am and there are certainly things in the world that he is going to understand at a much more higher level than I could.
So my best bet is to listen to what the bible says and do what it tells me to and it's contrary to what youre saying.

I think I would rather chance someone not liking me by telling them the truth than to let that person go on believing a lie. (Which is the same as if they were in a satanic cult, because both paths lead to Hell.)
And my own distinctions of what is wrong or right dont even come close to comparing the truth of Jesus Christ.

But if you like, we can argue this idea from a secular point of view?

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Mattao I can certainly understand where you are coming from. There are so many authoritative voices out there, if I have to choose personally
between all the views how can't I do that much work to figure it out. I know I have been overwhelmed at times myself.
Most people aren't academics and so don't have the interest to study all that stuff.
Most people don't have the time as they have bills to pay, a job to preform.
Most people have family and friends they need to spend time with.
So we like the pastor of our church and what he says makes a lot of sense. So we trust what he says.

So I like the humility in your post by the way. :)

So the early Christians didn't understand it all either. Most of them never ever read the Bible and only ever so often heard a portion read to them.
We read 1 Cor. 1-3 how there were 4 groups. Paul never says one was right and the other 3 were wrong.
He just says don't be prideful about your position.
If we love God and love people then I think we can fulfill the law of God no matter what group of Christians we belong to.

Reactions: Matthias Rose
Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mattao I can certainly understand where you are coming from. There are so many authoritative voices out there, if I have to choose personally
between all the views how can't I do that much work to figure it out. I know I have been overwhelmed at times myself.
Most people aren't academics and so don't have the interest to study all that stuff.
Most people don't have the time as they have bills to pay, a job to preform.
Most people have family and friends they need to spend time with.
So we like the pastor of our church and what he says makes a lot of sense. So we trust what he says.

So I like the humility in your post by the way. :)

So the early Christians didn't understand it all either. Most of them never ever read the Bible and only ever so often heard a portion read to them.
We read 1 Cor. 1-3 how there were 4 groups. Paul never says one was right and the other 3 were wrong.
He just says don't be prideful about your position.
If we love God and love people then I think we can fulfill the law of God no matter what group of Christians we belong to.
Thank you for the kind words.
Paul said that we be perfectly joined in the same mind and same judgement.
When you speak of division, it comes from what men have taught, the bible remains consistent.
That's what Paul was saying that the Lord doesn't change and that it isnt people who make the "word" for you but Jesus.

(New King James)
1 Corinthians 55:
10 Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

(King James 2000)
Job 35:
2Think you this to be right, that you said, My righteousness is more than God's?
13Surely God will not hear vanity, neither will the Almighty regard it.
14Although you say you shall not see him, yet justice is before him; therefore you must trust in him.
15But now, because it is not so, he has visited in his anger; yet he knows it not in a great extreme:

I'm not saying that I dont understand the word or that the bible is beyond me and I need a pastor to clarify it for me.
Although I do have trouble with some of it and do look for help to understand some of the bible, that isn't what I meant.
And I do know what you meant.

(New King James)
Isaiah 55:
6 Seek the Lord while He may be found,
Call upon Him while He is near.
7 Let the wicked forsake his way,
And the unrighteous man his thoughts;
Let him return to the Lord,
And He will have mercy on him;
And to our God,
For He will abundantly pardon.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

1 Corinthians 1:25
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Should a Christian attend a Muslim or Buddist or Taoist Wedding? I mean, isn't that supporting another religion? Isn't that honoring a false god?

I feel that there is a new wave of Christianity, one of hate and rage. As seen in this thread, you can feel the hate and rage from posters on this topic and then they go one step further and figure out a way to put Jesus on their side.

Really?

The man who encompasses all the peace and love in the world would support your hateful angry views and agree with you?

Wow, the amount of mental gymnastics to believe that is astounding.

I wouldn't attend any event celebrating the vile abomination of sodomy any more than Jesus would.
I think Jesus would attend the event. Why not, Jesus loves everyone and broke bread with the worst sinners...

....It would be the same as celebrating a murderers' reunion
There is a difference between killing an innocent person and two consenting adults loving each other... The first is illegal just in case you didn't know, the second is legal

.....or a pedophiles' reunion
There is a difference between an adult molesting a child and two consenting adults loving each other... The first is illegal just in case you didn't know, the second is legal

......or a druken office orgy for fun.
A drunken office orgy though legal is hardly morally acceptable in this day and age, whereas a loving ceremony between two consenting adults dedicating their lives to each other is morally acceptable.

To even consider it is disgusting and against all that is Holy. Christian's, STAND for something! Make the Will of God Known. Loudly! By your words and actions! By the Word of God!

I thought Christians stood for peace and love.

Let me tell you about my conversion to Christianity .

I belonged to 2 churches and I noticed that there was a particular type of saved Christian that appealed to me. These Christians were full of life and love, they had an inner light about them, a quiet yet powerful force that just seemed to radiate from them. They were always quick to smile, looked you full in the eyes, listened to you, didn't judge you, always tried to help you. Their lives seemed so perfect, often with loving families.

I couldn't help but to be drawn to them, to want to be like them. Not to say they were perfect, they weren't but gosh darn it it wasn't for lack of trying. But they didn't really "try", they just were. They were great models of peace and love and hope and faith.

Those are the types of Christians that draw people to the Gospel. Those are the type of Christians that would attend the gay marriage. They wouldn't judge, they would wish the gay couple well.

You do not know how God will use you to serve him. That Christian couple appearing at that gay wedding could easily show someone else that Christianity is the way and the light. The couple could give someone great marriage advice and testimony that God is the only way to have a strong and successful marriage and that testimony could lead someone to God.

You don't know what you don't know. But what I do know is that Christians who are living examples of God's grace are the most powerful recruiters for God. And if you are a recruiter for God, then you have to go where the sinners go. duh.

I know you are filled with a lot of hate on this topic and I believe that Satan is really good at this, blinding Christians with hate and using hate to keep Christians from passing along the Gospel. And the BEST way to do that is to keep the Christians from the sinners by any means necessary.

Think about that.

how are you going to save others and pass on the Gospel if you refuse to interact with sinners?

As a Christian you should be a walking billboard of peace and love and light that draws others out of the darkness onto the lord.

Or put another way. ....

Who are you helping when you are a walking billboard of anger and hate and intolerance. Who benefits from that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should a Christian attend a Muslim or Buddist or Taoist Wedding? I mean, isn't that supporting another religion? Isn't that honoring a false god?
Are you referring to the satanic thing I said and then going into an unjustified rant?
I feel that there is a new wave of Christianity, one of hate and rage. As seen in this thread, you can feel the hate and rage from posters on this topic and then they go one step further and figure out a way to put Jesus on their side.

Really?

The man who encompasses all the peace and love in the world would support your hateful angry views and agree with you?

Wow, the amount of mental gymnastics to believe that is astounding.
It kinda looks like you are.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Are you referring to the satanic thing I said and then going into an unjustified rant?.

No, I wasn't responding to your satanic cult thing FWIW.

A lot of Christians argue that attending a SSM is synonymous with supporting SSM. So by that extension of logic, if you attend a wedding, any wedding of any other faith you are supporting that faith and thus rejecting your Christianity are you not?

Basically, I'm using the rationale and logic used for not attending a SSM and I'm applying it to other venues. If the logic is consistent then it will hold up, if it is not consistent then one will need to twist stuff around and warp reality in order to make one's logic fit.

Or you could try to discredit my argument via name calling or comments like my "unjustified rant". I guess that can work in your mind. *shrug*

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I would go, and I have been to one, and I will go again. I would attend a SSM for the same reason that I attended my son's marriage to his girlfriend. Two people who loved each other and consented to marry each other were making a public bond at which they wanted us to rejoice. So we did.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mattao

Jun 9, 2015
✟1,128.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I wasn't responding to your satanic cult thing FWIW.

A lot of Christians argue that attending a SSM is synonymous with supporting SSM. So by that extension of logic, if you attend a wedding, any wedding of any other faith you are supporting that faith and thus rejecting your Christianity are you not?
Not necessarily.
I dont mean that anyone would be "rejecting" their Christianity by attending.
And it could mean that in the same sense I mean it, but it looks to be a sentence that needs to be cleared up.
What I mean is, they would be sending the wrong message as we are representatives of Christ and shouldnt promote sin and by attending we could be promoting sin and leading people to believe that sin is alright.
But see hearah!

/Using my blind baby voice.
Yoo Knoe! Yoo gots too beh kewl bout these things hearah, baybay!! Yahya!
Yoo Cahnt'ah let annhay boddee feels wrawng bout comin too da lawrd! DEY GOTS TAH FEEL RIGHT!!!
Thats a horrible impersonation.

No, actually. People need to know about sin to be able to ask for forgiveness.
Basically, I'm using the rationale and logic used for not attending a SSM and I'm applying it to other venues. If the logic is consistent then it will hold up, if it is not consistent then one will need to twist stuff around and warp reality in order to make one's logic fit.

Or you could try to discredit my argument via name calling or comments like my "unjustified rant". I guess that can work in your mind. *shrug*
It is?

Whats your argument?

Reactions: slateblue
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.