Should Cannabis Be Legalized? Is It A Sin To Consume?

Nov 1, 2018
Saskatchewan
✟16,467.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Marijuana tends to be polarizing in people’s personal opinions. Some worship it as the solution to all harm and the cure-all for every disease in the world. Others rail against it as if a user must be lazy, couch-potatoe, irresponsible, lacking intelligence, or even a victim of the supposed “reefer madness.” It is time to take an honest and open-minded look at cannabis. What is God’s opinion on it? If cannabis is legal in a state or nation, is God okay with us using it, or is it counted a sin?
Read The Article Here: Why Legalizing Cannabis Is A Righteous Cause

Last edited:

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's great for medical use.
But that's not the substance that makes you 'high'.

I've smoked away a LOT of weed, up to a couple of years ago.
It's not good for your mental health.

Yeah i think it's a sin be pursue being high, or drunk, or stoned, or tripping.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
As written, whatever is not of faith in Jesus is sin.

If someone "trusts man's ways", INSTEAD of trusting Yahweh's Way, then it is not only sin, but it brings Yahweh's curse.

If cannabis is legal in a state or nation, is God okay with us using it, or is it counted a sin?

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2018
Saskatchewan
✟16,467.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
It's great for medical use.
But that's not the substance that makes you 'high'.

I've smoked away a LOT of weed, up to a couple of years ago.
It's not good for your mental health.

Yeah i think it's a sin be pursue being high, or drunk, or stoned, or tripping.

What about use in moderation? Jesus drank wine. Also, just so everyone knows in the OP I was actually posting a link to my article, not actually asking a question

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmm... Moderation...
I was never good at that...
It was my escape hatch, which turned out to be a bit of a prison in itself..

No, i don't think it's good to get high ever.
It FEELS good though.
But so does heroin... (or so i'm told).
Same goes for getting drunk.

But again, cannabis has some very good medical properties.

Sorry, still didn't read the article...
[edit]Page won't load on this geriatric device[/edit]

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that using marijuana to get high is a sin, because it falls under the same category as drinking to get drunk.

That being said, marijuana can be used to treat lots of issues including pain and anxiety. But I don't think--and correct me if I'm wrong--that THC (the chemical that gets you high) is necessary to treat medical issues. I've used a cannabis extract, sans THC, to treat my anxiety and my dog's anxiety. It worked just fine!

Getting high off of marijuana can have adverse effects, too. My ex struggled with depression and borderline personality disorder. His excessive marijuana use did not help this. It just increased his depression. So I really don't think it's a good idea to legalize it and give everyone the green light to just get stoned whenever they want. It's not healthy or necessary.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟966,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am opposed to recreational marijuana use, but I am in favor of legalization, or at least decriminalization. If we're going to make it illegal, give users a small fine like a traffic ticket and move on. Our country locks up a greater percentage of population than others. It's time to change that.

Some states that have legalized recreational marijuana use have had a reduction in teenage marijuana use. Why? Because black market marijuana sellers can't compete with legal sellers and have moved on to sell other drugs, and because minors can't buy legal marijuana. I suspect but don't know that youth in those states have merely moved on to something else to get high. Legalizing marijuana will be like the end of prohibition, running the black market segment pretty much out of business.

That said while I favor legalization, as an employer I'd still like the choice not to hire or retain someone who tests positive. I don't want stoned employees on the job and I have a bias that I've never known a heavy marijuana user that I thought was on top of their game. I tried to do business with a hotel desk clerk in Colorado last year who was so stoned as to be unhelpful to me as a customer. Don't need that in my business.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marijuana is known to bring on episodes of psychosis.
I think so are many medicines that are prescribed to millions if not billions of 'patients'.

Possibly also much that is in the corrupted food and water supply. And maybe even air pollution in some places.

• Agree
Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Marijuana tends to be polarizing in people’s personal opinions. Some worship it as the solution to all harm and the cure-all for every disease in the world. Others rail against it as if a user must be lazy, couch-potatoe, irresponsible, lacking intelligence, or even a victim of the supposed “reefer madness.” It is time to take an honest and open-minded look at cannabis. What is God’s opinion on it? If cannabis is legal in a state or nation, is God okay with us using it, or is it counted a sin?

I used to be of the same opinion regarding marijuana ..I was a pretty much an every day user . I was an upstanding citizen , etc. and was very successful in the business world . I was also lost . Not an atheist as the world describes atheism but spiritually dead . Not able to understand the things of God and viewing everything through a carnal mind. Should it be legalized ? Not for those who are told to be sober minded which is difficult for those who neither smoke nor drink . Jesus ( my Lord ) said for His believers to watch and pray always for you know not the hour nor day of His return ...less He find you sleeping . We are told that by our words we will be justified or condemned . So my words to other parts of the body of Christ would say to be sober .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

worshipjunkie

Dec 30, 2018
Springfield
✟27,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I live in a state where it's legal. It's easier to find weed then alcohol in this state. There is pretty much a dispensary on every other block. A lot of people seem to get obsessed with it, very much like hard drinkers expect every social event and every personal crisis to involve alcohol. I've seen people try to come off it and the claim that it's not addictive is a bunch of garbage. I do think it can be used recreationally just like alcohol can, I don't think using it is necessarily a sin, and I think criminizalizing it isn't the best idea, but I have a lot of concerns about it. I wouldn't want my children to use it.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Question: "What does the Bible say about recreational marijuana use?"

Answer:
In some parts of the USA, and in many other parts of the world, governments are decriminalizing/legalizing the use of marijuana, not just for medical use, but for recreational purposes as well. Christians’ arguments against marijuana use have traditionally included a submit-to-the-government angle, but, of course, where marijuana is legalized, that aspect is removed from the equation. The question then arises, is it a sin to use marijuana in places where it is legal to do so?

In instances where recreational marijuana use is legal, there are still two primary issues that should keep people from using it. The first is the impact marijuana has on physical health. A recent study by the Journal of Neuroscience demonstrates that even casual marijuana use changes the brain and can lead to mental illness (see USA Today and Journal of Neuroscience). The fact that children are being hospitalized due to accidental marijuana exposure also demonstrates the health risks: MedicalDaily.com.

The health implications are by no means a secret. And the detailed scientific study demonstrating the effects of marijuana use on the brain was probably unneeded. Simple observation demonstrates that marijuana deadens the brain, resulting in laziness and an inability to concentrate or think clearly. The pain relief many receive from marijuana is a result of this brain-deadening effect. So, very similar to using tobacco and abusing alcohol, the recreational use of marijuana should be avoided due to its adverse effect on health. While the context of 1 Corinthians 6:12–20 is not specifically about harming the body, the clear implication is that we are not to intentionally do things that hurt our bodies.

The second reason to avoid recreational marijuana use is the fact that marijuana is addictive (see Psychology Today and Brown.edu). The Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become “mastered” by anything. “Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything” (1 Corinthians 6:12).

Beyond these two reasons, recreational marijuana use is not consistent with anything the Word of God tells us about the Christian life. We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2), not by the deadening of our minds. We are to be sober-minded about the devil’s schemes (1 Peter 5:8–9), not so stoned that we don’t even care. We are to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18), not baked/blasted/wasted by what is undeniably a harmful drug.

www.gotquestions.org/recreational-marijuana.html

• Winner
Reactions: John 1720
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I am a long time marijuana user, live in a state where it is legal, and support legalization. It is less harmful to users and society than alchohol, so it makes no sense for it to be illegal as long as alchohol is legal.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think that using marijuana to get high is a sin, because it falls under the same category as drinking to get drunk.

That being said, marijuana can be used to treat lots of issues including pain and anxiety. But I don't think--and correct me if I'm wrong--that THC (the chemical that gets you high) is necessary to treat medical issues. I've used a cannabis extract, sans THC, to treat my anxiety and my dog's anxiety. It worked just fine!

Getting high off of marijuana can have adverse effects, too. My ex struggled with depression and borderline personality disorder. His excessive marijuana use did not help this. It just increased his depression. So I really don't think it's a good idea to legalize it and give everyone the green light to just get stoned whenever they want. It's not healthy or necessary.
Do you support making alchohol illegal?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Question: "What does the Bible say about recreational marijuana use?"

Answer:
In some parts of the USA, and in many other parts of the world, governments are decriminalizing/legalizing the use of marijuana, not just for medical use, but for recreational purposes as well. Christians’ arguments against marijuana use have traditionally included a submit-to-the-government angle, but, of course, where marijuana is legalized, that aspect is removed from the equation. The question then arises, is it a sin to use marijuana in places where it is legal to do so?

In instances where recreational marijuana use is legal, there are still two primary issues that should keep people from using it. The first is the impact marijuana has on physical health. A recent study by the Journal of Neuroscience demonstrates that even casual marijuana use changes the brain and can lead to mental illness (see USA Today and Journal of Neuroscience). The fact that children are being hospitalized due to accidental marijuana exposure also demonstrates the health risks: MedicalDaily.com.

The health implications are by no means a secret. And the detailed scientific study demonstrating the effects of marijuana use on the brain was probably unneeded. Simple observation demonstrates that marijuana deadens the brain, resulting in laziness and an inability to concentrate or think clearly. The pain relief many receive from marijuana is a result of this brain-deadening effect. So, very similar to using tobacco and abusing alcohol, the recreational use of marijuana should be avoided due to its adverse effect on health. While the context of 1 Corinthians 6:12–20 is not specifically about harming the body, the clear implication is that we are not to intentionally do things that hurt our bodies.

The second reason to avoid recreational marijuana use is the fact that marijuana is addictive (see Psychology Today and Brown.edu). The Bible commands us not to allow our bodies to become “mastered” by anything. “Everything is permissible for me—but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible for me—but I will not be mastered by anything” (1 Corinthians 6:12).

Beyond these two reasons, recreational marijuana use is not consistent with anything the Word of God tells us about the Christian life. We are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2), not by the deadening of our minds. We are to be sober-minded about the devil’s schemes (1 Peter 5:8–9), not so stoned that we don’t even care. We are to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18), not baked/blasted/wasted by what is undeniably a harmful drug.

www.gotquestions.org/recreational-marijuana.html
I would encourage people to read the links you posted. Neither really condemns the moderate use of marijuana in adults whose brains have fully formed.

Marijuana does somewhat reorganize the brain (rather than killing brain cells like alchohol,) but I think a lot of people would say that is a neutral or positive thing. In my experience, marijuana use has helped me see and understand the world and spiritual matters better, just as meditation has. It is fantastic for creative problem solving and forgiveness. The positive effects seem to severely decrease with heavy usage though. Very heavy users do not seem to properly process their emotions, have impaired short term memory, and are not able to address relationship issues (IMO.). While light use can be helpful for depression, heavy use seems to make it worse.

Upvote 0

step_by_step

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All of the people harmed by the black market? Look at all of the violence caused by prohibition era crime.

Sure but having it accessible to everyone right now is causing just as much harm.
But this thread is about cannabis and not alcohol

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am opposed to recreational marijuana use, but I am in favor of legalization, or at least decriminalization. If we're going to make it illegal, give users a small fine like a traffic ticket and move on. Our country locks up a greater percentage of population than others. It's time to change that.

Some states that have legalized recreational marijuana use have had a reduction in teenage marijuana use. Why? Because black market marijuana sellers can't compete with legal sellers and have moved on to sell other drugs, and because minors can't buy legal marijuana. I suspect but don't know that youth in those states have merely moved on to something else to get high. Legalizing marijuana will be like the end of prohibition, running the black market segment pretty much out of business.

That said while I favor legalization, as an employer I'd still like the choice not to hire or retain someone who tests positive. I don't want stoned employees on the job and I have a bias that I've never known a heavy marijuana user that I thought was on top of their game. I tried to do business with a hotel desk clerk in Colorado last year who was so stoned as to be unhelpful to me as a customer. Don't need that in my business.
The difficulty there is that the tests will show positives even for people who are not high - who got high once on a vacation a week ago, etc. i.e. - not a heavy user, not high at work or even close to work.

It's not a sin any more than drinking a beer is a sin, and should be flat-out legal (and for the record, I'm not into it, but I think this anyway).

Upvote 0