Should American Christians pray for America?

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know how the title sounds, sorry if the very idea offends some of you. I also am aware how easily it is to dismiss such a "stupid" question; but then again I've never once shied from stupid questions, so it stands.

I watched "The untold history of the united states" early this morning, and am utterly appalled at the info I had learned, so now you have an inkling as to the catalyst for said question, but then my mind raced to the question: Would a German Christian, in good conscience feel comfortable praying for Hitler in '39?

It's not like there isn't precedent from the bible, God himself swears by his own name (iirc) that he will not allow Israel to enter the promised land (the generation delivered from Egypt) and that to pray about it or bring it up again would be POINTLESS.

So maybe, the better question is, is it now pointless as an American christian, to pray for this country?

I dunno, i'll freely admit I'm having doubts, but let me add this is not a persuasion thread on why you shouldn't pray for America, but a genuine introspection (for me) as to how can I pray for my country morally when in fact it has become so AMORAL. And obviously, to get some feedback for this line of thought and rather or not i am even wrong in thinking this as I do.

FWIW yes I know what the bible says about praying for our leaders, and we have always had corrupt leaders, but does anyone feel that there is a tipping point where God says "Enough, don't waste my time any more with these kind of prayers", or have we already arrived?

Anxiously awaiting to read some of these replies.

God bless.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ive asked this before using texts out of Jeremiah where God told Jeremiah not to pray for the Israelites. The predominant answer I got back was God wants all people to be saved so surely He wants us to pray for all people, even us. Americans.

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ive asked this before using texts out of Jeremiah where God told Jeremiah not to pray for the Israelites. The predominant answer I got back was God wants all people to be saved so surely He wants us to pray for all people, even us. Americans.

Thanks for the quick reply: Follow up.

If someone feels convicted when they pray then (current subject obviously), are they sinning or are they being deceived?

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I watched "The untold history of the united states" early this morning, and am utterly appalled at the info I had learned...

Well that was your first mistake.

Produced by Oliver Stone, it's a left-wing extremist propaganda piece filled with revisionism, lies and deception, that have been debunked.

The lefties want you think the "untold history" is the real history, but there's a reason it's 'untold'...it's because it's untrue.

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the quick reply: Follow up.

If someone feels convicted when they pray then (current subject obviously), are they sinning or are they being deceived?

How can the Holy Spirit convict you for praying on behalf of others when He wants them saved? That conviction comes from somewhere else.

If we are not to pray for sinners, then who can be saved? Jesus came to save people not destroy them.

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well that was your first mistake.

Produced by Oliver Stone, it's a left-wing extremist propaganda piece filled with revisionism, lies and deception, that have been debunked.

The lefties want you think the "untold history" is the real history, but there's a reason it's 'untold'...it's because it's untrue.

peace,
Simon

I'm sorry, but I left that "left/right" garbage years ago.

if you have any links that are unprejudiced that show that this series is pure propaganda, i'll be more than happy to look at it. but if the site includes flag waving & apple pie, i'll pass.

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can the Holy Spirit convict you for praying on behalf of others when He wants them saved? That conviction comes from somewhere else.

If we are not to pray for sinners, then who can be saved? Jesus came to save people not destroy them.
i agree with 90% of your answer, it's the other ten that bothers me.

it also bothers me that i know that some of the answers will be "pat" answers, and I've never been a fan of those either. too much like zero tolerance laws imo.

thanks.

Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

if you have any links that are unprejudiced that show that this series is pure propaganda, i'll be more than happy to look at it. but if the site includes flag waving & apple pie, i'll pass.

I'm rather surprised by your response!

You don't want "prejudiced" sources yet you've just cited an 'Oliver Stone' documentary of the most prejudiced kind.

FTR: I probably hate 'apple pie and flag waving' more than you do.

I don't have any links handy, but I'm sure you're capable of your own research if you're genuinely interested in the truth.

peace,
Simon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Why is it that it's always people trusting the liars who say they don't want any left/right garbage? Oliver Stone is an anti-American liar who speaks the language of his father, but he is somehow credible. I guess you believe what you want to believe.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i agree with 90% of your answer, it's the other ten that bothers me.

it also bothers me that i know that some of the answers will be "pat" answers, and I've never been a fan of those either. too much like zero tolerance laws imo.

thanks.

So what 10% bothers you? The part about God wanting all men to be saved? That's scripture man. If you don't agree then take that up with Him, not me.

It almost seems like you are looking for a specific answer and until you get it to validate whatever it is you are trying to validate, you won't be okay.

Scripture is clear, God wants all men to be saved. We should pray for everyone.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that it's always people trusting the liars who say they don't want any left/right garbage? Oliver Stone is an anti-American liar who speaks the language of his father, but he is somehow credible. I guess you believe what you want to believe.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Boy there sure is alot of assumption going on with this thread huh?

No, I am not looking for validation to be "anti-american" or whatever, it was a legit question since i am trying to sort this out.

"Real" history, shouldn't be biased, but it obviously is. How many here were told in school "Christopher Columbus discovered America", only to find out later that was complete nonsense? How many ppl here were told the civil war was about states' rights & slavery, then later found out that there were only 3 ports in the North, while there were 8 in the South. IIRC our main source of income at the time was tarriffs from imports, so that kinda spins the whole reason for civil war angle now don't it?

If you choose not to answer the OP in context, feel free not to, thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

So is Bush & Obama, what's your point?

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Aren't we told to pray for our leaders so there may be peace in our time? 1 Tim 2:2

Wouldn’t that mean American leaders for Americans?

I see it as Rush's remark about wanting Obama to "fail". (I am not predisposed to Limbaugh, I listen to alot of talk radio, of various formats so I can get the whole view of a position)

Should I pray for someone's soul? I think that's a given; but if someone is truly evil, maniacal, whatever, should I pray for their success & well being? That is what I am struggling with.

By doing so it almost feels like I am praying against myself and my fellow Americans, I can't get no plainer than that.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see it as Rush's remark about wanting Obama to "fail". (I am not predisposed to Limbaugh, I listen to alot of talk radio, of various formats so I can get the whole view of a position)

Should I pray for someone's soul? I think that's a given; but if someone is truly evil, maniacal, whatever, should I pray for their success & well being? That is what I am struggling with.

By doing so it almost feels like I am praying against myself and my fellow Americans, I can't get no plainer than that.

One should never pray for evil to prosper. That is not the command. We pray for them so "we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way" (1 Tim 2:2).

If their efforts are opposed to that, then your prayer is so that they might fail and that they might be saved and actually pursue these things pleasing to God.

Upvote 0

Frenchfrye

spreading the bible
May 17, 2012
✟8,232.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I know how the title sounds, sorry if the very idea offends some of you. I also am aware how easily it is to dismiss such a "stupid" question; but then again I've never once shied from stupid questions, so it stands.

I watched "The untold history of the united states" early this morning, and am utterly appalled at the info I had learned, so now you have an inkling as to the catalyst for said question, but then my mind raced to the question: Would a German Christian, in good conscience feel comfortable praying for Hitler in '39?

It's not like there isn't precedent from the bible, God himself swears by his own name (iirc) that he will not allow Israel to enter the promised land (the generation delivered from Egypt) and that to pray about it or bring it up again would be POINTLESS.

So maybe, the better question is, is it now pointless as an American christian, to pray for this country?

I dunno, i'll freely admit I'm having doubts, but let me add this is not a persuasion thread on why you shouldn't pray for America, but a genuine introspection (for me) as to how can I pray for my country morally when in fact it has become so AMORAL. And obviously, to get some feedback for this line of thought and rather or not i am even wrong in thinking this as I do.

FWIW yes I know what the bible says about praying for our leaders, and we have always had corrupt leaders, but does anyone feel that there is a tipping point where God says "Enough, don't waste my time any more with these kind of prayers", or have we already arrived?

Anxiously awaiting to read some of these replies.

God bless.

I feel the biggest difference from Israel and the US is that God personally gave them that punishment and no praying would make him remove it, but the US has just fallen from being a Christian nation and there isn't a promise from God sent from prophets to hurt the nation so praying that the right leaders are elected and this nation gets back on track is similar to praying for a neighbor who is struggling with a belief in God

Upvote 0

Zugzwang

Feb 28, 2006
✟17,837.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One should never pray for evil to prosper. That is not the command. We pray for them so "we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way" (1 Tim 2:2).

If their efforts are opposed to that, then your prayer is so that they might fail and that they might be saved and actually pursue these things pleasing to God.
I never saw that verse in that light before, but looking at it now with what you said, I can see how you got that.

Thanks alot, that actually helps quite a bit.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0