should a christian undertake martial arts??

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
After running? After exhausting all possible tactics. I am not a great martial artist but I can fight. Anyway my dad taught me something, it's better to run than get in a fist fight with a crackhead holding a syringe or screwdriver.

So, it'd be sort of a last resort. In that case, isn't it better to carry a knife?

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, it'd be sort of a last resort. In that case, isn't it better to carry a knife?

Eh it depends on the laws of where you live. I mean in any case I won't say that I exactly follow those laws... I carried a can of oven cleaner to protect me, some guy tried to erm...anyway. If you don't want to get busted you have to try and find out the laws :)

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This leads us to the following question: if you were a good martial artist, under what circumstances would you use your fighting skills? I am talking about concrete examples.
They used them years ago to beat someone up and show them who´s the boss, I know someone who uses it when someone tries to hit him. You just can´t, it´s an automatic response. But he said you can´t use it these days to beat someone up, now they´ve got knifes. And he doesn´t do it, because now he´s a christian, but he would if someone tried to beat up his wife or kids.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
A 45-50 would be terrible. You need a lawyer for every bullet that comes out of that gun. If it goes through that person and hits another...

So? A lawyer is attached to every swing or jab of a fist or foot or knife too.

The fears of over-penetration are greatly overblown.

And on that score a 45 or .50 caliber weapon would actually be better. The lower-caliber rounds like .38 Super and 9mm actually penetrate more, given the same energy levels.

Upvote 0

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah it does become this instinctual response. That's how it was with my dad.

So? A lawyer is attached to every swing or jab of a fist or foot or knife too.

The fears of over-penetration are greatly overblown.

And on that score a 45 or .50 caliber weapon would actually be better. The lower-caliber rounds like .38 Super and 9mm actually penetrate more, given the same energy levels.

Oh good lord don't be silly. Yes there are laws but I am not sure a self defense hit is the same as a gun which is a felony derp. :p

As for the other, maybe, but ask yourself this. Why are there so many people here so quick to want to use a gun instead of fists or better yet words and quick feet to end a fight?

Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Eh it depends on the laws of where you live. I mean in any case I won't say that I exactly follow those laws... I carried a can of oven cleaner to protect me, some guy tried to erm...anyway. If you don't want to get busted you have to try and find out the laws :)

You should get yourself a pepper spray. Pepper sprays are harmless, whereas an oven cleaner is not. I mean, it could blind the guy permanently.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Oh good lord don't be silly. Yes there are laws but I am not sure a self defense hit is the same as a gun which is a felony derp.

Yeah, true, and it's also harder to just shut up and leave the area after having to shoot someone too.

You are far less likely to accidentally hit someone with your fist than a bullet. I won't even begin to debate that because it is just silly and you should have realized that before posting it.
I did, I never meant to imply that.

As for the other, maybe, but ask yourself this. Why are there so many people here so quick to want to use a gun instead of fists or better yet words and quick feet to end a fight?

Actually, people are far more casual with "less" lethal violence like knives and fists, as some posts here have demonstrated.

It depends on what kind of fight we're talking about here too. To legally use a gun you have to face a threat of lethal or very severe injury, which isn't the case in all fights.

I agree with you that avoidance is best, guns to me are a last resort. I am not a "tough guy" or interested in posing as one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Crypto

Apr 4, 2013
✟1,032.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
They used them years ago to beat someone up and show them who´s the boss, I know someone who uses it when someone tries to hit him. You just can´t, it´s an automatic response. But he said you can´t use it these days to beat someone up, now they´ve got knifes. And he doesn´t do it, because now he´s a christian, but he would if someone tried to beat up his wife or kids.

Yes, I believe is not sensible to to use martial arts against a stranger (i.e., a bum) because your opponent could have a knife or even a gun. It is very unlikely to be involved in a street brawl, in my opinion. Unless you try to be, of course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saleena

A whole new rage.
Aug 12, 2013
✟6,121.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, true, and it's also harder to just shut up and leave the area after having to shoot someone too.

I did, I never meant to imply that.

Actually, people are far more casual with "less" lethal violence like knives and fists, as some posts here have demonstrated.

It depends on what kind of fight we're talking about here too. To legally use a gun you have to face a threat of lethal or very severe injury, which isn't the case in all fights.

I agree with you that avoidance is best, guns to me are a last resort. I am not a "tough guy" or interested in posing as one.

*hugs* Fair enough :)

Upvote 0

nick garai

Feb 21, 2013
Surrey, British Columbia
✟10,173.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
My previous martial arts instructor is a Christian and taught Christian verses incorporated with the martial arts techniques. In order to pass from one belt to the next you had to memorize scripture as part of the class. It worked out pretty well.

Reactions: Messy
Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
its occult right? so it is bad i am told.

then there's the part about not turning the other cheek, but christians join the militaty and learn how to kill ppl, thats okay right?

should we be getting involved in martial arts? getting in shape is another goal but is it good idea?

Martial arts - in their most preserved and original form - are a form of occultism. It is not necessarily the "occult" we think of associated with warlocks, witches and magi. It is literally an art in which philosophical and spiritual "enlightenment" is hidden, and is uncovered through painstaking physical practices. For this reason, "true" martial arts is dualistic: there is a philosophical/spiritual aspect, and a supplemental physical aspect. The physical aspect is not the main and important part of martial arts: the spiritual/philosophical aspect is most important. Understanding one's self, one's surrounding, and one's purpose [in life] is the main objective of martial arts.

If you are Christian, and you want to study martial arts for physical enrichment, defensive/offensive enrichment, or for other physical health reasons, the better option is to go to a studio/dojo whose instructor focuses [solely] on "kata," or physical moves and technique. Generally, "Western" martial arts tends to lack the spiritual and philosophical teachings that are originally attached to the art. But, there are some instructors/masters in the West that have kept and preserved the teachings of an art, and apply it to student teaching. This may not be the best option for a Christian.

I was fortunate enough to take martial arts in school instead of P.E., then (believe it or not) God taught me the rest. I am technically a mixed martial artist - as in, I practice Shotokan, Japanese Jujitsu, Ninjutsu, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, and Boxing. If you believe God can teach you martial arts, then I would say let Him train you. He seriously did with me - to the point where I can spar with 2nd-dan and 3rd-dan and "win." Most of my sparring partners assume I am past kyu, and I am a dan-ranked martial artist. Technically, however, I am not past kyu. But, God trained me, taught me technique, supplemental stretching and conditioning, and complimented training with scripture. For me, it was one of the times I was closest to Him in my life.

Conclusion: if you are Christian, and want to learn martial arts for physical benefits, try to find a dojo/studio that does not focus on philosophy/spirituality. If you want to learn martial arts in compliance with Christian spirituality, pray to God and ask Him to train you the right way (that may mean that you will need to learn some basics - as I did in taking Martial arts in school. It could mean He will teach you from scratch.) And, believe He will do this for you, because He has done it for people before. Remember Psalm 18:30-35:

As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?

It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.

He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.

He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.

Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.

Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.

I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed.

I have wounded them that they were not able to rise: they are fallen under my feet.

For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.

Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that I might destroy them that hate me.

If God did all of this for David, He can most certainly teach you martial arts.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Generally, "Western" martial arts tends to lack the spiritual and philosophical teachings that are originally attached to the art.

There are also actual Western martial arts, although aside from Krav Maga and considering something like IDPA a "martial art", they might not be as much help if you are looking for an open handed or street practical art.

But if you're looking more for a hobby or exercise and/or want to use an archaic weapon, there are martial arts traditions from outside the far east.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There are also actual Western martial arts, although aside from Krav Maga and considering something like IDPA a "martial art", they might not be as much help if you are looking for an open handed or street practical art.

But if you're looking more for a hobby or exercise and/or want to use an archaic weapon, there are martial arts traditions from outside the far east.

Well, Krav Maga is Israeli military martial arts (I think you know this.) I say that to rhetoricaly ask whether or not Israel would be considered "Western."

There are Western martial arts, but a large portion of them are from some Asian, African, and/or Indian martial art that has either died, or has been adopted (or both.) Variations in these "Eastern and African" martial arts tend to qualify a martial art as "Western."

I still think one should be very careful in choosing a dojo and instructor. Yoga, for example, has become a hobby for the Western world, but it is an important and serious physical supplement to spiritual meditation in Hinduism. It can be dangerous to practice something under the guise that it is a hobby, when its inception and core may be something that a participant may find unsavory.

American and European history never depended on martial arts like other cultures did - whose culture is ancient. Most all of the West relied on swords, fire power, and shield. Could you imagine doing a kata in full metal armor, carrying a 40lbs double-edged sword? Granted, most Western nations have their own form of self-defensive hand-to-hand combat.

Upvote 0

Zach91

Dec 31, 2011
New Bordeaux
✟16,279.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I've been doing martial arts for over 5 years. There is nothing wrong with studying martial arts as long as you are sure to attend a school that does not incorporate eastern mysticism, such as chi or meditation. As for it being violent, that is the point! There is absolutely nothing immoral about using violence in a case of legitimate self defense, or the defense of an innocent party. You want to attend a dojo that teaches both striking and grappling, so as to be prepared for any situation. I am almost a blackbelt and have enjoyed my journey. Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
so guns are ok but studying a physical discipline isnt?

gotcha.

Personally, I think both guns and martial arts are O.K. However, unlike with guns, "people [really] do harm other people with martial arts" since the weapons are attached to the person.

In both situations, I would choose to do the honorable thing, and just use my body as a weapon - because it is a bit less lethal than a gun. The sad part is cowardly punks tend to pull a gun on you when they are getting beat up in a fight they started, or if the sight of a skill martial artist scares them. It happens all the time. I think guns are necessary for extreme defense - burglary, armed robbery, multi-person attacks with weapons, hostages and shootings, etc. After all, the police can only do so much if a threat is imminent, and they usually "protect and serve" after the event is over, consequently.

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
USA
✟7,701.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea why it would be suggested that martial arts is bad. It's about learning self-control, discipline and respect for others. The point is to never have to use what you've learned in the first place. There are actually several places that have Christian based martial arts in my area including one church. At the church one they'd have a short period for a bible lesson every class. The other one was less structured the instructor would just give a short talk sometimes about bible based principles like loving and respecting others. The only thing that was consistent was closing with prayer in the end.

If your worried about anything. I'd look for a Christian based martial arts class.

Upvote 0