Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's the scenario. Please consider all the factors before replying. Thanks!

A Christian man and his wife live overseas in poverty. The wife struggles with severe anxiety, but the couple have no insurance and no money to pay for medicine that would help her.

How ethical would it be to do the following: Ship the same pills to them that a healthcare provider has already said would benefit her. However, keep in mind, they have no money to afford the medicine. But the laws of the land state that doing this is illegal.

I can give more details if some of you need more to add to this, but for now I will stop. What do you think?

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm assuming you mean Person A buys the pills and ships them to Person B, who needs them?

Assuming person B has a valid prescription and person B is simply acting as a purchasing agent (no different than me picking up my wife's medicine on my way home rather than her making an extra trip), I'd consider that perfectly reasonable, assuming certain checks are done to make sure that person A is just picking up the medicine validly for person B. Can't see a lot of an issue from a purely ethical examination either.

As for shipping it outside the country, that gets tricky because then you've potentially got TWO sets of laws to navigate.

Upvote 0

Waterwerx

Jul 14, 2016
Hazleton, PA
✟63,759.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single

A Christian man and his wife live overseas in poverty. The wife struggles with severe anxiety, but the couple have no insurance and no money to pay for medicine that would help her.

How ethical would it be to do the following: Ship the same pills to them that a healthcare provider has already said would benefit her. However, keep in mind, they have no money to afford the medicine. But the laws of the land state that doing this is illegal.

I can give more details if some of you need more to add to this, but for now I will stop. What do you think?

What do I think? Here's what I think: This is a stupid question. If money is the issue, why not send them money with which to buy the prescribed drug(s) instead of illegally sending them the drug(s)? Regardless of the intent, US Customs will not make any exception to the rules.
My guess is that this would involve sending a controlled substance, which would be both illegal and stupid. The sender would not only get themselves in trouble, but also the person(s) who receive it as well.

• Winner
Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I disagree with your premise. You shouldn't treat anxiety with medicine unless there is a medical reason. Anxiety is usually the result of a defective lifestyle, I believe.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I would just send money if they can buy in their country. If they are not permitted to purchase the meds, I would probably ship it if I could get ahold of it.
Meds for anxiety?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are other solutions for anxiety. People have dealt with this problem for 1000's of years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Assuming the crux of the question would be breaking the law in this circumstance, the answer would be not doing it (at least from a Christian perspective), as we are told to follow the laws (though you can passively not do them if they require you to do an active sin like killing and passively accept the consequences of your rebellion).

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Meds for anxiety?
Here you will first find a list of all the major medications and the problems they address. Then you will see each of the major problems (panic attacks, generalized anxiety, and so forth), with descriptions of the commonly recommended medications for that difficulty.

(I gratefully acknowledge James Ballenger, MD for his review of this section.)

BENZODIAZEPINES
•alprazolam (Xanax) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety, OCD
•clonazepam (Klonopin) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety
•diazepam (Valium) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias
•lorazepam (Ativan) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias
•oxazepam (Serax) generalized anxiety, phobias
•chlordiazepoxide (Librium) generalized anxiety, phobias

BETA BLOCKERS
•propranolol (Inderal) social anxiety
•atenolol (Tenormin) social anxiety

TRICYCLIC ANTIDEPRESSANTS
•imipramine (Tofranil) panic, depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD
•desipramine (Norpramin, Pertofrane and others) panic, generalized anxiety, depression, PTSD
•nortriptyline (Aventyl or Pamelor) panic, generalized anxiety, depression, PTSD
•amitriptyline (Elavil) panic, generalized anxiety, depression, PTSD
•doxepin (Sinequan or Adapin) panic, depression
•clomipramine (Anafranil) panic, OCD, depression

OTHER ANTIDEPRESSANTS
•trazodone (Desyrel) depression, generalized anxiety

MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS (MAOIs)
•phenelzine (Nardil) panic, OCD, social anxiety, depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD
•tranylcypromine (Parnate) panic, OCD, depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD

SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SSRIs)
•fluoxetine (Prozac) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•fluvoxamine (Luvox) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•sertraline (Zoloft) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•paroxetine (Paxil) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•escitalopram oxalate (Lexapro) OCD, panic,depression, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•citalopram (Celexa) depression, OCD, panic, PTSD, generalized anxiety

SEROTONIN-NOREPINEPHRINE REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SNRIS)
•venlafaxine (Effexor) panic, OCD, depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety
•venlafaxine XR (Effexor XR) panic, OCD, depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety
•duloxetine (Cymbalta) generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic, OCD

MILD TRANQUILIZER
•buspirone (BuSpar) generalized anxiety, OCD, panic

ANTICONVULSANTS
•Valproate (Depakote) panic
•Pregabalin (Lyrica) generalized anxiety disorder
•Gabapentin (Neurontin) generalized anxiety, social anxiety

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Here you will first find a list of all the major medications and the problems they address. Then you will see each of the major problems (panic attacks, generalized anxiety, and so forth), with descriptions of the commonly recommended medications for that difficulty.

(I gratefully acknowledge James Ballenger, MD for his review of this section.)

BENZODIAZEPINES
•alprazolam (Xanax) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety, OCD
•clonazepam (Klonopin) panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety
•diazepam (Valium) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias
•lorazepam (Ativan) generalized anxiety, panic, phobias
•oxazepam (Serax) generalized anxiety, phobias
•chlordiazepoxide (Librium) generalized anxiety, phobias

BETA BLOCKERS
•propranolol (Inderal) social anxiety
•atenolol (Tenormin) social anxiety

TRICYCLIC ANTIDEPRESSANTS
•imipramine (Tofranil) panic, depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD
•desipramine (Norpramin, Pertofrane and others) panic, generalized anxiety, depression, PTSD
•nortriptyline (Aventyl or Pamelor) panic, generalized anxiety, depression, PTSD
•amitriptyline (Elavil) panic, generalized anxiety, depression, PTSD
•doxepin (Sinequan or Adapin) panic, depression
•clomipramine (Anafranil) panic, OCD, depression

OTHER ANTIDEPRESSANTS
•trazodone (Desyrel) depression, generalized anxiety

MONOAMINE OXIDASE INHIBITORS (MAOIs)
•phenelzine (Nardil) panic, OCD, social anxiety, depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD
•tranylcypromine (Parnate) panic, OCD, depression, generalized anxiety, PTSD

SELECTIVE SEROTONIN REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SSRIs)
•fluoxetine (Prozac) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•fluvoxamine (Luvox) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•sertraline (Zoloft) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•paroxetine (Paxil) OCD, depression, panic, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•escitalopram oxalate (Lexapro) OCD, panic,depression, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, PTSD, generalized anxiety
•citalopram (Celexa) depression, OCD, panic, PTSD, generalized anxiety

SEROTONIN-NOREPINEPHRINE REUPTAKE INHIBITORS (SNRIS)
•venlafaxine (Effexor) panic, OCD, depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety
•venlafaxine XR (Effexor XR) panic, OCD, depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety
•duloxetine (Cymbalta) generalized anxiety, social anxiety, panic, OCD

MILD TRANQUILIZER
•buspirone (BuSpar) generalized anxiety, OCD, panic

ANTICONVULSANTS
•Valproate (Depakote) panic
•Pregabalin (Lyrica) generalized anxiety disorder
•Gabapentin (Neurontin) generalized anxiety, social anxiety
Isn't anxiety usually the result of lifestyle choices?

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Oh boy, I'll need to see some good,scientifically based numbers and research on that, because it's really, REALLY not helpful to blame someone who suffers from mental illness for their own condition.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been moved to the Ethics & Morality forum.
Please note and abide by the SOP of this forum.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It can be, but not always. It could be from a hormonal imbalance, or other organic problem.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But is it as cut and dry as some of you may talk of it as? I know we're not there yet, but consider the tribulation period. Then, it will be illegal to sell and buy goods without the mark of the beast. I know we should go by the law of the land, but that's only if it's in keeping with not disobeying God's rules. And hasn't God said to love and give to one another?

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But is it as cut and dry as some of you may talk of it as? I know we're not there yet, but consider the tribulation period. Then, it will be illegal to sell and buy goods without the mark of the beast. I know we should go by the law of the land, but that's only if it's in keeping with not disobeying God's rules. And hasn't God said to love and give to one another?
Did I read that correctly? Did you say that there will come a time when it will be illegal to buy and sell goods without the mark of the beast? What kind of beast are you talking about, a cow, a horse or what?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Oh boy, I'll need to see some good,scientifically based numbers and research on that, because it's really, REALLY not helpful to blame someone who suffers from mental illness for their own condition.
And yet if there is a simple lifestyle change that would cure them, maybe it would be good to let them know.

Upvote 0

majj27

Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And yet if there is a simple lifestyle change that would cure them, maybe it would be good to let them know.

You're assuming quite a bit here.

a) There is a simple lifestyle change that will cure them.
b) They are capable of making that change.
c) That the person advising them is making an informed and effective diagnosis and treatment suggestion.
d) They haven't already tried it and found it to be completely ineffective.

To be honest, going to someone who suffers from anxiety due to a chemical imbalance in the brain or PTSD or the like and telling them they just need to smile more or be more thankful for what they have is almost always going to make them worse off.

Upvote 0