Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Any BBC Sherlock fans out there? We've been watching it recently on Netflix and just finished season one. Really enjoying it! We've been watching the US version Elementary and also enjoying it. I'm finding it interesting to compare the similarities and differences between the two.

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sherlock YES! Great show. You'll love the second season AND the last of the three episodes is a crazy cliff hanger.

As far as Elementary is concerned, neither I nor my husband have any interest in seeing it. I admit it has to do with the fact that changing Watson's gender was a big turn off. I can handle some changes in traditional presentations of Sherlock Holmes but changing the gender of a main character just makes me want to stay away from it.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I understand how that would turn people off the show. I was never big into the novels, so the changes are not a big deal to me. I do really like Lucy Liu as Watson. It's a great role for her. There's zero romantic interest between them, so it works out nicely. I understand the Sherlock series took some license in areas as well, but not as much as Elementary. Overall I have to say I have enjoyed Sherlock more and am very much looking forward to the new season (whenever that starts! lol).

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sherlock took a lot of liberties since it was updated to modern times with modern technology. I do like the Watson character in this. I like the actor so I was fine with it. My husband is a HUGE Sherlock fan. Gets anything and everything he can find, various versions of it in the movies or TV series (ie. Jeremy Brit's version, etc.) I like many of the versions, even the Robert Downey movies. But neither of us will be watching Elementary any time soon. Maybe sometime down the road.

Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I watch Elementary.

When I first heard about it, I was instantly turned off to the idea of a female Watson (especially played by Lucy Liu) but decided to give it a go because Johnny Lee Miller was starring in it and he's one of my favourite actors. I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome and it's become one of my favourite shows on the telly. They have good chemistry together and Miller does an amazing job playing Holmes. The story was a little off-putting at first but it simply works and I do like the modern twist on it.

It's certainly not like the Sherlock Holmes books, but more of a crime drama.

Upvote 0

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I found going back to Elementary after watching 3 Series of Sherlock a bit of a let down, though Elementary is peaking my interest once again. I do wonder what connections were made in The Hobbit, The Desolation of Smaug behind the scenes, since Sherlock's Watson and Holmes, kind of square off as Bilbo and Smaug in the movie.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I found going back to Elementary after watching 3 Series of Sherlock a bit of a let down, though Elementary is peaking my interest once again. I do wonder what connections were made in The Hobbit, The Desolation of Smaug behind the scenes, since Sherlock's Watson and Holmes, kind of square off as Bilbo and Smaug in the movie.

Yes, I'd have to agree that if I'd started with Sherlock, Elementary would have been a bit of a let down, as Sherlock does have the superior writing. The actors in both are excellent though, IMO. And each has its own interpretation which can be hard to compare at times.

This is a minor thing, but what constantly annoys me about Elementary is Lucy Liu's wardrobe. So nasty and unflattering. I get that they want to downplay her physical appeal so there's no perceived chemistry with Sherlock (which is vital, IMO). But they should be able to be conservative without making her look so frumpy. The Sherlock character should be making snide remarks about her clothing choices, to be consistent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CelticGrace

Legend
Sep 1, 2004
Mesquite, Texas
✟38,987.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am a huge fan of the original novels and short stories and the old movies, etc. with Jeremy Brett, have been since I was a kid. And I do love the Robert Downey Jr movies as well.

I've been a fan of Sherlock since the first second of the first episode.

It took me a bit to get into Elementary but I was watching it consistently for awhile and then stopped near the end of last season for some reason. Haven't really picked it up again.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't care for the female watson thing in Elementary. But I've grown to like the show. However I haven't really watched the current season because its getting dull. I haven't watched SHerlok yet but everyones telling me its great. I need to really see it now!

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Any BBC Sherlock fans out there? We've been watching it recently on Netflix and just finished season one. Really enjoying it! We've been watching the US version Elementary and also enjoying it. I'm finding it interesting to compare the similarities and differences between the two.

I just got the first two seasons on DVD. I LOVE this show! I had never thought of Sherlock Holmes as having Asperger's, but it's so obvious to me now. LOL.

I have read every single one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, and I am delighted by this version of his hero.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟903,275.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I haven't seen Sherlock, so my perspective is skewed, I know. I watch Elementary. I like that it's different. I like the Watson is female. I even like her clothes, which makes me frumpy I guess. They look comfortable while still have a sense of style (meaning they're not yoga pants), and proves she comfortable in own skin in that she doesn't dress to impress anyone other than herself. I like the development and deepening of a relationship between male and female lead investigator characters that is meaningful but not sexual.

I have never been all that invested in the Sherlock franchise, in any case. I like Elementary because I like the premise and development of the show, not that it's Sherlock.

Had to stand up for the underdog!

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My daughter and I really love Sherlock. I know for us, the two actors playing Sherlock and Watson are a huge reason for our love of the show. This evening, Elementary was on one of the channels here, but I had no interest in watching it.

Upvote 0

heirmiles

Rookie
Apr 14, 2012
East coast of Vancouver Island on the West Coast o
✟12,498.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anyone else notice that with Elementary, Sherlock speaks so softly that you can barely hear him sometimes? Or am I just getting old?

It's just that living in a condo (with neighbor's only a wall away) if I turn the volume up to hear Sherlock and somebody else says something I'm scrambling with the remote to turn it back down before my neighbors get disturbed.

Upvote 0