Sheriff's deputy got probation for raping teen girl now gets 14 years

Phokus

Feb 20, 2004
✟8,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Tthe state of Missouri originally gave this deputy probation. The DOJ civil rights division tried the case and got a 14 year sentence with no possibility of probation. An FYI, the civil rights division is hated by conservatives and was severely weakened during Bush's term. Thank god for Obama.

Former Jackson County Deputy Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Civil Rights Violation

Sexually Abused Teen Girl While She Was Detained

WASHINGTON– A former Jackson County, Mo., sheriff’s deputy was sentenced in federal court today for violating the civil rights of a teenage girl whom he sexually assaulted in his patrol car, the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Missouri announced today.

Steven W. Burgess, 35, of Independence, Mo., was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Ortrie D. Smith this morning to 14 years in federal prison without parole.

On Nov. 12, 2009, Burgess pleaded guilty to depriving a 15-year-old girl of her Constitutional rights by sexually assaulting her while she was in his custody. Burgess was on-duty and in uniform when he encountered the victim and some friends in Haynes Park in Sibley, Mo., at approximately 2 a.m. on July 24, 2007. Burgess told the victim’s friends to leave the park, but ordered her to stay at the park with him.

Burgess then put the victim in handcuffs and, while patting her down, inappropriately touched her in a sexual manner. Burgess removed the handcuffs and told her to get into the car, keeping the door open and her feet touching the ground outside the car. Burgess stood in front of her and compelled her to perform oral sex on him while she sat in his patrol vehicle. At one point, Burgess made her get on her knees to perform oral sex on him.

Afterward, Burgess took the victim to her aunt’s house. He told her that she could not tell anyone about the forced oral sex, or he would disclose that she had been caught in the park drinking. Once inside the house, she told her family what had happened and was immediately taken to Children’s Mercy Hospital.

Burgess violated the victim’s right not to be deprived of liberty without due process of law, which includes the right to bodily integrity. Burgess used force against his victim and placed her in fear of death, serious bodily injury and kidnapping.

“A law enforcement officer who abuses his authority by sexually assaulting a child not only violates the law, but also the child’s civil rights and the public trust,” Assistant Attorney General Thomas E. Perez for the Civil Rights Division said. “Today’s sentence should remind any law enforcement officer inclined to violate the most basic Constitutional rights of our citizens that we will aggressively prosecute.”

“No one is above the law,” U.S. Attorney Beth Phillips said. “When a uniformed law enforcement officer violates the civil rights of a vulnerable victim, especially in such a repugnant manner, he must be held to the highest standard of justice. Today’s lengthy prison sentence holds this defendant accountable for violating the public trust and abusing his position of authority to victimize a young girl. We are sending a strong message to our community that civil rights violations won’t be tolerated.”

This case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney K. Michael Warner and Trial Attorney Eric L. Gibson with the Criminal Section of the Civil Rights Division. It was investigated by the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

And why did he get probation?

PoliceCrimes.com Forum ~ :: View topic - Judge Schieber Allows Deputy Steven Burgess To Walk Free

Deputy Steven Burgess Will Get No Prison Time in Teen’s Sex Abuse Case

Steven Burgess was on duty as a Jackson County sheriff’s deputy last July when he found a group of teens partying after hours in a park near Fort Osage.

He rousted the bunch, except for a 15-year-old girl. After the others had gone, the deputy put the girl in the passenger seat of his patrol car and, according to court documents, had her perform a sex act on him.

On Friday, Burgess, 33, now a former deputy, walked into a Jackson County courtroom facing up to 14 years in prison. He walked out a free man.

Circuit Judge Robert M. Schieber gave him the full 14 years, but then suspended the sentence and placed Burgess on five years of probation.

“We are very disappointed,” Jackson County Prosecutor Jim Kanatzar said. “We thought incarceration was the appropriate sentence.”

The prosecutor’s office asked for seven years each for the charges of statutory sodomy and deviate sexual assault to which Burgess had pleaded guilty in December.

Even Burgess’ attorney, John P. O’Connor, thought he could see some prison time. O’Connor knows that Schieber’s decision probably surprised some people, but he thinks justice was served.

O’Connor pointed out the defendant’s military service, previously unblemished record as a law enforcement officer, marriage with three children and good psychological assessment.

Also, O’Connor said, putting a former police officer such as Burgess in prison is dangerous.

“It would be like a death sentence,” O’Connor said.

And it’s not like Burgess got off easy, O’Connor said. He lost his job, must register as a sex offender and may have to move because his house is near a school.

Palle Rilinger, executive director of the Metropolitan Organization to Counter Sexual Assault, declined to criticize the sentencing but said that when adolescents are abused by authority figures, “the offense is even more magnified.”

Ridiculous.

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know that Federal prosecution of civil rights violations give victims a second chance at justice, BUT isn't that just a form of double jeopardy which would make it unconstitutional? As much good as these prosecutions have done, I think the conservatives have a point.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And why did he get probation?

PoliceCrimes.com Forum ~ :: View topic - Judge Schieber Allows Deputy Steven Burgess To Walk Free

Circuit Judge Robert M. Schieber gave him the full 14 years, but then suspended the sentence and placed Burgess on five years of probation.

“We are very disappointed,” Jackson County Prosecutor Jim Kanatzar said. “We thought incarceration was the appropriate sentence.”

The prosecutor’s office asked for seven years each for the charges of statutory sodomy and deviate sexual assault to which Burgess had pleaded guilty in December.

Even Burgess’ attorney, John P. O’Connor, thought he could see some prison time. O’Connor knows that Schieber’s decision probably surprised some people, but he thinks justice was served.

O’Connor pointed out the defendant’s military service, previously unblemished record as a law enforcement officer, marriage with three children and good psychological assessment.

And it’s not like Burgess got off easy, O’Connor said. He lost his job, must register as a sex offender and may have to move because his house is near a school.
Ridiculous.
See, this is why some state legislatures mandate non-discretionary sentencing laws - which lead to the equally ridiculous sentences like the woman who got a life sentence for making a boy touch her breast.

Upvote 0

Phokus

Feb 20, 2004
✟8,137.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I know that Federal prosecution of civil rights violations give victims a second chance at justice, BUT isn't that just a form of double jeopardy which would make it unconstitutional? As much good as these prosecutions have done, I think the conservatives have a point.

He was found guilty in the 1st trial. And they got him for a different offense in the 2nd trial.

I looked it up and there are several exceptions to double jeapordy:

Double jeopardy is also not implicated for separate offenses or in separate jurisdictions arising from the same act. For example, in United States v. Felix 503 U.S. 378 (1992), the Supreme Court ruled: 'a[n]...offense and a conspiracy to commit that offense are not the same offense for double jeopardy purposes.'[25][26]

As another example, a state might try a defendant for murder, after which the federal government might try the same defendant for a federal crime (perhaps a civil rights violation or kidnapping) related to the same act. For example, the Los Angeles Police Department officers charged with assaulting Rodney King in 1991 were acquitted by a Superior Court jury, but some were later convicted and sentenced in federal court for violating his civil rights. Similar techniques were used for prosecuting racially-motivated crimes in the Southern United States in the 1960s during the time of the Civil Rights Movement, when those crimes had not been actively prosecuted, or had resulted in acquittals by juries thought to be racist or sympathetic to the accused in local courts.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He was found guilty in the 1st trial. And they got him for a different offense in the 2nd trial.
Yeah, right.

I looked it up and there are several exceptions to double jeapordy:
But it really is for the same offense, the same act, just different charges. I know the courts have ruled this way (famously Medgar Evars murderer), but, as much as I might rejoice in the outcome, I'm not convinced that it is correct.

Upvote 0

GodGunsAndGlory

Jan 4, 2008
✟16,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I really unignored you for this?

Seriously, do I have to start showing you all the democrat judges giving child rapists less then five years or even probation that is the same as this topic.

Why do you insist on trying to find something to attack republicans like this, seriously, it wasn't conservatives who voted against child rape being able to be punished by death penalty, it was the leftists.

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
What would be wrong with Circuit Judge Robert M. Schieber (the original judge) and Steven Burgess serving time in the same cell together - they deserve each other!

The one item that doesn't "ring true" is Burgess' "good psychological assessment" - you have to question the mentality of anyone, particularily a police officer, who demonstrates so little self-control as to conduct himself in this manner in broad daylight with a "minor!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jackinbox78

Sep 28, 2008
✟8,107.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
See, this is why some state legislatures mandate non-discretionary sentencing laws - which lead to the equally ridiculous sentences like the woman who got a life sentence for making a boy touch her breast.

You got a point there. On the other end it's kind of sad if mandatory sentences are necessary to compensate for judges incompetence. I would hope a better solution exists.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟214,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Seriously, do I have to start showing you all the democrat judges giving child rapists less then five years or even probation that is the same as this topic.

Why do you insist on trying to find something to attack republicans like this, seriously, it wasn't conservatives who voted against child rape being able to be punished by death penalty, it was the leftists.
The judge was Republican? Who in this thread even mentioned Republicans before you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

None of this has anything to do with what you just posted.

This is not a partisan issue. This is a state clearly dropping the ball on policing its own, and the Feds having to step in and do the job for them. I don't care if the original judge who let the cop off with probation is Democrat or Republican. He failed to do his duty to protect the people. End of story.

How about we have accountability rather than excuses and partisan finger-pointing?

Upvote 0

GodGunsAndGlory

Jan 4, 2008
✟16,884.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The judge was Republican? Who in this thread even mentioned Republicans before you?

An FYI, the civil rights division is hated by conservatives and was severely weakened during Bush's term.

Read.

Upvote 0