Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
hannah is tough. she fights sleep all day unless i carry her in the sling. i do that for hours but the second i put her down she wakes right up..like now she was asleep in the sling for about 40 minutes and i gently lay her down in bed and she wakes right up..... i cant get anything done.... argh!

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Have you tried a baby swing? I've had that work when nothing else would.
Also, there's something called a "mamma bear" or something that makes the sound of a heartbeat that helped my children.
Could you lay her in her carseat on top of the dryer? Sometimes the "white noise" and motion helps.
Have you tried letting her cry herself asleep after you've laid her down? She may be sleepy enough that she could do this before she got sick from crying too much.

BTW, how old is your daughter? Has this happened from birth? Do you cosleep?

Rachel

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, I understand. My son was awlful like that. I never did figure out the best way to get him to nap until I gave in at 5 months (I think) and let him cry himself to sleep. I felt horrible because it took him sooo long to fall asleep but once he fell asleep he slept for hours. There are still days at 17mos where I wander around my yard with him in the sling till he falls asleep because he got himself so worked up with crying that he scares me.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

My oldest was exactly like that--and actually so was my second oldest...and then the third oldest had out and out colic- but at least her super fuss times were confined to her non-stop crying from 7-10 each night :) (Colic was actually an improvment for us LOL!)

I don't have any advice-- I am sorry it is so hard :hug: The best thing that worked for me was learning to surrender, and to realise that a year of my life of getting nearly nothing done housework-wise...was really a very small portion of my life. I found when I stopped looking for the magic answer that would just fix my child...everything was just a little bit easier (not easy, mind you-- but it did get easier).

It does eventually get better, they do eventually learn to sleep better, and most often they turn out to be extraordinary children- because they are sensitive and passionate. :hug:

Upvote 0

CrystalBrooke

I'm almost positive I don't care what you think
Jun 16, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟19,777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
just out of curiosity was Trevor like that? I've always heard that you'll have one good one and one that will drive you crazy lol^_^ anyways, yeah try a swing or a boucy chair maybe..Emily fought sleep for about a month starting at 2 months and I would either put her in her swing or bounce her in her chair and when she feel asleep I wouldn't have to move her so she slept as long as she needed to.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trevor was an angel. he never cried. She is good but just isnt satisified during the day unless she is held. We do cosleep at night (for now) I am starting to hate it, but its ok for now..... so i carry her in the sling for hours each day... it is getting old..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Kate used to fight sleep all day from birth, at about 5 months I decided on a new approach. I wanted to get her used to needed and expecting sleep in the day.

I took the timings recommended in many baby books as to when she 'should' need a sleep (I think after about 2 hours at that age) took her into a darkened room, swaddled her, put a dummy in her mouth and rocked her until she fell asleep. I woul dhold her for 20 mins to get past the 'jerk' babies have at 20 mins, then lay her in her cot.

Took about 40 mins the first few times, thn gradually it got so that she would shut her eyes as soon as I sat down with her and she would be asleep by 5 mins.

Once she was used to and expected naps I weaned her off the dummy and rocking. Now she just puts her thumbin her mouth and goes to sleep by herself.

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hannah is tough. she fights sleep all day unless i carry her in the sling. i do that for hours but the second i put her down she wakes right up..like now she was asleep in the sling for about 40 minutes and i gently lay her down in bed and she wakes right up..... i cant get anything done.... argh!

But you are getting something done!!! You are helping your daughter feel safe and secure and very loved. That is not a minor thing! At her age, it is some of the most important work you could possibloy do.

I suggest that you lay down on the bed beside her and take a nap or read a book...

Children need physical contact - just as much as they need food. The hosuework will keep, you daughter will not. Children are secure and able to step out into the world when their needs have been met when they are young. And what a delightful way to meet a need - snuggling with a baby!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2004
Visit site
✟25,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But you are getting something done!!! You are helping your daughter feel safe and secure and very loved. That is not a minor thing! At her age, it is some of the most important work you could possibloy do.

I suggest that you lay down on the bed beside her and take a nap or read a book...

Children need physical contact - just as much as they need food. The hosuework will keep, you daughter will not. Children are secure and able to step out into the world when their needs have been met when they are young. And what a delightful way to meet a need - snuggling with a baby!
your right. she will be out of this stage before i know it and then i will be missing it so i just need to cherish it now no matter how exhausting it is. I have been carrying her in the sling the good portion of everyday for the last week. It is tough sometimes but she loves it and she looks so safe and happy....so thats what i will do.

Upvote 0

crowder621

Oct 8, 2006
Floresville
✟15,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She is used to being in the sling and being carried just let her cry for a little bit, it will not hurt her and in the end she'll get better. If the crying goes on to long just check on her and let her know your near, but don't give in and pick her back up or you may be carrying her forever. I have a daughter that wouldn't go to sleep unless we were in the car, but I got where I just wasn't going to take her riding every night and just put her to bed one night and let her cry herself to sleep and trust me I wanted to give in, but I didn't and after three nights of crying herself to sleep, she would go to sleep without any problems.Oh and nothing happened because she cryed herself to sleep, for a fact she is 33 today, married and has three children of her own and is going through the same thing with her 3 year olds daughter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jazzbird

Senior Veteran
Mar 11, 2004
Wisconsin
✟19,741.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just wanted to encourage you to keep doing what you're doing. Some little babes just need more security and closeness than others. She's still so young.

As I type one-handed, I'm holding Jonas while he sleeps. As he's gotten older, I've been able to put him down for naps more often, but somedays, like today, he just can't sleep soundly without me, and I think that's okay (even though it can be really frustrating when you just want to get some work done). :)

Upvote 0

newcreature

In Christ we find troubled waters calm!
Feb 11, 2005
✟2,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My oldest son cried a lot, and was an irritable baby. He was always wanting to be held, and against popular thought in our society, I held him anyway. My ex husband had me put him down one night because he thought I was spoiling him, and wouldn't let me go get him after 4 hours of constant crying. He was 7 weeks old, and I can just imagine how insecure he must have felt alone in there. BTW, you will not spoil you child by holding them too much.

He is seven now, and surprisingly, I am not still carrying him.:) In fact, he is at the stage where he doesn't want me to show too much affection in public. At home, he loves a good snuggle.

Another good thing to remember is that a peaceful momma also helps a child feel secure. You do what you think will work out best for you and your baby. Time flies by so quickly, enjoy the moment!

Reactions: HeKnowsMyName
Upvote 0

AutumnDreamer

Jan 6, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟17,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If she was asleep for 40 minutes it really isn't a big surprise that she woke up. Babies need security, if you think about the small amount of time that she will be this age, you will realize that her security is so much more important then a clean house. But if you have her in the sling there should be no reason why you can't get stuff done.

Upvote 0

charligirl

Senior Veteran
Aug 26, 2003
London
✟17,471.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Another thought just occurred as I re-read your original post. Babies have sleep cycles which are typically 40-45 mins long. THey take 10-20 mins to get into deep sleep and then sleep another 20-25 mins before coming back into lighter sleep - so if you put baby down at 40 mins that is at light sleep stage, try after 30 mins instead.

Upvote 0