Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Angela Haislip begged the power company not to cut off service to her elderly mother and stepfather, both stroke victims who depend on oxygen machines and nebulizers to breathe.

In more than 20 years, her parents had “never, ever, ever missed a payment” to the Halifax Electric Membership Corporation, the power co-operative that serves rural Warren County, North Carolina, she said. Haislip’s 70-year-old mother had actually overpaid last year by so much, she built up enough credit that she hadn’t had to pay for the first two months of 2020.
She Begged For Mercy. The Utility Cut Her Elderly Parents’ Power Anyway.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Angela Haislip begged the power company not to cut off service to her elderly mother and stepfather, both stroke victims who depend on oxygen machines and nebulizers to breathe.

In more than 20 years, her parents had “never, ever, ever missed a payment” to the Halifax Electric Membership Corporation, the power co-operative that serves rural Warren County, North Carolina, she said. Haislip’s 70-year-old mother had actually overpaid last year by so much, she built up enough credit that she hadn’t had to pay for the first two months of 2020.
She Begged For Mercy. The Utility Cut Her Elderly Parents’ Power Anyway.
I have a good friend who often uses the phrase "corporate America" when we see a news item like the above, to indicate that much/most of Corporate America only cares about one thing, making money....

Some Governors have issued orders for utilities not to cut off service during the crisis, including mine, but NC's Governor may not be one of them?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I have a good friend who often uses the phrase "corporate America" when we see a news item like the above, to indicate that much/most of Corporate America only cares about one thing, making money....

Some Governors have issued orders for utilities not to cut off service during the crisis, including mine, but NC's Governor may not be one of them?

Rather unfair as this was a co-op not a corporation or business of any kind.

Oops!

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sad news for the parents and daughter

And this:

Her parents’ nurse, covered by Medicaid, stopped coming out of concern that she wouldn’t be able to wash her hands if the trailer lacked electricity to run water pumps, which would put her at greater risk of exposure to COVID-19.

“There’s no way for them to stay clean, so she’s taken off until the electricity’s resolved,” Haislip said. “I don’t blame her. I can see why she wouldn’t want to put herself at risk.”

That left Haislip as her parents’ only lifeline to food, water, electricity and medical care, making it impossible to maintain the social distance doctors recommend to lower the chances of infecting elderly relatives, who are most at risk from the disease’s deadliest effects.​

He has just been released with a stroke to this home, so I get her calling on the parents behalf - their energy levels must be nearly shot right now.

Upvote 0