Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"Sacred Scripture is an Encyclopædia of all the sciences. Here is Natural Philosophy, because all the causes of all creatures are in God, the Creator. Here is Moral Philosophy, because a good and honest life is derived from no other source than the love of God and our neighbour as they ought to be loved. Here is Logic, because Truth and the Light of the rational soul are God. Here is Political Science, for a really flourishing State can neither be founded nor preserved except upon the foundation, and by the bond of faith, and firm concord, when the common good of all is loved: that is to say, when God is loved above all things, and when men love one another in Him, and for His sake."

— St. Augustine

[Note: natural philosophy here includes all of what people now simply call "science."]

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"You are proof that my theories have all been wrong...I am a scientist. When I find evidence that my theories are wrong, it's as exciting as if they were correct."

Nyan, Stargate SG-1

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Two favorites of mine:

The man who invented the telescope found out more about heaven than the closed eyes of prayer ever discovered.

—Robert G. Ingersoll

On ne doit rien craindre dans la vie—il suffit de comprendre.

Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.

—Marie Curie

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together. --Isaac Asimov

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Not sure I agree. Science seems quite potent and capable without religion.

Also, Einsteins view of proper religion doesnt allow for many of the factual claims that traditional views of religion depend on. He says:

"For science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be, and outside of its domain value judgments of all kinds remain necessary. Religion, on the other hand, deals only with evaluations of human thought and action: it cannot justifiably speak of facts and relationships between facts."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist

Also, Einstein view of proper religion doesnt allow for many of the factual claims that traditional views of religion depend on. He says:

"For science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be, and outside of its domain value judgments of all kinds remain necessary. Religion, on the other hand, deals only with evaluations of human thought and action: it cannot justifiably speak of facts and relationships between facts."
Given the scathing comments Einstein made elsewhere about theistic religions and the afterlife, I suspect that by 'religion' he meant our moral and spiritual inclinations.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Also, Einsteins view of proper religion doesnt allow for many of the factual claims that traditional views of religion depend on. He says:

56Kg3XV.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes.....and?

If you can read it carefully.

It explains how cutting edge and innovative, christian morality and humanitarian efforts to help the poor, are from a historical perspective.

Vast contributions made to the world by christian morality usually go unacknowledged.

Luckily for us, Einstein recognizes said contributions and knows science would be lame without them.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

That quote is taken out of context. In that sentence he does not mean "religion" as it is used by most people. If one read the entire essay that it came from it would be clear that he was talking more about a sense of purpose and right and wrong when he said "religion" rather than a belief in any god, which he thought was extremely unreasonable. Here is a link to the second page of the essay where the quote can be found:

Science and Religion

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

It explains how cutting edge and innovative, christian morality and humanitarian efforts to help the poor, are from a historical perspective.

Vast contributions made to the world by christian morality usually go unacknowledged.

Luckily for us, Einstein recognizes said contributions and knows science would be lame without them.

But that's not science though. That's got nothing to do with science.

Also, I think you need to really explain what you mean by science quotes: do you means about science from anyone, or quotes from science, thus from scientists?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 8, 2012
✟14,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,904.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Evolution is not a theory in crisis. It is not teetering on the verge of collapse. It has not failed as a scientific explanation. There is evidence for evolution, gobs and gobs of it. It is not just speculation or a faith choice or an assumption or a religion. It is a productive framework for lots of biological research, and it has amazing explanatory power. There is no conspiracy to hide the truth about the failure of evolution. There has really been no failure of evolution as a scientific theory. It works, and it works well.

- Todd Wood, Young-Earth Creationist

The truth about evolution

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I dont think youve shown that the moral evolution of the Jews is necessary for scientific endeavor to be robust.

(I have been convinced for some time that the Bible records the valuable moral progress of a people. But I'm dismayed at how many Christians think that progress was meant to end with the epistles of Paul.)

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov

Upvote 0