OK,
Just as a tree has branches,
so also it has roots,

The love of money is one root of evil,
Snobbery is also a root of evil.

I don,t like using the word "evil",

Rather darkness,
but,
A little bit of light dispels a lot of darkness.

If all is by the Grace of God,
Where then does snobbery come from?

It comes in all shapes and forms.

A balance act,
having a too high opinion or too low opinion of oneself.

Whichever way, it is the opposite direction of peace.

Would reckon.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Those who believe themselves drenched in godly light often cast the darkest shadows. One look at history shows that the self-appointed champions of Righteousness often ended up being remembered as butchers, conquerers and instigators of genocide.
I say we need to face our shadows, confront and acknowledge all that we do not like about ourselves, stop externalising and projecting guilt or shame or disgust, and then aim to either work through our less beloved parts or re-integrate them into our being, redeeming them. Self-love is important, perhaps even a condition for being able to truly love others, but in order to do so, we MUST know ourselves, and not build up our esteem around a false effigy we've propped up to sustain our sense of self-worth while ignoring our darker aspects. That way lies suffering.

Upvote 0

AskTheFamily

Mar 14, 2010
Ottawa
✟14,900.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Among the ignorance of our time, is in the slogan "to not judge people" people harshly judge those who do. Beware of the sight of the believer for that person sees by the light of God and beware of the prayer of the oppressed regarding the oppressor, for that, there is no veil between them and God.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
When counting back change to a customer, always place
the coins in their hand first, and then the bills. This way,
the coins don't slide off the bills.

:}

-

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all."
--Denis Diderot
Denis Diderot - Wikiquote

I like that in the sense that the true nature of God is life and evil perceptions of God are deadly to a person. that a mere belief in God is not enough, that you have to conform to Gods image if you truly believe in him.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I like that in the sense that the true nature of God is life and evil perceptions of God are deadly to a person. that a mere belief in God is not enough, that you have to conform to Gods image if you truly believe in him.
Re-defining a personal entity to be supposedly synonymous with something vital is what Soviet propaganda did with "the Party": they even locked up dissidents in lunatic asylums , arguing that since the Party was Life and Justice and Goodness, opposing it meant that you must be either evil or insane.

And just as our litmus test for the Soviet Party's claims was their deeds, I would evaluate deities by the myths associated with them: Zeus is a philandering villain, Odin a war-mongering schemer, and Allah a self-aggrandising tyrant who not only micro-manages his followers , but promises to burn the skin off of anyone who fails to comply.
And truth be told, YHVH fails just as badly when we take a single look at the Bible, old OR new testament.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
"It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all."
--Denis Diderot
I couldn't agree more. What's important is living Life, helping those in need, finding beauty and harmony with what we see and experience around us. When we start to define God as beliefs tend to do, we miss what's important.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Re-defining a personal entity to be supposedly synonymous with something vital is what Soviet propaganda did with "the Party": they even locked up dissidents in lunatic asylums , arguing that since the Party was Life and Justice and Goodness, opposing it meant that you must be either evil or insane.

And just as our litmus test for the Soviet Party's claims was their deeds, I would evaluate deities by the myths associated with them: Zeus is a philandering villain, Odin a war-mongering schemer, and Allah a self-aggrandising tyrant who not only micro-manages his followers , but promises to burn the skin off of anyone who fails to comply.
And truth be told, YHVH fails just as badly when we take a single look at the Bible, old OR new testament.

yes the camels hair outer clothing is very uncomely which is why in my religion i'm told that the kingdom of God is inside of you, but those who are outside the holy city weep and gnash their teeth. I on the other hand weep and have my tears wiped away. of course i'm not perfect and there are shadowy aspects of my existence as well.

anyone not bothered with some of the things written in their holy text make me worry about them. but we all have to face what we are and we will all be what we are.

this universe itself has a very horrible and dark side to it. most people ignore parts of reality. we kill trillions of other beings to sustain our own existence. we almost certainly must toil and suffer to live. inevitable health problems exist due to our imperfect and mortal nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I couldn't agree more. What's important is living Life, helping those in need, finding beauty and harmony with what we see and experience around us. When we start to define God as beliefs tend to do, we miss what's important.
I think he was saying that religion and spirituality are worthless (?) I guess we can't ask him now that he is dead. Apparently he was an atheist later in life. I was reading through some of his quotes to get a feel for his attitude. This isn't relevant to that question, but I like it:
"The first promise exchanged by two beings of flesh was at the foot of a rock that was crumbling into dust; they took as witness for their constancy a sky that is not the same for a single instant; everything changed in them and around them, and they believed their hearts free of vicissitudes. O children! always children!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AskTheFamily

Mar 14, 2010
Ottawa
✟14,900.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Reflection which results in all attachments of the soul to this hasty temporary world being cast to the next and to the face of God which remains, is the only reflection that is not overwhelmed and negated by passion relying on conjecture.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why do our governments expel diplomats in times of political crisis? Is my truth more reliable then yours just because I craft a better argument? Why would we enshrine the things of God on an altar, when we can't find him in our hearts? Why must we strive for the best, greatest and strongest when common decency is a much greater good? Why are the questions, always, so much more interesting, and important, then the answers?

Upvote 0

AskTheFamily

Mar 14, 2010
Ottawa
✟14,900.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The greatest aspect of love is fear, because it is the aspect of love that seeks to protect what it has, and that is the greatest aspect of gratitude, to protect and appreciate the greatest treasure you are given is through fear and that most treasured aspect of appreciation. And fear also seeks to protect gratitude from the state of ingratitude, certainty from doubt, and vision from blindness. It safeguards the individual but also seeks to protect others and society. That is what fear is, it's a protector. Don't ever mix that with cowardice.

Upvote 0