✟1,357,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Timothy 1:8-14 ESV

“Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do.
“But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.”

What is “the testimony about our Lord”? What is “the gospel”? I ask these questions, for there are many different ideas floating around these days regarding the message of the gospel of our salvation. And how we understand what that means will determine how we interpret this passage of Scripture. For I imagine that most people who call themselves “Christians” are not ashamed to admit that they are Christians, though some may be.

So, what was the gospel that Paul taught and that he suffered for?

He taught that, by faith in Jesus Christ, we are crucified and buried with Christ in death to sin, and we are raised with Christ to walk in newness of life in him, no longer to live as slaves to sin but now as slaves to God and to his righteousness. Thus, we are to no longer allow sin to reign (have control) in our mortal bodies, to make us obey its passions. For if sin is what we obey, it will end in death. But if obedience to God is what we obey, it will lead to righteousness and to sanctification, and its end is eternal life. For how can we who died to sin still live in it? (see Romans 6:1-23)

He taught that, by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, God condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but to set the mind on the flesh is death, whereas to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. So, if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live (see Romans 8:1-14).

He taught that, as believers in Jesus Christ, we are to no longer walk (in conduct, in practice) as the ungodly do in the passions of their flesh due to the hardness of their hearts. Thus, we are not to become callous, giving ourselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity. For that is not the way we should have learned Christ. We should have learned to put off our old self, which belongs to our former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of our minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true holiness and righteousness (see Ephesians 4:17-24).

He taught that if we walk (in conduct, in practice) by the Spirit that we will not gratify the desires of the flesh. And the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, adultery, homosexuality, fits of anger, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and other things like these. And so he warned us that those who are doing (practicing) such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may receive what is due for what he has done in the body, whether good or evil.

[see Galatians 5:16-24; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; 2 Corinthians 5:10; Romans 2:6-8; Galatians 6:7-8; Ephesians 5:3-6; Colossians 1:21-23; Colossians 3:5-11; Romans 1:18-32; Titus 2:11-14; Romans 12:1-2; Ephesians 2:10; 1 Corinthians 15:1-11; cf. Luke 9:23-26; Matthew 7:21-23]

And if we teach, and if we live the gospel that Paul taught, and that Jesus taught, and that the other apostles taught, in their fulness of context, we will also be hated and persecuted for the sake of the message of the gospel like Jesus and Paul and the other NT apostles suffered for the sake of righteousness and for the sake of the gospel of Christ. For not many want to hear that we must put sin to death in our lives and now walk in obedience to our Lord in holy living, in practice, if we want to have eternal life with God. Too many are altering the gospel in order to appease people in their sin.

[Matt 5:10-12; Matt 10:16-25; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 6:22-23; Lu 21:12-19; Jn 15:1-21; Jn 16:33; Jn 17:14; Ac 14:22; Rom 5:3-5; Phil 3:7-11; 1 Pet 1:6-7; 1 Pet 4:12-17; 2 Tim 3:12; 1 Thess 3:1-5; Jas 1:2-4; 2 Co 1:3-11; Heb 12:3-12; 1 Jn 3:13; Rev 6:9-11; Rev 7:9-17; Rev 11:1-3; Rev 12:17; Rev 13:1-18; Rev 14:1-13]

Seek the Lord

An Original Work / July 20, 2012
Based off Isaiah 55

“Come to Me all you who thirst; come to waters.
Listen to Me, and eat what’s good today,
And your soul will delight in richest of fare.
Give ear to Me, and you will live.
I have made an eternal covenant with you.
Wash in the blood of the Lamb.”

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him.
Let the wicked forsake his way, in truth.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will receive mercy.
Freely, God pardons him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,”
declares the Lord, our God.

“My word that goes out of My mouth is truthful.
It will not return to Me unfulfilled.
My word will accomplish all that I desire,
And achieve the goal I intend.
You will go in joy and be led forth in peace.
The mountains will burst into song… before you,
And all of the trees clap their hands.”

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
And if we teach, and if we live the gospel that Paul taught, and that Jesus taught, and that the other apostles taught, in their fulness of context, we will also be hated and persecuted for the sake of the message of the gospel like Jesus and Paul and the other NT apostles suffered for the sake of righteousness and for the sake of the gospel of Christ. For not many want to hear that we must put sin to death in our lives and now walk in obedience to our Lord in holy living, in practice, if we want to have eternal life with God. Too many are altering the gospel in order to appease people in their sin.
Amen. It is so, and has been so for centuries.

Upvote 0