Status
Not open for further replies.

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Mat 6:14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 "But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.​

Does this verse teach that we are to forgive men who sin agaist even if they have not repented?​

I already have the answer to this question but thought it would be intersting to see what others say.​

Jesus asked for the roman soldiers to be forgiven.

Father forgive them, they do not know what they are doing.

I love this verse, as I used to get worried that i was not asking for forgivness for sins which i had forgotton about or that i didnt know were sins.

I still get hung up on the repentance thing sometimes,
but i am sure of Gods love for me and that I am in receipt of his grace.

blessings.

Super slug

Upvote 0
We are hardly more like the Almighty when we pardon those who do not seek it! Anyway, our attempts at peacemaking in this world will meet with varied results(sort of like God's experience, I guess). I can forgive someone who honestly can't see they have done wrong, or I might humbly apologize for wronging someone when their offense was many times greater than my smaller misstep. Still, forgiving often is so healing and freeing to those of us who DO that incredible act of letting an offense sink into oblivion with no grudges nor attempts at vengeance. God bless, Al

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Mat 6:14 "For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
15 "But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Isnt this OT law? where forgiveness is conditional. ie if you do this, God does this. This is not grace. You never find Paul teaching this to the churches. In fact, what is taught is FORGIVE BCOS YOU HAVE FORGIVENESS/HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN.

Today, if we do not want forgive someone who has offended us, then it is to our loss.
1. We cant come boldly to God's throne with faith if we harbour bitterness towards someone. It will be on our conscience.
2. Science has shown that bitterness/unforgiveness, if held on for too long, leads to certain diseases.

Also, it is not realistic to expect the offender to repent first b4 we forgive him. What if he does not repent? Are we then going to bear the grudge until we die? No, forgiveness does not depend on repentance.

Upvote 0
This is one of my major hang ups. Christians seem to be required to forgive unconditionally, I have no problem with this.

But divine forgiveness, some people say, needs repentance. Does this make gods grace conditional. If it does then surely it is not grace.

Jesus forgave people, healed and offered salvation to the repentant and non repentant, to those that had faith and those that didnt. Thats grace!

This would seem that heaven is an open door to all who dont actively reject christ. But this doesnt fit in with other scripture.

Help!

Upvote 0

duster1az

Jun 25, 2003
Southwest
Visit site
✟421.00
Faith
Christian
cougan writes: "Does this verse teach that we are to forgive men who sin agaist even if they have not repented?"

Isn't it telling that this section alone is taken up for explanation by our Lord? It's evident He's trying to keep it from misunderstanding.

"...but if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions" (Matt. 6:15). Surely we can recognize this portion of the petition (meaning what Christ insists it means) is opposed to the principle of grace.

"And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you" (Eph. 4:32). What Christians should proclaim at the top of their lungs is that God, "being rich in mercy,... even when we were dead in our transgressions made us alive together with Christ. It's by grace we've been saved (Eph. 2:4-5).

However, there are always those who are determined to bend the legal condition evident in this prayer into conformity with grace.

In regard to forgiveness, the Christian is urged to forgive those who have injured him (see above Scripture). Is it required that we seek out the person in order to forgive? No, but we must forgive them for our own sanity and turn them over to God for Him to deal with.

Fellowship is another matter though. Just as God doesn't restore fellowship to the Christian without confession (or agreement with God that our actions are wrong), we are under no obilgation to restore fellowship with those who have injured us and refuse to see their error.

In Christ,
Tracey

Upvote 0

Ken

Aug 14, 2003
North Central Indiana
Visit site
✟1,582.00
Faith
Calvinist
How do you think the above squares with
(Luke 17:3-4 NASB) "Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him. {4} "And if he sins against you seven times a day, and returns to you seven times, saying, 'I repent,' forgive him."

... does this indicate that we are to forgive only if the person in question repents?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

looksgood

Veteran
Sep 19, 2003
Alabama
Visit site
✟17,042.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, this is actualy a very interesting subject. It is true that when a person repents we ARE to forgive.

The forgivness of a person who does not repent has a few things we must consider.

1: If we are to forgive as God forgave, the person must repent. (Mercy)
2: If the person is ignorant to their sins we must forgive. (Grace)

Now what if a person does not repent and knows they sined?

1: God does not forgive those who do not repent.
2: God leads them to repentance through goodness.

So here is what I am thinking. We are to be like God. 1: Forgive the repentant person.
2: Forgive the ignorant person.
3: Be kind to the nonrepentant person and lead them to repentance. This is Love, not hate or bitterness.

But in forgiving do not forget justice. That means if a person repents, count his debt payed by Jesus.
If the person does not repent, he must pay his debt. That is Gods way.

Upvote 0

Fiat

Let It Be Done
Sep 5, 2003
Visit site
✟397.00
Faith
Catholic
In the Lord's Prayer, we say......"forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us". We are to forgive ALL who sin against us regardless of their repentative or non-repentative heart. We are not to allow the seed of bitterness to grow. Pray for those who have hurt, sinned against you for their heart to be touched by God so that they will not be held accountable.

One footnote I would like to add, just because we forgive someone of a wrong doesn't mean that we have to continue an association with them. God gave us common sense and we are to use it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.