Shabbat Recipe

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
As you may not know - DH and I are on the Atkins diet AND we keep kosher -- this creates numerous challenges -- Shabbat Morning meal being one..... All those wonderful carbohydrate and sweet wonders that Shabbat Morning are so filled with in many homes are verboten in ours :(

Here is something I created off the top of my head this afternoon for Just That Meal ;)

Shabbat Breakfast Quiche - pareve
makes 12 - serving 2 per person - serves 6
other than the eggs all measurements are approximate

8 whole eggs
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
4 tblsp almond or peanut butter
drained fluid from 12oz marinated artichoke hearts
the remaining artichoke hearts after.....
set aside 12 pieces of the artichoke heart

12 muffin cups
cooking oil spray
about 4 tblsp almond or other nut meal
12 hole muffin tin

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

spray muffin cups lightly with oil spray and place in muffin tin (optional: also sprinkle 1/2 of of nut meal divided out into bottom of muffin cups

When oven is hot:
whiz first 6 ingredients in a blender or (I prefer for this) food processor on high, until good and frothy

move quickely to avoid loosing frothiness:
1)pour immediately into muffin cups - fill to top
2)place one of the reserved artichoke hearts in the center of each filled cup
3)sprinkle the remaining nut meal over each of the filled cups as desired - put into hot oven immediately

Cook for 30 min or until golden on top and toothpick comes out clean

Cool enough to remove from tin and allow to continue to cool to room temp, refrigerate until Shabbat morning - they will collapse a bit

These peel fairly well from muffin cups if careful - much better than they would from the muffin tin itself.... they taste delightful

If you can have the carbs you might try lining oiled muffin tins with nut meal and butter pressed into a crust..... wait until throughly cooled before tryng to remove these :)

Possible idea to increase loft - separate yokes and [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]es - beat/shiz whites until soft peaks; whiz yokes and other 5 ingredients until well blended, then gently fold into egg whites until well incoorporated and then put in muffin cups

I just made this up out of my head this afternoon - It works nicely the way I have stated it - the crust and the egg white idea I have not yet tried --- have fun!!

P.S. - the main reason I posted this it that I create stuff all the time, but I never remember the recipe since I make it up, and DH dearly wants me to remember this one - poor fellow, I don't think I have *ever* cooked the same dish for him twice in 17 years ;)

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
simchat_torah said:
You act like this is a bad thing?
Well, he likes many of them enough HE'D like me to re-create them - but I never can because I never remember exactly what I did.

The only thing I have done by recipe in the last 25 years has been making challah and even that I've had to adjust to get it the way I want it - LOL

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sep 6, 2003
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
mjterry87 said:
A little off topic, but I am currently on the Atkins diet, and have been for about a month and a half, and I lost 20 pounds. I try to keep Kosher, but it is really hard when the only things you can really eat are meat and cheese. :sorry:
AND eggs and Fish ;) We eat lots of eggs :) and ground meat - some cheese, fish and chicken. We have a small steak (actually flanken) each for Shabbat.

Doing Atkins and keeping kosher is additionally challenging as we can't mix meat and dairy, and the main items of this diet (other than eggs) are rather expenxive - meats and cheeses. But we manage - we just have to be creative and still count those carbs.

Have come up with a nutritious drink that is fast and easy in the morning to make - none of the Atkins/atkins-like drink mixes are kosher:

1 cup soy milk
1 egg
1/2 can Waist Watcher soda (no sodium, no carbs, Splenda, tastes great and $0.25/can!)
dose phyto-vit-min powder
dose Flax seed oil
dose liq Lecithin
1 tblsp psyllium (going to try Thick not/starch and see how it works)

This makes for a fast nutrituous breakfast and leaves more time for prayer and making lunch ;) total is about 7g carbs for a nice full glass - but then we have nearly no carbs the rest of the day - that is none for lunch and often none for dinner.

Only one ingredient is not kosher - the phyto-vit-min powder - but it is vegan - and since we both are dangerously overweight loosing weight is saving a life - and we are doing all we can to find kosher ingredients as much as possible.

We don't, of course, make this on Shabbat. What we have on Shabbat is generally salmon salad and egg salad (don''t have them the rest of the week - only on Shabbat so special) Simple recipes - salmon or egg - with chopped onion and celery, mayonnaise and spices to taste.

Upvote 0

mjterry87

Messianic Jew
May 15, 2004
Florida
✟8,415.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You know their is really only one way to loose weight, and that is to just cut out the sugars. Candy, Ice Cream, regulary Coke and soft drinks, etc....

Plus exercise, that is how I did it, and I feel great. Infact I have to get new clothes now because I am down atleast 2 sizes. :D

Upvote 0