Sexual Past

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ah, the wonderful fruits of sexual legalism in the Church.

I have seen it over and over. And in some places it STILL is like that. I fight it and speak against it where I can.

That absolutely sucks. I pray for you and your wife.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Same here, Dave.

I know I shouldn't, but I hate people like Joshua Harris and Bill Gothard for wounding people's God-given sexuality. I make the rounds on the internet to help others; I think God sometimes allows us trials for the sake of being able to empathize and minister to others in similar places.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not know that much about Harris; but Gothard certainly had his problems. I would say LaHay was equally bad. But the fault was not with them but a byproduct of the gentilization of the church in the 2nd century. Cut off from the Jewish understanding of the Jewish authors of scripture, the early church fathers intrepreted and twisted the prohibitions on lust and premarital sex into a worship of virginity bordering on idolatry. Some wrote that even married sex was so abhorant to God that the Holy Spirit had to leave the house when a husband and wife were so occupied. Jerome wrote that the ONLY reason God allowed married sex was to make more virgins for the church.

So what any of those contemporary guys wrote, it was not as bad as the early church fathers.

Upvote 0

Purge187

Former Prodigal.
May 22, 2011
Oxford, MA
✟29,807.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not know that much about Harris; but Gothard certainly had his problems. I would say LaHay was equally bad. But the fault was not with them but a byproduct of the gentilization of the church in the 2nd century. Cut off from the Jewish understanding of the Jewish authors of scripture, the early church fathers intrepreted and twisted the prohibitions on lust and premarital sex into a worship of virginity bordering on idolatry. Some wrote that even married sex was so abhorant to God that the Holy Spirit had to leave the house when a husband and wife were so occupied. Jerome wrote that the ONLY reason God allowed married sex was to make more virgins for the church.

So what any of those contemporary guys wrote, it was not as bad as the early church fathers.

True. Joshua Pharisee and Bill Gothard are just picking up where guys like Origen left off.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. Joshua Pharisee and Bill Gothard are just picking up where guys like Origen left off.

And we and our fellow believers are the ones who reap the bad fruit of that. We have been doing so for over 1800 years ......

Thank GOD that people like Shedd, Dobson, the Penners and others in the 1970s and 80s started reversing that trend by speaking out against these millenia old mindsets.

Upvote 0

Gkosh99

Feb 23, 2015
Germany
✟7,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Both myself and my husband had past experiences before marriage, and for me at least, it has been very difficult to overcome the guilt. We have both prayed for forgiveness, and believe that God has forgiven us, but if I'm feeling a little blue, I am reminded of my past sins and I feel the guilt again. My advice to youngster is that they stay away from such sin for their own sake. It has been 4 years since I got married, but my past sin can still hurt me. I wouldn't want anyone to go through that kind of pain. Blessings!

Upvote 0