Sexual issues with fiance threatening to destroy us

J

JacobOfEsthar

Warning, some of this is graphic, since it does involve sexual issues. But given that this is a forum for marriage related issues, I thought this was the most appropriate place. I desperately need help.
My fiance and I are getting married in about a month, and we have recently started talking about sex in our married life. It has been our primary source of conflict in the past month. I have a very high sex drive even for a guy, and I'm worried that she won't be able to keep up with me, and that it will end in divorce. Her own sister is urging her not to marry me at this point, saying that I will simply just cheat on her after we are married (not true, in fact to this day I am a virgin!!). Her sister claims that once a month is normal. I take issue with this because her husband has discretely confided in me about his wife's lack of sex drive (and the poor guy, while not a virgin when he met her, was a gentleman and never pressured her to have sex with him before they were married, and yet here they are after they are married and he waited for her, and he still doesn't get any)... Also her sister and her husband have been trying to have a child for nearly four years without any success, and they have both been complaining about it for years. During one of my fights with my fiance, I foolishly pointed out that maybe it's their own fault that they don't have children, given that they almost never have sex (her sister thinks once a month is normal, after all!).
This is actually a very complicated situation, but that's the gist of it. I'm going to elaborate below.

I have had a very long struggle with my sexuality and my Christian faith. I have been a believer since I was eight years old, and I am now 27. Before I even knew what sex was (must have been about nine) and still thought girls had cooties, I began masturbating. I didn't know what I was doing, just that it felt good and relieved pressure in my genital areas. My parents caught me one time when I was 11 or so and scolded me harshly and gave me a lecture on how masturbation is wrong. As I got to about age 12, my sex drive increased to a point where if I did not get a release, I could not sleep or concentrate. If I went more than a day or so, I would start to feel physical pain in my genital area and would feel feverish and nauseous. After I got my release I would feel fine. I got my release at least twice a day every day up until about age 14 when during a youth retreat they talked about sexual issues, during which they mentioned how masturbation is a sin. After that retreat, my relationship with God and my life in general took a nose dive. I tried to refrain from masturbating, but like I mentioned previously, it made my life completely miserable. I could not sleep, I could not eat much, I could not concentrate in school, and I would have horrible pains in my groin area along with the nausea. I wondered if I had done something wrong and God was punishing me. If I did touch, I felt horrible guilt. If I didn't, I felt physically ill and endured sexual pain. I seriously considered removing my own testicles just to be free from the misery that my sex drive brought me. Any fellow believer I discussed about this simply told me masturbation was a sin, and that I just lacked self control, and that I should just get married young. Ironically, both people who told me to get married young to avoid sexual sin themselves ended up marrying very young (18 or 19), and both ended up getting divorced. Rushing into marriage to avoid "sexual sin" is a terrible idea, and is one reason why so many Christians end up getting divorced.

One night at about four in the morning, after not being able to sleep all night due to trying to be pure and abstaining from masturbating, I finally gave up, did the deed, and quickly passed out afterwards. I decided that I would just give up trying to be pure since it was apparently impossible. Up until that point until a critical moment when a doctor literally saved my life when I was 16, I completely turned my back on the Lord. I would touch 4-5 times a day and became completely addicted to inappropriate contentography. Well anyways I saw a doctor when I was 16, and I told him about my sexual woes. He told me that I did not have any sort of sexual disorder, that many men with high sex drives need a regular release to stay sane. He is a Christian himself and gave me some resources and even pointed me to a youth minister who literally saved my life and my relationship with God. My doctor and youth minister made me realize that my need for a sexual release was natural and was not a sin so long as it was not abused. It took a long time for this to sink in, but once it did, everything in my life improved. I stopped consuming inappropriate content cold turkey, my relationship with God turned around, and my depression lifted off of me. I learned that masturbating in an appropriate way was very healthy for me not only physically, but also spiritually.

My struggles with my hypersexuality did not end though. After high school when I moved out of my parents' house, I struggled constantly to avoid premarital sex. Some women I dated even accused me of not being a man because I would not sleep with them, even though it was because I was committed to remaining a virgin until marriage! There were nearly a dozen times when I almost slipped up and had sex with a girl, but every time, God saved me, because something would always happen that either prevented the act from occurring or brought me to my senses. An example of this is one time when I was making out with a girl, and we were in the process of taking our clothes off, she got a call that her grandmother had passed away.

Fast forward to age 22 when I met my now fiance who is a strong Christian along with her family. We dated for a while, and from the inception of our relationship, we could not keep our hands off of each other. We never had sexual intercourse, but after we had been dating for a couple of months, we crossed the line. Of course, after we crossed the line, we kept doing it. We would be sexual with each other nearly every day! I was in sexual bliss - for the first time in my life, I felt like I would have a very happy sexual future after I got married. When I say crossed the line, what we would do is essentially a mix between second and third base and would end in me finishing myself. I don't want to get too graphic. A few months ago we decided out of respect to each other and our relationship with God that we would not do anything past first base until we were married. Well since that time, and well maybe a little bit before that time, it just seems like my fiance's sex drive has plummeted. Even though we don't do anything sexual, we don't even really make out anymore. I will try to initiate a makeout session, and she just won't be into it. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she now works full time now. A lot of it is wedding stress, too, I'm sure.

I tell her that I have needs, and that I will be miserable if we don't have sex at least three times a week (my sex drive has diminished over the years, and I can get by with a release three times a week). I would prefer every day, but I realize that this is asking a bit too much. At least she could allow me to touch to her if she's not into it, but she won't even agree to that. She tells me that I just need to deal with the fact that we are getting married and entering into "the real world", and that in the real world, married couples rarely have sex. It doesn't take a lot for me to be happy in the marriage, I say. As long as she loves me and fulfills my sexual needs, I'll be happy. That's it. I'm not difficult person to please. But now I get the feeling that I am going to be entering into a sexless marriage, where I will be miserable until the day I die. When I tell her this, she interprets it to mean that she's just not good enough for me, since she won't be able to satisfy me.

I am extremely upset about this situation, and I am angry at God. I spent the last 10 years abstaining from sex and remaining a virgin, nearly my entire life struggling sexually, even though I had plenty of opportunities where I would have gladly had sex, out of respect to my Lord and Savior, and now it turns out that marriage isn't going to solve my problems. Sometimes I now regret the times I rejected the opportunities to engage in premarital sex - I know this is extremely selfish of me, and that I should strive to please God no matter how miserable it makes me, but still. My best friend also has a very high sex drive like myself, and he finally met a woman with a sex drive to match his - they have sex nearly 20 times a week, and have been doing so for over two years, despite the fact that they both work full time!! And yes I know they actually do this, as I hear them, because we are room mates (he's not married to her). I get insanely jealous, and wonder why my fiance can't be like that. I spent the last four years with my fiance in a constant struggle to avoid going all the way to sexual intercourse, even though both of us could barely control ourselves many times. And this is how God rewards me for being faithful to him and waiting, by giving me a sexless marriage? My fiance's sister (who happens to also be a man hating feminist who still calls herself a Christian) has convinced her that I'm going to cheat on her after I get married. "If a man's wife can't satisfy him, he'll just go somewhere else to get what he wants" is what she keeps telling my fiance.

My fiance is about ready to call off the wedding over this. Other than our disagreements over sexual matters, our relationship has been great up until recently. Her sex drive used to be able to keep up with mine, but now it just doesn't. And I wish she wouldn't have to work so that her sex drive might be restored, but financial realities dictate that we both will have to work to make ends meet. I don't actually know that I am entering into a sexless marriage. Maybe once we actually have sex, her sex drive will wake up. But one thing she said to me tonight that got me very upset was that I shouldn't expect any sex during our wedding night, or even our honeymoon!! If she's in the mood, it will happen, but if not, it won't. The ENTIRE reason I waited to have sex and remain a virgin is so I could have a healthy sex life after I got married!!! I have tried to get her into our premarital counselor about this, but she refuses to talk about it, because she was raised in a family where talking about sex is taboo, so she refuses to talk to our counselor about this! She says that if I really love her, I should be willing to marry her and remain faithful to her even if it means that we never have sex. I'm sorry, but I can honestly say that if we never have sex, that I will probably walk out on her, because I refuse to live the rest of my life being sexually frustrated (I've been sexually frustrated already for 20 years, I'm tired of it), and I have told her that, which has made her want to call off the wedding (along with what her sister is telling her). It's very difficult to call off the wedding at this point, as we've sunk over 15k into this wedding, which is pretty much all of our savings! Do we go ahead with the wedding, knowing full well that our disparate sex drives could end the marriage? Again, I don't know how disparate our sex drives really will be, because we don't have sex yet, and it's hard for her to judge how often she will be in the mood when she's never even had sex. But we are so worried about this issue, and know full well that it could end our marriage. Why is this so difficult for Christian couples?? If we could just have sex before we were married, we would never be having this problem. For all I know, we could have a fantastic sex life, but I worry that it will be a sexless marriage. Please pray for us and give me advice on what I should do!

• Prayers
Reactions: Olmhinlu

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can relate to a lot of your concerns. My wife and I were both virgins at marriage. I don't know what the bases are these days. I don't think I ever did, but I hear they have changed-- gotten more extreme over time. Before marriage, I kissed my wife and was probably overly affectionate in certain ways. I never grabbed her breasts so I don't know if I went to any of the bases except first? (is kissing first base)? We were virgins at marriage, but hadn't given each other 'release' before our wedding night. Early on, she kept up with my drive one way or another. It's been up and down a bit since then, especially with childbirth related issues. That's normal. You aren't going to get consistent 'release' during all the stages of the month and childbirth and you shouldn't expect to. And as you age, if you don't have it as often as you like, it doesn't cause the difficulty sleeping it can in your 20's.

Should you call it off? Wow. My concern with getting engaged was that in the Bible-- in the Old Testament-- the only part that deals with certain of how to get engaged and married at least in regard to God's commandments for Israel-- once a man is betrothed to a woman, he has to divorce her to break it off. It's not just an easy light thing. And my mindset, after reading the words of Christ and Paul, was to never get divorced. If I were in that situation now, I'd treat it the same way-- except after I got her father's consent, I'd consider it to be a done deal as far as I was concerned not as far as having a wedding night early or anything like that, but as far as not breaking it off and considering us to be under an indissoluable bond. That's the way I look at it, erring, if I am, on the side of caution, since you can also argue that in our culture the father does not give the bride away until the wedding.

If it were a dating situation and I were in your shoes--and we were both sexually pure-- but somehow I knew she'd want sex once a month, and I had your needs, I would seriously consider breaking up over it. If we were engaged, and hadn't sunk money into it, I might consider delaying the wedding until we worked through the issue. But if you've got invitations out there and you've promised to marry her and gotten consent from parents, I can't in good conscience encourage you to back out. Add to that the fact that you have gone to all these bases with her, and taken something of her purity that you can't give back. I don't think in your situation it would be fair to her to reject her.

If you got feverish over lack of sex, the chance of meeting someone with the same sex drive as yourself who is also a Christian, who you also like who you click with is unlikely. Fariness and feelings aside, if you were to go back 'on the market' how long would you have to go without sex before you found someone who meets your non-sexual criteria who you could convince to marry you? That's a long process. Finding someone who meets your sexual criteria on top of that could add more time to it.

Your fiancee's thinking on this needs to change, and it needs to change by her submitting herself to the word of God. Her sister is her sister and you have to respect that, but it sounds like she is not a good role model. You need to get the idea to her, gently without insulting her sister, that her sister has some issues. She's got a problem when it comes to sex. Once a month is below average. Two to three times a week, I think, is more realistic, and nowadays consider the population bubble with the seniors in the US population. Two times a week includes all those senior citizens and all the people with health problems not including age. It's likely that young couples are more active-- especially newly weds. It's normal to have a lot of sex early on.

Your fiancee needs to have some godly voices speaking into her wife. It sounds like her sister is not someone she should be listening to about this. I'm also wondering, why should she be telling her sister about your sexual needs? I know girls talk about such things, but I can talk to my brother, but I can't see myself going into great detail about something personal about my wife like that. Maybe if it were really bothering me.

I'd talk to my fiancee if I were you about marriage and divorce in scripture, pointing out that betrothral in scripture required divorce. I'd also talk to her out of I Corinthians 7, which tells you both to meet one another's sexual needs. It's good to enter marriage with a commitment from both ends on this matter. You could point out that the tables may turn as you age and she reaches her 'peak' (if that is not just a myth) and you get older. Of course, you can wait until you are married (after you are sure she has had an opportunity for some enjoyable intimate time together) to study I Corinthians 7 and both agree to follow it.

You should also think a little more deeply about what you want in marriage. I loved my wife when we married, but the main need I wanted her to meet-- besides the emotional need I had to be around her and see her every day, hold her, etc.-- was sexual. I didn't care if she cooked, cleaned, and I didn't think that much about kids at first. But now having been married to a diligent woman and having gone through some ups and downs of marriage, I know what I want in a wife. I want a woman who loves the Lord, who is diligent with housework and cooking, who prays and intercedes with the Lord. I want a woman who knows how to take care of children. I also want a woman who respects me and submits to me-- because this is the will of God-- who also takes my sexual needs seriously. Of course, I want a woman who loves me. It's a real blessing to have a woman of God like this for my wife.

Early in marriage, I'd be focusing in with her in prayer and Bible study on the role of husband and wife in the marriage. Part of that is sexual responsibilities towards one's mate. You can do a little of this now. "If I'm not in the mood, it isn't going to happen" is definitely the wrong attitude. The Biblical attitude is 'You have power over my body" and if one needs help getting in the mood the other is willing to help. Self-sacrifice as a husband may mean putting down your desire to have sex so your wife can sleep or pray when life gets busier.

I haven't read the whole thing, but the two volumes, "The Excellent Wife" and "The Exemplary Husband" may be good reads for some of these issues. You can read and discuss together. I'd like to do this with my wife if things calm down a bit and we have some free time at night. You might also look through this lady's videos for some things to recommend to your fiancee to walk. She does videos directed at wives. I haven't watched this one, but the ones I looked through looked very good. There are some sermons on YouTube directed toward men, but I haven't seen any vloggers doing the same sort of detailed teaching for men as she is doing for women. If your wife really liked these videos and listened, it might help her thinking. It's best to have real-life people around her. She needs people speaking into her life besides her sister. Here is the link to one of her videos Are You Controlling Your Husband?Week Sixteen. - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Holy crap. I know you spent 15K on this and all, but I'd almost say don't marry her and RUN! I am so appalled by the things she and her sister have said. Married people have sex.
This weekend, my husband and I have gotten in about "3 month's worth of sex" by your future SIL/wife's standards and we're probably going to bring this weekend's total up to "5 month's worth" by the end of today. Also, one of the points of the honeymoon is sex. We had "8-9 months worth of sex" within the first 48 hours of our honeymoon. It seems completely crazy to me that anyone would say they wouldn't have sex on their own honeymoon.
Three times a week between healthy adults (with no medical issues or past abuse issues going on) is, IMO, a completely reasonable expectation. Between work and other things that go on in life, it might not work out every day for couples, but that should be something the couple agrees upon and works out with compromises. This is Biblical! See below:

1 Corinthians 7
New International Version (NIV)
Concerning Married Life

7 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.

15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Upvote 0

Puptart

Live, Laugh, Love.. and adopt a dog :)
May 14, 2012
Port Coquitlam, BC, Canada
✟16,539.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
My husband and I only have sex once a week at best, sometimes it goes two or three weeks. It's a sacrifice he's made for me because he knows I have an extremely low sex drive. My sex drive wasn't always quite this low, though.. in fact at one point it was quite high. But I've been through all the appropriate medical tests and there's nothing wrong with my physiologically. I've just grown in a different direction where honestly sex is not all that big of a deal.

I don't like how your fiancee insists that married people automatically rarely have sex. This isn't the case. However, two people have to meet in the middle somewhere when there is a difference in sex drive. That means you aren't expecting her to automatically come up to whatever you dictate is your "minimum" and she can't expect you to automatically reduce down to what she dictates as her "maximum". Everyone has to give a little.

In an ideal world, everyone would have identical sex drives I suppose, but this is part of being a unique individual. What's more complex is that sex drives DON'T stay the same over time, something even you have admitted you've experienced. So even if you were to leave this relationship, marry someone else, have tons of sex for the first year or two, you could still find yourself in the exact same situation in 5 years time.. or perhaps you wouldn't. It's anyone's guess.

That's why you can't just base a relationship/marriage on sex drives. Just like looks, sex drives change over time, and if you strictly choose or reject a partner on that account, you'll always be extremely disappointed no matter who you're worth.

That being said, both sides of the story have to agree to meet in the middle with a positive attitude, and you CAN'T.. and I say this adamantly and in bold: you can't go into this, neither of you, saying "this is how many times I will have sex a week". You can't. This is one of the biggest errors people make. It sets up these expectations that pressure the person with the lower sex drive and the more stress and pressure they feel, the LESS they want sex. So you just end up creating the reality you're trying to avoid.

Maybe you have sex four times one week, and ZERO the next. Well, that's life. Not every week will be exactly the same. Not every month, year, or decade will be identical.

In my opinion, you are both being somewhat unrealistic, and it sounds to me like you should speak with a counselor.

Upvote 0

A2597

A Peculiar Person
Nov 9, 2005
Visit site
✟10,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Umm... question.
Is your fiance a virgin? If so, she may be experiancing some concerns about the wedding night / honeymoon, and honestly... I wouldn't pressure her.

You need to remind her that you are marrying HER, not her body, not to use her, but because you love her. You *do* have concerns about sex, but that isn't what you are marrying her for. If she had a sex drive before, she has one, so not to worry. But understand that sex for women is VASTLY different than sex for men, and if she's a virgin, all this talk about needing sex is not helping her deal with the physical ramifications involved for her.

Your concerns are valid, but by focusing so much on this I imagine it is causing her some concern, and causing her to push back. Talk it through in a loving manner, and reaffirm that you love HER.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'd get out of this man, she doesn't seem very concerned about your needs in the marriage.

I wouldn't be a stickler for 3 times a week. . . you might not get it at all when she's on her period and some things. So you can't really insist upon 3 times a week. However once a month is far far too low, and if she's not even going to try to meet your needs then you need to get out of this.

This woman's far too prudish IMO to be married to any man. Marriage is a healthy God given state in which two people can have a sexual relationship in a committed fashion. If she's not too interested in the sexual side of the relationship, then she's not very intersted in the relationship period. Get out

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
When my fiance at the time and I went to pre-marital counseling, I remember we wrote down what our greatest expectations were and one of his high expectations was regular sex. I was kinda nervous by it, I was a virgin (he wasnt a believer growing up so his 'standards' were different prior to knowing the Lord) so sex wasnt a high priority. But after getting married, we both found that typically a couple times a week IS normal. Yes, as Link said, it will fluctuate at times and honestly no one is going to be 'available' each and every time the drive for sex occurs. That's just life. For instance, my hubsand and I do NOT have sex during my period for biblical reasons. So no, you're not gonna be able to get sex each and every time you want it, BUT to say that having sex only 1 a month is normal...where does this woman get her info?? And why is your fiancee listening to the advice of a sister with fertility struggles?

So I can understand as a woman being nervous about the big topic, but to insist that 1 a month is normal...its just not!

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

What IS important is that you are both willing to work with each other on this. If you want it every day, or every other day, and she wants it once a week, then see about twice a week. I just think it may not be a problem at all, because her sister is highly unusual, and there is no reason to think your fiance will be like her sister. But she does need to stop talking to her sister, and realize that most people have way more sex than once a month.

However, if you already see this as a problem, it's definitely better to get out now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd get out of this man, she doesn't seem very concerned about your needs in the marriage.

I wouldn't be a stickler for 3 times a week. . . you might not get it at all when she's on her period and some things. So you can't really insist upon 3 times a week. However once a month is far far too low, and if she's not even going to try to meet your needs then you need to get out of this.

This woman's far too prudish IMO to be married to any man. Marriage is a healthy God given state in which two people can have a sexual relationship in a committed fashion. If she's not too interested in the sexual side of the relationship, then she's not very intersted in the relationship period. Get out

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

CareyGreen

Marriage & family coach
Jul 26, 2012
Buena Vista, CO
Visit site
✟7,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What I would recommend is that before you move any further towards marriage, the two of you agree to get together with a good, BIBLICAL counselor or Pastor who knows about relationships as God intends them. Part of what you are dealing with is the consequences of your own sin (both of you), which needs to be dragged into the light and repented of thoroughly in true brokenness before you'll even be able to move ahead. You will need help doing that. Dont' push ahead without this help... it's what the body of Christ is supposed to do for each other, and what you need. If you move ahead without getting these things resolved, you WILL end up in in some of the most difficult misery of your lives.

Blessings,
(staff edit)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

JacobOfEsthar

I want to thank everyone for the advice. This is one of the hardest times in my life, and is one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make. I just want to do what's right. Other posters made great points, and I think due to their advice I realized that calling off the wedding at this point could be a mistake. However, if she persisted in her unwillingness to see a counselor, then I would indeed call off the wedding.
The lines of communication with my fiance have been broken ever since we started fighting about this issue.
Here is what I did.
I gave my fiance an ultimatum. I told her I loved her, and that I always will. I asked her if she loves me, and she said yes. I proceeded to say that if she loves me and cares about our relationship, then she needs to see a counselor with me. If she was unwilling to see a counselor with me, then I would call off the wedding. All she did was get quiet and cry. After she calmed down she finally agreed to see a counselor. I hugged her and told her how much I loved her and that we'd work through this together.
So we saw a counselor about this, a very kind older lady who simply LOVED to talk about sex (I was so relieved). She said having a healthy sex life is critical to a marriage, and like others in this thread have pointed out, it's the Biblical duty of the husband and wife to fulfill each other's needs. She said she's counseled hundreds of young (under 35) couples over the years, and it was ALWAYS a red flag if the couple had sex less than once a week, unless there were underlying health problems or work/travel conflicts. Sex is a the culmination and celebration of the relationship, and the more often couples have it, the healthier their relationship is. She said some of the healthiest marriages she ever saw were those in which the couples had sex every day. My fiance said that that's just impossible, but the counselor said that sex can mean anything from actual sexual intercourse to mutual masturbation to "fooling around" that may not even end in [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] for either the man or woman. She gave us this sheet where we compared how many times a month we wanted to have sex (the sex was broken down into different categories). Of course my numbers were much higher than hers, but I was surprised to see that she listed a total of about 4-5 times a month! I was confused after she told me that she only thought we'd do it once a month.
The counselor said we would need to compromise, and if my wife just really isn't in the mood sometimes, then I should just touch, preferably in person to my wife, but if that's not possible, then touch while thinking of her. She said that if my wife isn't in the mood, then she might at least consider simply kissing (which in turn might lead to her being in the mood!). She said that neither of us should NEVER guilt the other person into sex. We are going to see her two more times before the wedding, and then see her on a weekly basis after the wedding for a while, and if things seem to be ok we will drop it to a monthly meeting with her. She said it's normal for couples to be anxious about sex, especially if they are virgins (like my wife and I are).

My fiance's attitude seems to have completely changed. She seems more sensitive to my needs now, and worries about pleasing me. She even offered to fool around with me last night (a great sign!!) but I told her we needed to wait until after we were married (which our counselor suggested).

I don't know if anyone was praying for us (I was at least) but the prayers seem to have worked. I think that as long as my fiance/wife is willing to continue to see a counselor that everything will be OK. I honestly can't believe how much better I feel like our relationship is thanks to this counselor.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
That's great news, Jacob. I'm sure the prayers will help. Sounds like the counsellor is very wise and will help. You might find all the foreplay after you get married will being her so much enjoyment that she will desire sex much more than she ever thought she would.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My fiance's attitude seems to have completely changed. She seems more sensitive to my needs now, and worries about pleasing me. She even offered to fool around with me last night (a great sign!!) but I told her we needed to wait until after we were married (which our counselor suggested).

I don't know if anyone was praying for us (I was at least) but the prayers seem to have worked. I think that as long as my fiance/wife is willing to continue to see a counselor that everything will be OK. I honestly can't believe how much better I feel like our relationship is thanks to this counselor.

I am so glad that your fiancé is listening to your counselor and not her detrimental sister. Her sister is a very dangerous influence. I hope your fiance never talks to her sister again about your personal sex lives.

I think your counselor made a very important statement when she said
She said having a healthy sex life is critical to a marriage, and like others in this thread have pointed out, it's the Biblical duty of the husband and wife to fulfill each other's needs.

I am sure glad that you and your fiancé are getting this worked out. I can guarantee you that in your case once or twice a month would have ruined your relationship. To be that sexually unsuitable would be disastrous to your marriage.

Also keep in mind that God gives everyone a free will to choose a lot about their life. It is spiritually dangerous to get mad at God for what a person does with their free will. The sister has chosen to be suspicious and judgmental and I am glad that the counselor’s advice overruled the either ignorant, prudish, selfish, or bitter sister.

Jacob, you were so right to address this issue before you got married. You, your doctor, youth minister, counselor, and God make a great team!!

Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Let's see if this revelation lasts.

It says a lot that her sister could influence her more than you could up to this point, so close to marriage. Sex aside, if you marry her, no person should be able to influence her more than you.

But let's not forget that they are virgins, so all she had to base her ideas about sex on, was another couple. He has not said that this sister influences her in lots of ways. It sounds like hearing from the counselor cleared up some things for his fiance.

Upvote 0
She has an influence that SHE herself will have to break; Her sister. If it continues, your marriage will be an extension of her sister's marriage since that is her primary influence. To me, its still mind boggling the contrast in her character. The premarital sexual stuff, I absolutely do not advocate but if you really want to know what went wrong, look to your sentence;

A few months ago we decided out of respect to each other and our relationship with God that we would not do anything past first base until we were married. Well since that time, and well maybe a little bit before that time, it just seems like my fiance's sex drive has plummeted.

You probably want to get her away from whatever influence she has and have a heart-to-heart talk with you being broken. Ask her what happened. Maybe there is guilt for what you were both doing in the past, maybe her perception of you has been changed to "all men want is sex", or maybe there is something that has changed her perception of sex overall. For a girl to be hypersexual and right away switch to hyposexual, you probably wanna know why. Don't declare war over the issue. That will be the wrong appraoch. You will have to gradually, slyly and in a sleek form get to the true origin of this switch. Wisdom is needed for this. Read James 1:5 AND for the jealousy that comes when you compare your relationship to your friend's, read Psalm 1. There is a way that seems right to man but the end thereof is destruction. Your friend's way is not the way to go. Stick to the path that God has paved for you. The good path is not always the easiest path. If it was the easiest path, everyone will be doing it.

AND
I am not trying to be the "Holy-Judge" here but bro, you will need to ask God for forgiveness for some of the things you both did if you are going to get to the bottom of this the God-way. Maybe that's what is eating at her.

Upvote 0