• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Sexual Immortality

mydonspace

Apr 26, 2022
Howell
✟7,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm in my late 40's and I struggled with sexual immortality the majority of my life. I've been in recovery from a inappropriate content / sex addiction for over 2 years now. When I asked to be saved it was so I could live by a moral code and have pure thoughts.

In my small group from church we are studying 1 Thessalonians. In chapter 4 Paul discusses about being holy and staying away from sexual sin. The leader of my group wants to spend up to two meetings on a deeper dive of Christian sexual immortality. He wants us to prepare by pulling out as many instances in the bible that talks about sex.

Nobody in my group knows my story of addiction to inappropriate content and chat rooms. I left my other church because I shared too much information with the lead pastor and he incorporated into his sermon, he didn't use my name but my wife knew he was talking about me.

The majority of the people in my small group have been saved much longer than me and are devout Christians. I fear if I share too much about my past I will be judged and possibly cancelled out by my group that I look up to to for emotional and spiritual support.

This discussion is also very triggering for me especially when I'm trying to lead a life like one Jesus intended and think less of my past sexual immortality.

The facilitator of the group feels that this is a subject matter that doesn't get discuss much in the church and he feels obligated to touch on it. I feel this is something that should be done separate in a men's and women's bible study.

I'm at a crossroads here on how to handle this and could use some spiritual guidance on how to approach this.

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The biggest point I would make according to the Bible there is a big difference in this activity concerning the churched vs. the unchurched. Excommunication basically is how this is handled eventually to the unrepentant, who ignore the little talks given by their elders, pastors etc. That is the eventual thing you would face under the apostle Paul, if you kept in your ways.

The problem is, if you are a self identified "Christian", but not really active in a church, you kind are already self excommunicated. And well that sort of thing I think often represents a lot of people doing this.

Personally, I would go with my gut if I was in your shoes and basically not tell them if I thought they were judgmental, gossips and such.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,589.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I fear if I share too much about my past I will be judged

You don't have to share anything from your life.

The facilitator of the group feels that this is a subject matter that doesn't get discuss much in the church and he feels obligated to touch on it.

He is right addiction to inappropriate content is one of the scret sins no one talks about.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If they are more mature than you, I would say they would be compassionate with you and be glad to have you with them so their group can help you.

But if you are not sure about them, I would say be like the others > simply listen and join in with saying scriptures which help you.

In moving out of your specific sin problem, I would say it can be good to share with people who are relating as God's family. You move from where you have been, to loving.

And if your wife knows you well enough to spot that that pastor was talking about you, possibly she is willing to stay with you and help you. And you should be very glad and appreciative of this, if this is so. Also, by the way, ones claim that statistics show that a large percentage of evangelical men say they have a inappropriate content problem; so . . . may be . . . that pastor was not talking only about you :) > except maybe in certain specific details . . . but not like you are the only one with the problem.

I think it is good to learn to relate with Christians who are not struggling with your problem, and yes God can use them to help you. He can give them understanding, plus they could be where you need to go.

But in case anyone were to find out about your problems, and then give you a problem . . . pray for that person, forgive that person. Get strong so you can be caring about wrong people who are unloving and not compassionate > be their example, and in being strong in love, like this, you also can be strong in love against your sin problems :)

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm in my late 40's and I struggled with sexual immortality the majority of my life. I've been in recovery from a inappropriate content / sex addiction for over 2 years now. When I asked to be saved it was so I could live by a moral code and have pure thoughts.

In my small group from church we are studying 1 Thessalonians. In chapter 4 Paul discusses about being holy and staying away from sexual sin. The leader of my group wants to spend up to two meetings on a deeper dive of Christian sexual immortality. He wants us to prepare by pulling out as many instances in the bible that talks about sex.

Nobody in my group knows my story of addiction to inappropriate content and chat rooms. I left my other church because I shared too much information with the lead pastor and he incorporated into his sermon, he didn't use my name but my wife knew he was talking about me.

The majority of the people in my small group have been saved much longer than me and are devout Christians. I fear if I share too much about my past I will be judged and possibly cancelled out by my group that I look up to to for emotional and spiritual support.

This discussion is also very triggering for me especially when I'm trying to lead a life like one Jesus intended and think less of my past sexual immortality.

The facilitator of the group feels that this is a subject matter that doesn't get discuss much in the church and he feels obligated to touch on it. I feel this is something that should be done separate in a men's and women's bible study.

I'm at a crossroads here on how to handle this and could use some spiritual guidance on how to approach this.
Celibacy for single, widowed or divorced Christians.
Fidelity for married Christians.
No inappropriate content.

1 Corinthians 6:18
Flee sexual immorality! Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.8

Upvote 0