Set readings like RCC in a Protestant church?

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When I was actively Catholic one of the things I liked about the Liturgy was knowing the readings ahead of time and being able to read them on my own before the Mass. Is there a Protestant church, perhaps Lutheran or Methodist, that has set reading for the year? The EC and EO churches are not an option for us at this time.

Thank you for any advice.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Anglican/Church of England/Episcopal church follows the same reading schedule that the Catholics do.

BTW, the idea of set readings goes back to Ezra.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Anglican/Church of England/Episcopal church follows the same reading schedule that the Catholics do.

BTW, the idea of set readings goes back to Ezra.

Thanks! Yes, I thought they probably did, but they are not an option for my wife as she feels they are "too Catholic". I actually was aware of the idea being an ancient one, that is one thing I like about a set liturgy, the continuation and adaption of the Jewish liturgy to Christianity. Again, thank you! :)

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Try the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), which has lectionary readings found here. Avoid a mainline Lutheran (ELCA) or a mainline church of another denomination. The readings might be there, but the doctrinal muddle will also (sadly) be present.

Reactions: tampasteve
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you considered Messianic Judaism?
I have, and honestly, my faith journey almost saw me give up Christianity for Judaism a few years ago. However, the only MJ community near me is really just a non-denominational church pretending to have some Jewish styles of worship thrown into the mix.
Try the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), which has lectionary readings found here. Avoid a mainline Lutheran (ELCA) or a mainline church of another denomination. The readings might be there, but the doctrinal muddle will also (sadly) be present.
Lectionary! Thank you, I forgot the term. Thank you, I do lean towards the Lutheran Church.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
However, the only MJ community near me is really just a non-denominational church pretending to have some Jewish styles of worship thrown into the mix.
Yeah - that happens unfortunately.

You live in or near Tampa FL, right?

There is Shoresh David - which seems to be affiliated with the MJAA. Is that the one you were talking about?

If you want to drive a bit there are a few more in the surrounding cities.

Best Messianic Synagogues in Tampa, Florida with Reviews - YP.com

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah - that happens unfortunately.

You live in or near Tampa FL, right?

There is Shoresh David - which seems to be affiliated with the MJAA. Is that the one you were talking about?

If you want to drive a bit there are a few more in the surrounding cities.
Would they have set Scripture readings from a lectionary or just whatever the pastor decided for that day?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
When I was actively Catholic one of the things I liked about the Liturgy was knowing the readings ahead of time and being able to read them on my own before the Mass. Is there a Protestant church, perhaps Lutheran or Methodist, that has set reading for the year? The EC and EO churches are not an option for us at this time.
What else do you find you have had to give up besides a set pattern of readings?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would they have set Scripture readings from a lectionary or just whatever the pastor decided for that day?
The portion of the Torah (5 books of Moses) has been virtually unchanged since the days that Ezra set it up. The Haftara portions (Hebrew Prophets) have been in place since the times of the Maccabees but has undergone some changes, primarily between Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jewish communities.
There has been no firmly agreed upon New Covenant selection to go with the Torah portions, but many congregations follow Rabbi Jeffry Feinberg's Flame Foundation list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The portion of the Torah (5 books of Moses) has been virtually unchanged since the days that Ezra set it up. The Haftara portions (Hebrew Prophets) have been in place since the times of the Maccabees but has undergone some changes, primarily between Ashkenazic and Sephardic Jewish communities.
There has been no firmly agreed upon New Covenant selection to go with the Torah portions, but many congregations follow Rabbi Jeffry Feinberg's Flame Foundation list.
Thank you. Very interesting.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That was my reaction, too. Messianic Judaism may have weekly Bible readings and other practices in common with the liturgical Christian denominations, but it doesn't, I'm confident, follow the same lectionary...and that's what was requested in the OP.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
. Messianic Judaism may have weekly Bible readings and other practices in common with the liturgical Christian denominations, but it doesn't, I'm confident, follow the same lectionary.
Indeed. When the early church decided to distance themselves from Judaism following the 135 ad Bar Kochba revolt, they came up with a new lectionary NOT based on the books of Moses.

MJ still uses the first century BC order of readings.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a post above awaiting moderation...not sure why...but it has some more info and answers to some of the questions posed to me.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Revised Common Lectionary is used by a number of churches, including the Episcopal Church and two Lutheran churches (LCMS and ELCA), which have already been mentioned, but also including the Presbyterian Church USA, the United Methodists, the United Church of Christ, the American Baptists, the Disciples of Christ, and the Moravians. The Wikipedia page on the Revised Common Lectionary lists these and some other denominations that use the lectionary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Indeed. When the early church decided to distance themselves from Judaism following the 135 ad Bar Kochba revolt, they came up with a new lectionary NOT based on the books of Moses.

MJ still uses the first century BC order of readings.
The lectionary is centered on a Gospel reading, with an old testament reading coordinated to that. Which makes some sense. I would be curious if your older Torah based lectionary and a Christian lectionary centered on the gospels could be harmonized. Moses keyed to Jesus in Ezra's cycle. Just curious.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would be curious if your older Torah based lectionary and a Christian lectionary centered on the gospels could be harmonized.
First Fruits of Zion tried that - dividing the 5 books of the Gospels and Acts and teaming them up with the 54 Torah portions.

Genesis => Matthew 12 sections
Exodus => Mark 11 sections
Leviticus => Luke 10 sections
Numbers => John 10 sections
Deuteronomy => Acts 11 sections

And with those sections every verse of each book is read.

I went thru that study about 8 or 10 years ago, it was amazing how well it harmonized.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
First Fruits of Zion tried that - dividing the 5 books of the Gospels and Acts and teaming them up with the 54 Torah portions.

Genesis => Matthew 12 sections
Exodus => Mark 11 sections
Leviticus => Luke 10 sections
Numbers => John 10 sections
Deuteronomy => Acts 11 sections

And with those sections every verse of each book is read.

I went thru that study about 8 or 10 years ago, it was amazing how well it harmonized.
You say it harmonized, and I haven't looked at it to tell one way or the other. The harmony I am talking about is between first reading (OT except for Acts right after Easter) and Gospel, which are seldom done straight down the chapters of any book. It's true that the daily readings can be almost chapter by chapter. But the weekend readings are more apparently random if you just look at book names and chapter numbers.

I wouldn't mind at all another reading or two. Currently we have
first reading - OT
Psalm
second reading - NT epistles
Gospel

I would think it good to split the first reading into three with Torah, Prophets, and Writings. One each each liturgy, in addition to an epistle, psalm, and gospel reading. But that might get a little long.

It is possible to criticize the lectionary. And to improve it. The pre-Vatican II one has a bit more coherence than the current one. But then the current one has the advantage of the second reading from the NT and readings from all four Gospels in a three year cycle rather than only Matthew during the year and John around Easter. I would think a cycle of readings keyed to the pattern of Ezra would be a great good thing. It would be a departure for Catholics and lectionary based Protestants. Less of a departure though than for those churches where the pastor just picks his verses. Could it fly for general Christian use?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could it fly for general Christian use?
Probably not for those who discourage reading from the OT.

I suggest you look at the Flame Foundation listing. Their New Covenant readings vary from year to year, but it will give you an idea of what is being done.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Probably not for those who discourage reading from the OT.
Crazy that that sort even exist.
I suggest you look at the Flame Foundation listing. Their New Covenant readings vary from year to year, but it will give you an idea of what is being done.
I gave it a quick look earlier and saw it didn't seem to match the readings I've heard these last few weeks. I'll give it some more time. Thanks again.

Upvote 0