USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
With the upcoming release of The Downton Abbey movie it seemed fitting to share a short three-part documentary on the reality of life above and below stairs for servants.

Part 1: Knowing Your Place

Part 2: Class War

Part 3: No Going Back

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Very interesting.

A youtube channel I enjoy watching brings out similiar content, but with the twist of actual actors "living" the life of servants in an old victorian country house. It has old recipies from a housekeepers cookbook and shows the life of gardeners, buttermakers, stablehands and so on.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I discovered them today! I can’t wait to dig in. There have been reenactments and I think the BBC produced historical series is excellent.

It includes: Tales from the Green Valley, A Tudor Feast, Victorian Farm, Victorian Farm Christmas, Victorian Pharmacy, Wartime Farm, Tudor Monastery Farm, and A Tudor Feast at Christmas.

They feature Ruth Goodman, a historian of social and domestic life in Britain and anthropologists. It was hilarious and eye opening too. We have it easy!

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Are you aware of similar channels like the one you shared?
Not exactly servant themed, but here's another one that deals with life in the USA, especially in the 18th century. Has a lot of cooking, but also other everyday facts of the period.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I discovered them today! I can’t wait to dig in. There have been reenactments and I think the BBC produced historical series is excellent.

It includes: Tales from the Green Valley, A Tudor Feast, Victorian Farm, Victorian Farm Christmas, Victorian Pharmacy, Wartime Farm, Tudor Monastery Farm, and A Tudor Feast at Christmas.

They feature Ruth Goodman, a historian of social and domestic life in Britain and anthropologists. It was hilarious and eye opening too. We have it easy!
I wonder if I can still get these on iPlayer - well worth a look into - thanks for sharing LaBella! :)
I love watching history documentaries and period dramas, although I haven't got into Downton Abbey just yet.

I love history in general. Not far from home is a world heritage site called Ironbridge. It's a collection of museums around a beautiful gorge. One of its main attractions is a reconstructed Victorian Town where you can change your pounds into shillings and wander up and down old streets visiting olde worlde shops with people in traditional costumes. It's great fun going to school, using a slate and chalk, and being told off by the teacher!

I definitely agree, life is a lot easier now than it was back then. And the divisions of social class seemed a lot more prominent with the Victorians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wonder if I can still get these on iPlayer - well worth a look into - thanks for sharing LaBella! :)

You’re welcome! You may find them through a video rental service or library if they’re not available. I’ve seen the series for purchase too.

I love watching history documentaries and period dramas, although I haven't got into Downton Abbey just yet.

So do I! I’ve seen my share and enjoy classical British literature. I’d like to tour the settings of my favorite books when I’m in the UK.

I love history in general. Not far from home is a world heritage site called Ironbridge. It's a collection of museums around a beautiful gorge. One of its main attractions is a reconstructed Victorian Town where you can change your pounds into shillings and wander up and down old streets visiting olde worlde shops with people in traditional costumes. It's great fun going to school, using a slate and chalk, and being told off by the teacher!

Isn’t that wonderful? Living history sites are a delight for the senses. Stepping back in time and experiencing another period is exciting.

I definitely agree, life is a lot easier now than it was back then. And the divisions of social class seemed a lot more prominent with the Victorians.

Profoundly so. I see it in the books. Austen, Trollope, and Dickens captured it well in their works.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not exactly servant themed, but here's another one that deals with life in the USA, especially in the 18th century. Has a lot of cooking, but also other everyday facts of the period.

Thank you for sharing! It needn’t be servant themed. Period pieces are fine. :)

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
So do I! I’ve seen my share and enjoy classical British literature. I’d like to tour the settings of my favorite books when I’m in the UK.
Which books are your favourite ones? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I got a bit carried away - hopefully I wasn't too off topic :tearsofjoy:

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Which books are your favourite ones? :)

I’m working my way through a classics reading challenge. I’ve enjoyed a lot of books and a few authors really stand out. Novel wise, I love bildungsroman and novels of manners.

My short list includes: Austen, Dickens, Bronte, Eliot, Woolf, Trollope, Hardy, Samuel Richardson, Fanny Burney, E.M. Forster, and John Galsworthy.

I’m working through their canon in addition to the challenge. I also read a biography to learn more about them. Austen and the Bronte’s are done. Eliot, Woolf, Dickens and Hardy are 75% complete. I’m at 50% for Trollope and will finish these then move on to the others.

And I love Christie! I should finish her canon by next year. :)

Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The last channel that I have subscribed to is the following. It's mostly concerned with military history, the war of independence and the british military. The channel owner also does military reenactment and uploads POV footage (well, point of hat, really, that's where the camera is hidden).

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
@Anthony2019 Have you seen this site? Its a repository of period films! :ebil:
Thank you LaBella - I am just taking a look at your link!
My recent collection of DVD box sets includes The Tudors and The Vikings - such brilliant productions - I remember watching The Vikings at a friend of mine, we watched episode after episode for hours - we were totally hooked!
My next plan is to watch the film - Mary Queen of Scots.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I had ancestors that worked 'below stairs'.

It was their job to fetch slippers and the odd newspaper.
I hope the treats were as tasty then as they are now!

Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0