just LOVES the flagrantly biased moderating here
Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey All...

I'll soon be starting a sermon series on the life of Joseph - from Genesis, chapters 37-50.

There is SO MUCH good stuff there that I hardly know where to begin!

What are some of your observations and/or favorite aspects and/or thoughts on the Joseph narrative?

Thanks!

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey All...

I'll soon be starting a sermon series on the life of Joseph - from Genesis, chapters 37-50.

What are some of your observations and/or favorite aspects and/or thoughts on the Joseph narrative?

Thanks!
I love how Joseph was able to see God at work despite his brothers in the middle of his imprisonment and in his rise to a position of authority. It is amazing that he didn't become bitter. I also love how he was able to forgive his brothers. Yet, when he sent them back to get his father he told them not to quarrel on the way back, so he knew what they were like and wasn't excusing it.
You also have to see how it says that even though there was a lot of adversity in Joseph's life it never says that God left him. Actually, quite the opposite, God was with him even though terrible things happened to him. There is something deep in that.

Upvote 0

TrevorL

Aug 20, 2004
Lake Macquarie NSW
✟56,943.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings ParsonJefferson,
"What are some of your observations and/or favorite aspects and/or thoughts on the Joseph narrative?"
My favourite allusion to the Joseph narrative is Isaiah 29:22-24 which seems to be based upon the time when Jacob was waiting for the second return of his eleven sons, including Benjamin. The outcome was that they all returned and he received the news that Joseph also was alive in Egypt.

Kind regards
Trevor

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
Joseph is a picture of Messiah, shunned by his brothers, but he still loves them and forgives them anyway. They are blinded as G-d choose to do , to who he really is , just like Josephs brothers didn't recognize him because he looked like a gentile ( an Egyptian) which coincides today with the Jesus that the Jews see as not their brethren, but a gentile god but he will be revealed as to his true identity.

In Chapter 43 we see in verse 30, his grief over not being able to reveal himself just yet, and speaks of what we see happening in Luke 19.

Upvote 0

ParsonJefferson

Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Joseph is a picture of Messiah, shunned by his brothers, but he still loves them and forgives them anyway. They are blinded as G-d choose to do , to who he really is , just like Josephs brothers didn't recognize him because he looked like a gentile ( an Egyptian) which coincides today with the Jesus that the Jews see as not their brethren, but a gentile god but he will be revealed as to his true identity.

In Chapter 43 we see in verse 30, his grief over not being able to reveal himself just yet, and speaks of what we see happening in Luke 19.

Clearly you can see the parallels.

But how far would you push that comparison? Do you think his Christ-likeness is MORE than simply that Joseph led a Godly life?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
Clearly you can see the parallels.

But how far would you push that comparison? Do you think his Christ-likeness is MORE than simply that Joseph led a Godly life?

Thanks!
I don't recall talking about him leading a life parallel to Messiah. What I was speaking of is history, that of the Jews, do you see that? Joseph was like Yeshua in that his own brothers hated him, yet he still loved them, and laid down his life for them, he became the promised salvation that was promised to Israel from Abraham on. Joseph saved his people, Yeshua saved his people, Joseph was hidden from his brethren, so is Yeshua today hidden from them mostly still because Christians have done this for millennia. But the time is coming for the exposing of who he really is, it is happening today, I am an example, my family are Messianic Jews, the blindness HaShem put upon us and that hiding of Messiah from us from the Christian world is slowly lifting.

Upvote 0

A Brother In Christ

Senior Veteran
Mar 30, 2005
Royal city, washington
✟5,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey All...

Thanks!

heb 11:22 Josephs act of faith

Yet We as the Body of Christ can have a greater faith by using it daily heb 11:39-40

Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

Joseph's life illustrates the perfect solution to not succumbing to sexual temptation - it works even today - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! :)

GE 39:11 One day he went into the house to attend to his duties, and none of the household servants was inside. [12] She caught him by his cloak and said, "Come to bed with me!" But he left his cloak in her hand and ran out of the house.

Upvote 0

ParsonJefferson

Mar 14, 2006
✟12,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't recall talking about him leading a life parallel to Messiah. What I was speaking of is history, that of the Jews, do you see that? Joseph was like Yeshua in that his own brothers hated him, yet he still loved them, and laid down his life for them, he became the promised salvation that was promised to Israel from Abraham on. Joseph saved his people, Yeshua saved his people, Joseph was hidden from his brethren, so is Yeshua today hidden from them mostly still because Christians have done this for millennia. But the time is coming for the exposing of who he really is, it is happening today, I am an example, my family are Messianic Jews, the blindness HaShem put upon us and that hiding of Messiah from us from the Christian world is slowly lifting.

Gotcha.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

pimorton

May 13, 2004
Ohio
✟1,184.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You could start with a discussion on waiting for God's timing to work His will in your life. Joseph had his dreams, but when he shared them with his brothers and his father, all it brought was animosity, resulting in his being sold into slavery.
Next you could talk about not depending on anyone but God. Potipher and his wife failed Joseph and had him sent to prison. The cupbearer failed Joseph by forgetting his promise to mention Joseph to Pharaoh when the cupbearer was restored to his position. But what phrase is repeated in the narrative? "But God was with Joseph."
You could talk about listening to the LORD in spite of circumstances. Joseph never forgot his dreams that he would rule over his brothers and parents. Perhaps that is what sustained him in serving Potipher so that Potipher trusted him with everything in his household. God's promise sustained him in prison, so that the jailer put him in charge of all the prisoners. God's promise gave him endurance to wait the two years before being called before Pharaoh. And it gave him the courage to interpret Pharaoh's dream and propose a course of action that would have the entire Eastern Mediterranean region bowing before Joseph. Finally, depending on God's promise to Abraham led Joseph to give instructions about his bones, for which he was commended in Hebrews 11.
These are just a few suggestions off the top of my head. I'm sure others will have more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
Gotcha.

Thanks!

Something else came to mind. Joseph was given authority in all Egypt, answering only to the Pharaoh who was worshiped as god of Egypt. This parallels Yeshua who is given :

Daniel 7:14
And to him was given dominion, glory and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations, and men of every language might serve him.

Matthew 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.