Serious Consideration of the National Guard

Nov 5, 2009
East Coast America
✟8,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I feel like I go through this every few months. I look at the military as possibly something I should do. I'm not some big burly guy thinking he can "just do it". I can't explain what draws me to it, I was at a job fair and noticed the National Guard was there. After trying to ignore it for a while I decided to go talk to the recruiter. We started talking and making small conversation here and there. She said I should go for the chaplain's assistant and then if I wanted to, I could get the college training for Chaplain for basically free. But to have the training and experience is attractive. I teach/preach and am involved in service and outreach to the community. To alleviate poverty and aid my countrymen. This is why military service is appealing. I want to serve my fellow man in anyway that I can, I want to be an example of Christ's workmanship. What I am about to say next might sound selfish and offensive to military men and women. Another reason is I am considering enlisting is so I can understand people more. I am not a sheltered bible college student, but I reach out to people and try to understand everything they are going through. I'm unemployed and i feel their pain, I grew up afflicted by poverty, I understand them. My parents divorced and never went to church or spoke of Christ, I get those people too.

When my best friend committed suicide while I was playing church and preaching and feeling good about myself, it sent me back down hard. I felt his blood was on my hands. I reached a point where I could forgive myself and pray to God for forgiveness several months, maybe even a year later. I decided to never rebuild the walls that God destroyed and I earnestly prayed to understand compassion and be a warrior for my fellow man. Thats what started my outreach crusade, my christian life isn't a profession to me. It's been something that has been transforming me into what I think is what a human being is supposed to be.

Neither of my parents are christian. I talked to them about my interest in the NG. They were rather indifferent and I did all the talking. My fiance naturally is rather unsure I know what I'm doing and is worried. I don't think there are a whole lot of people that know or understand what is going on inside of this head. I also understand that a chaplain assistant is required to be armed and complete basic training. I would prefer it that way. I guess I just need feedback because I'm not getting any from anyone else.

Daveptsd

Feb 19, 2012
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you join the NG you will probably end up in some sort of combat situation somewhere. In spite of becoming a Chaplin's Assistant, you will be in contact with those who are hurting and need answers to the unanswerable questions - "Why me?....Why didn't I die along with my friends?....Why does God let good people get killed?....Life is not fair, there is no justice, life isn't even precious....How can people do these horible things to one another?....I'm too afraid to go back into dangerous situations....

Young people will be far away from home, perhaps for the first time. There will be few moral or ethical restrictions. Some will explore all they couldn't do back home and feel guilty or get into trouble as a consequence. How does God see them, what will you reaction be?

There's little glory and low pay being in the military but it's a job someone has to do. God doesn't abandon people who are thrown into terrifying situations that they never expected to experience while growing up. He doesn't turn His back on those who do things they know they shouldn't be involved in. Most of the world doesn't see God as we do or think like we who are so protected here at home. Someone has to be able to explain that God is bigger than the horrors of war and bigger even than the American Dream.

If you're not overwhelmed or discouraged yet - you might be of great service in the National Guard. May God guide you and bless you.

Upvote 0

RoadWarrior

Seeking the middle path.....
Mar 25, 2012
Texas
✟8,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
My line of the family is very military. My grandfather served a hitch in the Navy during WWI (yes, One), my dad and uncles all served, but my dad was career as an Army pilot and served two tours in Viet Nam. My brother (of two) is career Army and just finished his third year long tour overseas (two in Afghanistan and one in Iraq). I served 13 years of active duty, split between the Marine Corps and Navy then retired out of the Naval Reserve.

The military isn't for everybody, but I guarantee that anyone who signs up for four years will have experiences they will long remember. I miss the camaraderie, the adventure of being at sea or in a foreign country. I've been around the world a few times and traveled more in those 13 years than most people will ever do in a lifetime.

If you've been giving it a lot of thought, then give it a try. If you like it, you can transfer to the regular Army or Air Force.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2009
East Coast America
✟8,427.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The chaplain's assistant is required to complete the asvab and basic. Unlike the chaplain, the CA is required to be weapons trained.

That doesn't really bother me. But if I take the asvab and do well, does that mean they'll have me do something else instead? Or perhaps I do poorly and get another job, how does that work?

Upvote 0

Wayte

Oh, you know. Some guy.
Jan 31, 2010
Silverdale, WA
✟18,059.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The chaplain's assistant is required to complete the asvab and basic. Unlike the chaplain, the CA is required to be weapons trained.

That doesn't really bother me. But if I take the asvab and do well, does that mean they'll have me do something else instead? Or perhaps I do poorly and get another job, how does that work?

They'll try and talk you into jobs they need people in. as long as you're smart and insistent, and they actually have space in that job, getting a higher asvab than needed will not bar you form the job.

Remember, until you sign that contract, you hold the cards. The best they can do is lie to you. Which they will, so be prepared for that.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2012
NC
✟7,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Nat'l Guard is by far the best choice. If you get in and love the military you can always go from guard to active.
but if you get in and HATE the military you can never go from active to guard. youll be stuck

honestly, go air force. They give you a guaranteed job out of the service, pay more, have better college money, CE learning programs, etc etc

AND... they treat you better

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
GodsFighter,

Be aware that as a Chaplains assistant you will not be a formal minister and you could possibly never have the opportunity to witness to your fellow soldiers in a formal position, that will not be your job.

Your job will be to prep everything for your chaplain, guard and protect your chaplain, assist your chaplain... and he is the only person you answer to. If he decides he doesn't want you speaking or sharing in a formal manner... then you won't and you also do not get to choose the sort of chaplain you assist. You could be a Catholics assistant, a Protestants assistant, a Baptists assistant and I've seen some terrible Chaplains... Chaplains that say "yeah were all gonna die" when everyone's hiding in the bunker while rounds are coming over the wall... that's real encouraging!

You do not choose your chaplain and it is not your job to minister or share in a formal manner and unless the chaplain chooses to use you that way you may never get the chance to do that. I believe God will put you where he wants you... but just know that that MOS will not be a ministry position, you will have a support and protect role, fully devoted to the chaplains vision, whatever that may be and it could be something that you really believe in or something you really don't. It is up to the Chaplain whether or not he let's you speak or share in a formal manner.

Also know that a lot of Chaplains go where the troops are, there's a good chance you'll be on convoys all over the combat zone and that those convoys will get hit and it will be your job to protect him. It's not a ministry position unless your chaplain allows it and it's not a desk job.

It can be great servant hood to God because you're supporting that Chaplains ministry... just know that in general you will not be ministering and you may not agree with your chaplains way of doing things and in the military you don't to check yes or no most of the time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chilaha

Aug 28, 2011
✟18,986.00
Faith
Non-Denom
GodsFighter,

Be aware that as a Chaplains assistant you will not be a formal minister and you could possibly never have the opportunity to witness to your fellow soldiers in a formal position, that will not be your job.

Your job will be to prep everything for your chaplain, guard and protect your chaplain, assist your chaplain... and he is the only person you answer to. If he decides he doesn't want you speaking or sharing in a formal manner... then you won't and you also do not get to choose the sort of chaplain you assist. You could be a Catholics assistant, a Protestants assistant, a Baptists assistant and I've seen some terrible Chaplains... Chaplains that say "yeah were all gonna die" when everyone's hiding in the bunker while rounds are coming over the wall... that's real encouraging!

You do not choose your chaplain and it is not your job to minister or share in a formal manner and unless the chaplain chooses to use you that way you may never get the chance to do that. I believe God will put you where he wants you... but just know that that MOS will not be a ministry position, you will have a support and protect role, fully devoted to the chaplains vision, whatever that may be and it could be something that you really believe in or something you really don't. It is up to the Chaplain whether or not he let's you speak or share in a formal manner.

Also know that a lot of Chaplains go where the troops are, there's a good chance you'll be on convoys all over the combat zone and that those convoys will get hit and it will be your job to protect him. It's not a ministry position unless your chaplain allows it and it's not a desk job.

It can be great servant hood to God because you're supporting that Chaplains ministry... just know that in general you will not be ministering and you may not agree with your chaplains way of doing things and in the military you don't to check yes or no most of the time.

On top of this, you could end up being a Chaplain Assistant for another religion. As far as I know you can't choose which denomination you wish to serve in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 5, 2012
✟7,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Since your going to end up in combat ANYWAY, I can tell you you would much rather be part of a regular combat unit. Either that of get it in your NG contract the specific job that you want and make your its one you feel you can finish the training for or you will be given to "needs of the army" and will be put where they need you "infantry"

Upvote 0
L

Leap

To alleviate poverty and aid my countrymen. This is why military service is appealing. I want to serve my fellow man in anyway that I can, I want to be an example of Christ's workmanship.

Our armed forces are increasingly sent into combats that are, for want of a better term, ungodly and done for the benefit of markets rather than people. They are not the voluteer force of WWI and WWII, but are (thanks to McNamara and his ilk) a professionalised body who are expected to make a career out of being the servant of the State...and the State today is servant of the marketeers....which is not a good way to treat the men and women who are making the sacrifices.

Have you considered joining the police force instead? That would involve service to your community and nation, in a uniformed and institutional role, without the problems increasingly associated with our armed forces?

Upvote 0