Ohio
✟9,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m afraid to ask for advice because I’m afraid to lose whatever I have left of my hope.
I pray day and night for the restoration of my husband and our marriage. We’ve been together 17 years, married over 14, have an 11 year old son together. It hasn’t been perfect or easy but it has been worth it.
I apologize now for the length and possible rambling. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

According to him... He was on a roller coaster depression with suicidal thoughts. The last weekend of July, he decided he was leaving me one way or the other. He contemplated overdosing on his pain & sleeping pills. Our son & I were away with my aunts. He did not reveal any of his problems while he was suffering. He was a wonderful husband and father the whole time.
The same weekend, he logs onto social media and is PM’d by a lonely recent widow going through problems in her life. They talk, he supports her. They start an Emotional Affair. Somewhere along the way, it becomes a Physical Affair. And then it turned into what people call an Exit Affair.

Sometime in early Nov, I started listening to my gut and seeing the signs of his affair. I started pulling out of my own depression (that he knew about) and focusing on him and our marriage more. He pulled further away. Nov 21 was a night I listened to my gut feelings that screamed “he’s gone” and repeated all the reasons suicide was the right choice. It wasn’t only him. I must stress that now. I had years of heartache, depression, and disappointment in myself that exiting life was right. I tried to kill myself. I don’t regret it because I got the help I needed. I was in a psychiatric facility for a week.

The day I came home was the worst day of my life. When I got home, my husband was still in bed, awake. I curled up with my head on his shoulder and tried to enjoy his presence, remembering that he was the man I loved and wanted to spend my life with. After a few minutes, he rolled over to check his phone and play a game. Somewhere in my mind I realized his phone was unlocked and I could check it. I grabbed it. I hadn’t seen him so upset and disappointed with anything as he was in that moment. He made threats to turn off my phone. I yelled that “You’re my husband and you’re hiding things from me”. He said “Yes. I’m leaving you.” I was in disbelief and shock. He started following through with canceling my phone on his tablet. I looked at his text messages for only a few seconds but that was all I needed to see her name and something about “when you get to the house...” I threw his phone. I asked when he was going to leave. He said i guess now, since you’re home. It technically only took him about 3 hours to pack essentials and walk out the door.
I went back into the psych ward for another week.

As cruel as that day was, he has been fully respectful to me since. We talked a few times about why. He accepted my boundaries for the protection of my emotions. He is extremely careful about following them without fail. He’s been paying our bills like usual. He set up automatic funds transfers that start mid Jan. When he comes to see his son, he talks to me as if he still lives here, just not about us, unless I bring us up. He’s careful about not taking too much of his stuff at once and only with my permission. I know he’s just keeping the peace “for our son’s sake” right now .

I’m doing so much to keep my sanity and working on self-improvement. I realized in the hospital that my failed suicide meant that someone wanted me around still. I began praying again and listening in return. The more I learn about affairs, relationships, marriage, abandonment, healing myself without my husband around... the more I’m drawn to accepting him back and wanting him to come home. I see our positive moments and know they outweigh the negatives. I see that we have been through too much together to give up this easily.

Every ounce of advice I’ve received so far has been to let him go and don’t look back. No contact with him except for our son and finances. Ignore him when he’s there. Contact a lawyer and file for the divorce now. I’ve even been told that I have enough motivation to hate him and act like it around him.
The only helpful advice has been to focus on myself, my son, and our healing. I’m doing that.

I still love my husband and I still want him to come home, back to his son and back to me. I know I’m holding onto only the most infinitesimal sliver of hope right now but it’s there. I’ve received messages that speak volumes to me during prayer and and random moments. The loudest came during a 3 day jealousy infused selfish rage culminating at midnight on New Year’s (That was MY kiss, not hers) and rage sometimes feel insignificant to express the depth of that emotion. He came to visit our son New Year’s Eve and then needed to pick up tools on New Year’s Day. Even though I was in this rage, I was guided to still be his wife and his helping hand, like I always was when his physical limitations hindered him. It was repeated the last 2 days when he showed up again for time with his son while school is on break. Last night I wondered again if showing him I’m still willing to assist in this way means that either it’s a way back into his heart or if his affair partner is not performing the same simple acts of love and support, or both. I don’t know.

I ask for prayers... for my son, my husband, myself, and our marriage.

Dec 29, 2017
Ohio
✟9,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian without denomination. I believe in the Abrahamic religious teachings. Unfortunately I have yet to find a denomination or church that is united under God’s Word. Each seems to have something against another path to God and only their way is the right way. I read the Bible and the lost books.
My husband walked away in early 20’s but knows the Word of God better than most people we’ve encountered over the years.
He has the same issue with churches.

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would suggest for the sake of your marriage that you find a church; even if you do not 100% agree with it, and attend. Regularly.

Meet with the pastor to find a bible based marriage counselor. And then follow their directions to get your marriage back together.

I will be praying.

• Useful
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The fact that there's so much suicidal talk (both you and your husband) makes me feel the need to address that first.

Your life is not your own. I don't mean that in a "your life belongs to God" or "God has a purpose for you" flowery kind of way. I mean in a very practical, down to Earth way. Your life does not belong to you. You have a kid - and once you have a kid your primary duty above and beyond everything is to protect and nurture that kid. How you may feel is second to that. The kid's long term well being trumps everything else. As a parent, your responsibility is to never willingly do any harm to that kid, and I cannot think of anything that would damage a kid more than a parent committing suicide. You would harm that kid in a way that would effect him for the rest of his life.

So of all the available options in the world, take that one off the table.

Who knows what will happen with the hubby? What you ought do is work on yourself and your own sanity, peace of mind, etc. It truthfully does exist separately and independently from your marriage. Get yourself on a good emotional keel - for both yourself and your son...and let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@DZoolander has provided some excellent advice. Have you ever had the experience of being there for someone who's parent took their lives? It is the most wrenching, horrible way to experience the loss of a loved one imaginable. You would be transferring your griefs and burdens onto your son, x 100. Don't do that.

As for the affair, there is a Christian psychologist and marriage counselor who has studied what actions were typical in marriages that survived affairs. From his research, he assembled a checklist of actions that occurred in marriages where a spouse successfully ran off an affair partner and where the marriage not only survived but became a far better marriage than it was before an affair.

There's a free guidance forum in marriagebuilders.com which provides step by step guidance to betrayed spouses on how to give this situation the best possible shot at resolving in a way that saves the marriage, based on this research. The forum is staffed by volunteers, many of which have recovered their marriages from affairs using these steps. It is also personally supervised by trained staff and ultimately, by this Christian psychologist. I would highly recommend you go to the marriagebuilders.com forum for help with ending and recovering from the affair.

The longer the affair has been going, the harder it is to recover from so time is of the essence. The path to recover is not easy, but it's easier than living with the emotions you are dealing with right now.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many counselors, even Christian counselors, do not provide good advice for recovering from affairs. Bad advice ranges from give them space (to carry on the affair further) or being too gentle or affirming of the affairees.

There is nothing gentle about ripping off the bandage of the ugly, festering oozing stench that is an affair. But the faster done, the less the infection spreads and the better the chance of recovery.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prayers for you and for your son and for your success.

I pray you find the strength to do everything you need to do. It's not easy.

However, when you are done fighting for your marriage either you know you did **everything** possible that had any chance of success, or you'll have your marriage back. Either way, you will be a stronger person, with a peace of mind and in a better place than you are right now.

((((Hugs)))))

• Agree
Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0