IzzyPop

I wear my sunglasses at night...
Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Marriage has always been a social institution. The civil and religious aspects are both later add-ons that may or may not exist in any given society.
I disagree. Marriage has been a mostly legal institution. It has always been a method of transferring ownership and inheritance.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
I disagree. Marriage has been a mostly legal institution. It has always been a method of transferring ownership and inheritance.

Marriage is prior to law, prior to religion, and prior to property. This is true, whether you study it from a legal POV, a sociological POV, or a religious POV. There was no property, no law, and no religion in the Garden of Eden, but there was marriage.

Later institutions recognized marriage and used marriage, but did not establish marriage.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd say that it's legal systems that responded to marriage rather than marriage being created by a legal system. Law usually has to catch up to the community rather than the community being defined by the law when it comes to civil matters.. of course once the laws are in existence things get kind of murky..

I don't disagree that marriage in itself, regardless of when it was codified was for most of history (and still often is ) a means to control who gets what.

Reactions: Crazy Liz
Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'd say that it's legal systems that responded to marriage rather than marriage being created by a legal system. Law usually has to catch up to the community rather than the community being defined by the law when it comes to civil matters.. of course once the laws are in existence things get kind of murky..

I don't disagree that marriage in itself, regardless of when it was codified was for most of history (and still often is ) a means to control who gets what.
Maybe legal is not the best word. I'm pretty sure marriage in some form predated any codified judicial system. But brides were (and still are in some places) traded just like any other valuable commodity. Marriage arose from this system of bartering.

Upvote 0

IzzyPop

Jun 2, 2007
✟22,709.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is prior to law, prior to religion, and prior to property. This is true, whether you study it from a legal POV, a sociological POV, or a religious POV. There was no property, no law, and no religion in the Garden of Eden, but there was marriage.

Later institutions recognized marriage and used marriage, but did not establish marriage.
As stated in the above post, I agree that marriage predated law, but I disagree that marriage predated property. Marriage is all about property. It severed the female from her prior family and bonded her to the new one (thus the change of surname).

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
As stated in the above post, I agree that marriage predated law, but I disagree that marriage predated property. Marriage is all about property. It severed the female from her prior family and bonded her to the new one (thus the change of surname).

Certainly marriage predated property according to the POV of the Christian scriptures. Whether it predated property in terms of anthropological prehistory is probably impossible to prove because the history off marriage customs, to the degree they have been preserved, have come down to us along with property customs.

I think we can agree, though, that pair-bonding seems to be pretty normative to human reproduction. So the question would be whether some sort of socially recognized pair bonding had already begun to occur before humans invented the concept of property. I would argue that it is more plausible that concepts of property arose among social groups that were already pair-bonding than that pair-bonding arose out of the concept of property.

You may argue that pair-bonding did not become what we would recognize as marriage until customs involving property were added to the customs of pair-bonding. If so, then you may make your argument that property preceded marriage, but realize it is circular. I think it is highly improbable that concepts of property preceded human pair-bonding.

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
It severed the female from her prior family and bonded her to the new one (thus the change of surname).

Oh, and one interesting thing about the Garden of Eden in Judeo-Christian mythology: It preserves the idea that originally marriage severed the male from his prior family and bonded him to the new one.

Genesis 2:24

Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and clings to his wife, and they become one flesh.​

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cons - homosexuals still don't have the same rights as heterosexuals.

Nor do two girls or two boys having consentual sex need any. A family may, but homosexual sex cannot produce a family. And secular government doesn't wish to foster sex for sex sake (at least it once didn't). At least I don't see how sex benefits society except for the procreation of childern to fill various future roles in society. And make MODEL citizens. Are sex mongers model citizens or simply abusers of such?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nor do two girls or two boys having consentual sex need any. A family may, but homosexual sex cannot produce a family. And secular government doesn't wish to foster sex for sex sake (at least it once didn't). At least I don't see how sex benefits society except for the procreation of childern to fill various future roles in society. And make MODEL citizens. Are sex mongers model citizens or simply abusers of such?

Having sex for the sake of pleasure doesn't make you a nymphomaniac sex monger.

Upvote 0

OdwinOddball

Atheist Water Fowl
Jan 3, 2006
Birmingham, AL
✟22,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

So who gets to define who is a "MODEL" citizen? And in what possible way could who a person finds attractive have anything to do with it?

Also, how in the world do "sex mongers" relate to homosexuals, homosexuals who in fact may or may not be sexual active just like heterosexuals.

What in the world is a "sex monger" anyway?

And who has given you the right to define family for the rest of us? Family is a nebulous term, that frankly over the centuries has covered a variety of social groups. And what prevents a homosexual from having children? Much like a lot of heterosexual couples these days, homosexuals can engage in artificial insemination or adoption to have a child. What invalidates these children and the corresponding family structure?

Why can't you just admit that you find homosexuality repulsive, and leave it at that. Why do you feel the need to try to enforce your morality on the rest of the world, when its quite clear it isn't wanted or appreciated?

Reactions: WatersMoon110
Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
So who gets to define who is a "MODEL" citizen? And in what possible way could who a person finds attractive have anything to do with it?

Also, how in the world do "sex mongers" relate to homosexuals, homosexuals who in fact may or may not be sexual active just like heterosexuals.

What in the world is a "sex monger" anyway?

And who has given you the right to define family for the rest of us? Family is a nebulous term, that frankly over the centuries has covered a variety of social groups. And what prevents a homosexual from having children? Much like a lot of heterosexual couples these days, homosexuals can engage in artificial insemination or adoption to have a child. What invalidates these children and the corresponding family structure?

Why can't you just admit that you find homosexuality repulsive, and leave it at that. Why do you feel the need to try to enforce your morality on the rest of the world, when its quite clear it isn't wanted or appreciated?

I love you. I'd have a same-sex marriage with you if I wasn't straight.

Seems more like a quest to promote Christianity to make it the dominant force in the world, so they have can keep a grip on being the authority that decides what is right and proper. All under the guise of using the bible as justification to people who don't follow the bible, all for the sake of religious extremists never having to live with people that violate their own comfort zone.

Sounds more like selfish needs and wants that come from a secular thirst for control, being justified by religion.

Reactions: WatersMoon110
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.