self stimulation

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
Nothing specific about masturbation, but a general injunction against immoral behavior which includes lustful thoughts. Christ said if you lust in your heart you are committing adultry even if you don't do the act.

In the book of Genesis there's the story of Onan, and some people interpret that as an injunction against masturbation, but in fact Onan was punished for defying God and refusing to impregnate his brother's widow (custom of the time required him to provide her with a son since his brother died without a son to carry his name). Onan performed what is known as coitus interruptus (which I hope the high sheriffs will permit me to refer to) as a form of birth control.

Upvote 0

Kasey

Mar 8, 2004
✟1,402.00
Faith
Buzz Dixon said:
Nothing specific about masturbation, but a general injunction against immoral behavior which includes lustful thoughts. Christ said if you lust in your heart you are committing adultry even if you don't do the act.

In the book of Genesis there's the story of Onan, and some people interpret that as an injunction against masturbation, but in fact Onan was punished for defying God and refusing to impregnate his brother's widow (custom of the time required him to provide her with a son since his brother died without a son to carry his name). Onan performed what is known as coitus interruptus (which I hope the high sheriffs will permit me to refer to) as a form of birth control.

Christ never stated anything that would imply a thought crime. The Greek states specifically that those who deliberately lust after a woman having already lusted in their minds because they are going to committ the act one way or the other. He was just stating that from your thoughts comes action but until you act on those thoughts, you havent done anything wrong.

Hence, 1 John 3:4 states that "sin" is the trangession of God's Law. Adultery is sin. Therefore, to actually committ adultery you need to have sexual intercourse. However, you can think about it as much as you like, but until you DO it, you havent committed a sin. Yet, granted, thinking about it and harboring the thought will make it easier, there is no doubt about that. However, it stills remains. Unless you go forth to committ adultery, your not guilty of it just as much until you take an item in your hand to steal, you havent stolen or until you speak the words, you havent lied.

Since "sin" is the transgression of God's Law, there is no law against it in the Law and the Prophets. This should answer your question. Yet, be wise about it and dont let it consume you, especially if you have a spouse - it wouldnt be fair to him/her.

Upvote 0

Buzz Dixon

Aug 25, 2004
Los Angeles
✟1,184.00
Faith
Christian
Matthew 5: 27-28 (NIV):

27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

Pretty cut and dried, and not much wiggle room. Why bring thinking about the act if it's the act being condemned. Clearly Christ was talking about intent, not action, in these verses.

Reverse the polarity: Was anyone in the Bible ever criticized for not thinking lustfully about someone they weren't married to?

Upvote 0

Why?

"Love Thy Neighbor As Thyself"
Jul 16, 2004
✟9,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Genesis 38:9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.

~This has nothing to do with masturbation. Onan was commanded to do something by God. He refused. He died.

Matthew 5: 27-28
27"You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

~Well, if you aren't lusting after a specific person when you touch, then (IMO) it's not a factor either.

Upvote 0

NoDeity

Wicked Old Atheist
May 29, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
✟8,604.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Buzz Dixon said:
No, Onan was having sex with the woman and enjoying the pleasure of the act, but selfishly denying his responsibility to his late brother by withdrawing from her before she became impregnated.
What ever Onan's "sin" was, it wasn't masturbation.

Upvote 0
C

crashedman

nathan_k said:
What does God/the bible say about masturbaiting? I havent found any thing about it or heard any storys or parables about it and an explaination of it being wrong.

Hi,

One reason why I don't have much trust in churches is their divided view over masturbation.

Basically, it isn't a sin although as Buzz Dixon said it depends on what you are thinking about at the time.

Crashedman

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Holy Heretic said:
so jehovah punsihed a man because he did not wish to impregnate someone he was not in love with. What a sick god!!!

oh, and by the way, masturbation is fine, lust in moderation in certain contexts is perfectly fine. Anyone who guilts you for beeing what deity made you is an arrogant and ignorant hypocrite.

good day:wave:

In the time of Onan, a woman needed a man to survive due to the patriarchal nature of the society. During her life, a woman went from the protection of her father to her husband to her son (after husband's death). Giving her a child of her own gives her the assurance that she will have someone to care for her in her old age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums