Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi y'all, this is my first post so please bear with me as I just dive in. After a (relatively short) lifetime of searching, it is becoming more and more clear to me that the Anabaptist school of thought is the Church (or loose collection of Churches) that is the closest to the original teachings of Christ. I am from a part of the USA that does not have a strong Anabaptist community, and my only real exposure to said community is a handful of Friends meetings that I have attended. There are literally two Friends in my relatively large town. I'd say that their theology is overwhelmingly Universalist and Humanist, so not really what I'm looking for. I guess all that's to say that I don't really have the resources to learn what Anabaptists are all about. Luckily this forum exists!

Anyway, here's my specific question: What would be the general consensus of Anabaptists on the topic of self-defence? I'm talking about this on a personal level, not large-scale pacifism. I know that Jesus was non-violent for the most part, and if I am not mistaken Anabapitsts tend to be exceptionally non-violent and tend to shun weapons. However, what about someone who keeps a gun on them to protect their family for example? I could understand dying as an example of a Christ-like commitment to non-violence, but don't I have a moral obligation to protect my wife and especially my children that I brought into this world?

Thanks for considering all of this, and hopefully my neophyte understanding of theology isn't too terribly painful to read. On a related note, I would really appreciate any free resources that one may have regarding Anabaptist theology and specifically Plain Christianity. Thanks again!

Last edited:

SteveIndy

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2007
Zionsville, Indiana
✟247,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi y'all, this is my first post so please bear with me as I just dive in. After a (relatively short) lifetime of searching, it is becoming more and more clear to me that the Anabaptist school of thought is the Church (or loose collection of Churches) that is the closest to the original teachings of Christ. I am from a part of the USA that does not have a strong Anabaptist community, and my only real exposure to said community is a handful of Friends meetings that I have attended. There are literally two Friends in my relatively large town. I'd say that their theology is overwhelmingly Universalist and Humanist, so not really what I'm looking for. I guess all that's to say that I don't really have the resources to learn what Anabaptists are all about. Luckily this forum exists!

Anyway, here's my specific question: What would be the general consensus of Anabaptists on the topic of self-defence? I'm talking about this on a personal level, not large-scale pacifism. I know that Jesus was non-violent for the most part, and if I am not mistaken Anabapitsts tend to be exceptionally non-violent and tend to shun weapons. However, what about someone who keeps a gun on them to protect their family for example? I could understand dying as an example of a Christ-like commitment to non-violence, but don't I have a moral obligation to protect my wife and especially my children that I brought into this world?

Thanks for considering all of this, and hopefully my neophyte understanding of theology isn't too terribly painful to read. On a related note, I would really appreciate any free resources that one may have regarding Anabaptist theology and specifically Plain Christianity. Thanks again!

Anabaptism, like so many other “sects,” have their liberal and moderate leaning advocates so choosing carefully is important. If you decide to carry a gun then there is really no reason to change, just stay where you are at. It appears to me that there are two distinctives that characterize true Anabaptism from all the others, and they are: 1) Separation from the world, and 2) Non-resistance to the evil person. The second distinctive of non-resistance would include the owning of a weapon for self-defense.

Like yourself, I began my Christian walk in Protestantism. I remained in the Protestant Church for 43 years before finding the truth and life as an Anabaptist. My life ebbed and flowed with times and with the life of other Christians who were content with a religion that made very few demands on their way of life. Protestantism has adopted all the ways of the world and is “Christian” in name only.

The history of Anabaptism (which simply means to re-baptize as adults) was founded by “Radicals”, later called the Radical-Reformers because of their bold desire to return to the rule of Scripture instead of the mixture of man+Bible. They were individuals, just like you and I, who disagreed with both the Catholic Church and the Church of the Reformers, i.e. The Reformed and the Lutheran Church, who forced their citizens to baptize infants and attend their meetings. Later, with Calvin, Christianity became even more brutal with forced conformity, loss of property, and even murder. These Reformers did not believe the New Testament absolutely as the final rule for right living but rather linked arms with the state who likewise ruled the Church.

When we hear of the great persecution of this era it is primarily the persecution of the Anabaptist and not the Protestants, who had found the truth and would rather have their property and lives destroyed than to return to manmade religions. The names of these founders should be burnt into your mind: Conrad Grebel, Felix Mannz, and Michael Sattler. These men lit a torch that still burns today. Unfortunately, those early Anabaptist who fled persecution and came to America have for the most part hid themselves away and rarely penetrate the bounds of larger cities for fear of renewed persecution and the leavening of their lifestyle. The groups that are most familiar to outsiders are the Amish, Mennonites, and Hutterites. What they fail to realize is that “persecution” is a sign from God that the Church is fulfilling its mission, “For all those who live righteously will be persecuted.”

Persecution follows those who live a life of non-resistance to the evil person and separation from the world. The idea of owning a gun is the exact opposite of what is prophesied to happen. Carrying a gun or knife, in nearly all cases, is to avoid persecution and to preserve one’s life, or the life of a family member, when we are expressly commanded to lay down our lives for our enemies and to not retaliate against the evil person. For this very reason Jesus states that “Very few” will be able to enter the Kingdom. Love of self, family, and goods will keep most “so-called” Christians out of Heaven. “Many will say, ‘Lord, Lord’” but Jesus says, “I never knew you.”

There is so much more to be said on this topic but I have to stop. If you are interested in pursuing this discussion or want some reading materials please contact me at Steve@IndyWatchman.com.

Upvote 0

Abby Peachey

Apr 28, 2021
Boston
✟8,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single

I'm sorry, it seems like the format of my first reply didn't work.

I was born and raised in an Anabaptist Church, and the Anabaptists have many values that I appreciate. Along with Christocentricity and emphasis on the Sermon on the mount, one of the main characteristic values of Anabaptists is our practice of non-resistance. The basis of this comes from New testament examples - e.g. Matthew 5:39, "But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also."
The practice of non-resistance varies within different anabaptist communities and churches, but I would say that most anabaptists would not use or own a gun for means of self-defense - taking literally Jesus' words and example. Along with this practice comes a need for a trust in God's Divine protection and Divine Providence especially in the case of being faced (oneself or one's family members) with persecution.
One place where Anabaptists can be weak in (but i personally believe to be important) is to focus on active peacemaking, and thus bringing God's Kingdom to earth.

If you would like to hear more about Anabaptists view on non-resistance, i recommend watching the Just War Debate.

If you would like more info on early church and Anabaptist history, the Historic Faith series would be a great resource to check out! Home - The Historic Faith

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For this very reason Jesus states that “Very few” will be able to enter the Kingdom. Love of self, family, and goods will keep most “so-called” Christians out of Heaven. “Many will say, ‘Lord, Lord’” but Jesus says, “I never knew you.”

These words are so true...and are my biggest stumbling block. The Spirit seems to confess to me that this is right, and that any trust in myself to defend myself or family from harm is truly a distrust in God's Providence.

Upvote 0