Seder Foot Washing

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
John 13:12 So when He had washed their feet and taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? 13 “You call me Teacher and Master, and you say well, for I am. 14 “Then if I, Master and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 “For I gave you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
We say that we follow Yeshua's instructions. So I have to ask how many have a Seder foot washing?

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I personally don't take that command as literal. I believe He was speaking of hospitality. In those days (and earlier) it was common to do such a thing for your guests. They had walked to your place, either barefooted or opened shoes/sandals so getting your hot/cold, dirty feet cleaned was a pleasant thing to have done. Today, that's just not applicable, there's little need for it - we drive everywhere, our shoes not only cover our feet, they pad and protect them, and most people either wear socks or stockings. (You gonna stand in someone's living room and remove your pantyhose? I'm not!! lol).
I think that passage is simply an instruction to treat your guests like royalty (in whatever way that would take in what period of time you're living in), serve their needs.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
I have been to a foot washing and it was a spiritual experience that is both humbling and transcending of time. Given today's clothing, the need is gone, but I say from my experience, it is something that has to be experienced to explain itself. Praying for someone while washing their feet is more than just cleaning the feet.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0
A

annier

I personally don't take that command as literal. I believe He was speaking of hospitality. In those days (and earlier) it was common to do such a thing for your guests. They had walked to your place, either barefooted or opened shoes/sandals so getting your hot/cold, dirty feet cleaned was a pleasant thing to have done. Today, that's just not applicable, there's little need for it - we drive everywhere, our shoes not only cover our feet, they pad and protect them, and most people either wear socks or stockings. (You gonna stand in someone's living room and remove your pantyhose? I'm not!! lol).
I think that passage is simply an instruction to treat your guests like royalty (in whatever way that would take in what period of time you're living in), serve their needs.
I think what Jesus was doing was more than hospitality. You mention royalty in your post. I think it is concerning a royal priesthood.

19 For Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet thereat:
20 When they go into the tabernacle of the congregation, they shall wash with water, that they die not; or when they come near to the altar to minister, to burn offering made by fire unto the LORD:
21 So they shall wash their hands and their feet, that they die not: and it shall be a statute for ever to them, even to him and to his seed throughout their generations.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
It could be a combination of all of them, however in context Yeshua was speaking as their master or Rabbi (not going to define that again, see other thread) and he was acting as a servant. He was teaching his students humility, that one was not better than another one. This is what he wants all of us to be. But it soon got complicated due to Pauls teaching (or whomever wrote that letter)that there should be an order of importance.

And God has appointed in the church,
first apostles,
second prophets,
third teachers,
then miracles,
then gifts of healings,
helps,
administrations,
various kinds of tongues. 1 Cor 12

Hierarchy - laity and clergy - Laitians - Nico (victor) laos (people most likely G-ds people) laós (the root of the English term, "laity") – a people, particularly used of "the people of the Lord"

Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers.
Ephesians 4:11

"To the angel of the church in Ephesus write: The One who holds the seven stars in His right hand, the One who walks among the seven golden lampstands, says this: I know your deeds and your toil and perseverance, and that you cannot tolerate evil men, and you put to the test those who call themselves apostles, and they are not, and you found them to be false;........................................'Yet this you do have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
http://biblehub.com/revelation/2-7.htm'He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will grant to eat of the tree of life which is in the Paradise of God.'

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been to a foot washing and it was a spiritual experience that is both humbling and transcending of time. Given today's clothing, the need is gone, but I say from my experience, it is something that has to be experienced to explain itself. Praying for someone while washing their feet is more than just cleaning the feet.

Yes. I have experienced foot-washings as well. (I used to attend a Church of God (back in the 70s), and they definitely made (make?) use of the foot-washing ritual.) But I was responding to your specific question about it being a literal command.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
Yes. I have experienced foot-washings as well. (I used to attend a Church of God (back in the 70s), and they definitely made (make?) use of the foot-washing ritual.) But I was responding to your specific question about it being a literal command.
One vote for it is not to be obeyed.... if you so choose.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
One vote for it is not to be obeyed.... if you so choose.

Rom. 16:16a - if you take that as a literal command, your worship service may never get started because it doesn't say greet those you like, or those you know, it says "one another." So if you walk into a service with several hundred people attending, you and everyone else are gonna be pretty busy! (And have some really sore, puffy lips before it's all over, lol.)

(Nor did I say it was to be disobeyed....commands are obeyed/disobeyed. I said that I didn't see it as a literal command to be either obeyed or disobeyed.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟576,108.44
Faith
Messianic
Rom. 16:16a - if you take that as a literal command, your worship service may never get started because it doesn't say greet those you like, or those you know, it says "one another." So if you walk into a service with several hundred people attending, you and everyone else are gonna be pretty busy! (And have some really sore, puffy lips before it's all over, lol.)

(Nor did I say it was to be disobeyed....commands are obeyed/disobeyed. I said that I didn't see it as a literal command to be either obeyed or disobeyed.)
Now we are getting into the Halacha of how.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The practice of "washing the feet of the saints" (1 Timothy 5:10)

A personal letter. Do you agree with the context in which it's found? How old did people live back then? A woman not to be helped as a widow if she is under 60? or if she was not able to bear children?

I think anyway what he is saying here is in reference to hospitality.

Now show me where Paul washed someone else's feet, that I would like to see!

( and Paul was not one of the eleven there present when Yeshua did this) ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums