Secret Service agents protecting Biden’s granddaughter open fire when 3 people try to break into SUV

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secret Service agents protecting President Joe Biden’s granddaughter opened fire after three people tried to break into an unmarked Secret Service vehicle in the nation’s capital, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.
The agents, assigned to protect Naomi Biden, were out with her in the Georgetown neighborhood late Sunday night when they saw the three people breaking a window of the parked and unoccupied SUV, the official said. The official could not discuss details of the investigation publicly and spoke to the AP on Monday on the condition of anonymity.
One of the agents opened fire, but no one was struck by the gunfire, the Secret Service said in a statement. The three people were seen fleeing in a red car, and the Secret Service said it put out a regional bulletin to Metropolitan Police to be on the lookout for it.
Click-baity (shame, AP) as she wasn't in the car at the time and it appears to have been an attempted smash-and-grab vehicle burglary.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,338.00
Faith
Atheist

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secret Service agents protecting President Joe Biden’s granddaughter opened fire after three people tried to break into an unmarked Secret Service vehicle in the nation’s capital, a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.
The agents, assigned to protect Naomi Biden, were out with her in the Georgetown neighborhood late Sunday night when they saw the three people breaking a window of the parked and unoccupied SUV, the official said. The official could not discuss details of the investigation publicly and spoke to the AP on Monday on the condition of anonymity.
One of the agents opened fire, but no one was struck by the gunfire, the Secret Service said in a statement. The three people were seen fleeing in a red car, and the Secret Service said it put out a regional bulletin to Metropolitan Police to be on the lookout for it.
Click-baity (shame, AP) as she wasn't in the car at the time and it appears to have been an attempted smash-and-grab vehicle burglary.
Not only was she not in the car, the last quoted paragraph says ONE agent opened fire--not agent(s).

So I echo the OP's "shame on AP".

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,359.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
But it was a secret service SUV. Unmarked, granted. But if you're going to pick the wrong car to steal then one being used by the guys protecting the presidents family would have to be high on anyone's list. A tongue-in-cheek point I would have made in the report to make it somewhat more valid.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But it was a secret service SUV. Unmarked, granted. But if you're going to pick the wrong car to steal then one being used by the guys protecting the presidents family would have to be high on anyone's list. A tongue-in-cheek point I would have made in the report to make it somewhat more valid.
I feel like you'd have to be pretty dumb to try to steal a blacked-out Suburban/Yukon/Escalade in DC. Even if they're not marked, that type of vehicle screams "FEDS", and DC is crawling with them - plus it probably had government plates.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, I had to do a double take on the title after reading the article. The AP news editor should know better....

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like you'd have to be pretty dumb to try to steal a blacked-out Suburban/Yukon/Escalade in DC. Even if they're not marked, that type of vehicle screams "FEDS", and DC is crawling with them - plus it probably had government plates.
You would think...

Although "Darwin Awards" have been issued in the past.

I remember the story from about 10 years ago where 2 guys thought they had a great plan for robbing a police station.

And then there was the one with the guy who tried to rob a shooting range during business hours.

I would suggest that both of those bold attempts would, in theory, would be crazier than the prospect of a couple 2-3 people thinking they can take down 2-3 people inside an SUV and get whatever money/hardware they have inside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You would think...

Although "Darwin Awards" have been issued in the past.

I remember the story from about 10 years ago where 2 guys thought they had a great plan for robbing a police station.

And then there was the one with the guy who tried to rob a shooting range during business hours.
Oh, there are plenty of "pretty dumb" people in the world. Just the other day, I saw a story about a guy who hijacked his Lyft driver - who he had scheduled the ride with using his own Lyft account.

Upvote 0