Secondhand Smoke

J

jamesrwright3

Helo said:
Maybe not, but I know many people who have respratory problems that are greatly exacerbated by cigarette smoke, myself included.

I am not saying its the best thing in the world for you or it doesn't cause problems. All I am simply saying is that it isn't killing hundreds of thousands of people as the anti-smoking lobby would want you to believe.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ginny said:
Wow...I did not know smokers were now the majority.

Go figure. :scratch: Learn something new every day.

When compaired to the group that 'dies' when they inhale a whif of smoke, yes, smokers are the majority. Just as i suggested.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You guys have your reasons for not liking smoking, thats fine, don't like it. No one cares if you dispise smoking.
My ONLY point is that its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Everyone deals with all kinds of air pollution all day long. Outdoors smoking isn't even noticed unless on a busy city street. I don't know where you all live but the many places i have lived allow me to get away from smoking whenever i want.

I hope neither one of you guys are going outside this weekend. Make sure you don't sit in car traffic around all the hydrocarbons, oil, pollen, amonia, and sulfur in the air.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
When GOVERNMENT HEALTH AUTHORITIES require these warnings to be put on the package covering a large majority of the package....I think theres something to that.

And according to the CDC
CDC calculated national estimates of annual smoking-attributable mortality (SAM), years of potential life lost (YPLL), smoking-attributable medical expenditures (SAEs) for adults and infants, and productivity costs for adults. Results show that during 1995--1999, smoking caused approximately 440,000 premature deaths in the United States annually and approximately $157 billion in annual health-related economic losses.
(http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5114a2.htm)

Whats worse is that people are starting to smoke younger and younger as the years progress. I know of 12 people right off the bat of everyone I know that smokes and is under the age of 18.

Your honestly going to sit there and cop an adict's defense? "Well...its not THAT bad!" When kids as young as 12 and 13 start smoking your honestly going to sit there and tell me "its not that bad"? And that MAY have been the exception 5 years ago, but its becomming more and more of the standard as the years progress. (http://tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0127.pdf) Taken from a government website (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/smokingandyouth.html)

Smoking is EXTREMELY harmful to young people (http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/research_data/youth/ythsprt.htm)

Now how can you, in good conscience, sit there and tell people that "its not that bad"?

I am against smoking for religious, health, and plain common sense reasons. Friends of mine smoke, I hear them when Im around them hacking and coughing up grey mucus out of thier lungs. They cant run as far or as fast as they could BEFORE they smoked, theyre sick all the time and by the gods they STINK. Ugh, no offense but how smokers ever reproduce is WAY beyond me. How can yellow teeth and hacking like a cat with a hair-ball be attractive?

I hope neither one of you guys are going outside this weekend. Make sure you don't sit in car traffic around all the hydrocarbons, oil, pollen, amonia, and sulfur in the air.
All these are triggers to asthma and respratory problems and they do exacerbate such problems, but they are all un-avoidable environmental factors that, on thier own, can be tolerated and adjusted to. Cigarette smoke is NOT natural, and seeing as how a cigarette contains over 4000 chemicals, adjustment is not possible especially for those with lung problems. Traffic exaust and pollen dont come CLOSE to the level of harm that a cigarette does unless your sucking on the exaust pipe or shoving flowers up your nose.

Even someone who has smoked for years, thier body hasnt adjusted to the smoke. They constantly cough and hack up mucus from thier lungs, they develop cancer and emphysema, these are not signs that your body is adjusting to what its taking in.

Diseases linked to smoking tobacco cigarettes include:
  • lung cancer and other cancers
  • stroke
  • peripheral vascular disease
  • birth defects of pregnant smokers' offspring
  • Buerger's disease (thromboangiitis obliterans)
  • impotence
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema and chronic bronchitis in particular
  • More likely to develop cataracts that may cause blindness
Impotence and lung cancer! Oh yay! Gimmie some smokes!

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Tuffguy said:
You guys have your reasons for not liking smoking, thats fine, don't like it. No one cares if you dispise smoking.
My ONLY point is that its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Everyone deals with all kinds of air pollution all day long. Outdoors smoking isn't even noticed unless on a busy city street. I don't know where you all live but the many places i have lived allow me to get away from smoking whenever i want.

wow....just......wow. :eek:

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hmm..i thought we where talking about second hand smoke? Not the diseases that consistent smokers get.

I started smoking when i was 12. I have smoked (read no more then 1 pack a week) on and off since that time. I smoke when i drink. I never feel the urge to really have a smoke except when really stressed out or drinking socially with friends. I also work out 4-6 times per week. My last workout was a heavy leg and shoulder workout followed by a 7 min mile run.
I'm in fantastic shape. My heart rate during a fast run is 160-170. My resting heart rate is around 110-120. I'm the exception for the social smoker, there is no doubt about that. Most smokers smoke way more then i do and don't even work out. One could speculate that its not the smoke that is killing them but rather the lack of excercise and the junk food that normally goes along with a person that smokes. We'll probally never even know what smoking really does because normal healthy people who are active, just don't smoke. And those the do smoke often smoke in excess.

Upvote 0
We'll probally never even know what smoking really does because normal healthy people who are active, just don't smoke.
Because smoking is not a healthy activity, any half-brained doctor will tell you that.

Hmm..i thought we where talking about second hand smoke? Not the diseases that consistent smokers get.
We are, I was responding to your claim "Well its not that bad!"

Bottom line is, and research backs me on this, smoking is NOT good for you. Second hand or otherwise. And I think its selfish beyond belief to say "Well just dont be where people smoke." Why does your desire to smoke take precedence over MY right to keep breathing?

Upvote 0