Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 23:1-7 What does Matthew 23 mean to you? What did Yeshua mean when he said the hypocrites sit in Moses seat? Was Yeshua mocking the religious leaders or their instructions?
No one keeps the law successfully; it's hypocrisy to think so. Pride is engendered.

Upvote 0

Zosimos Eremitic

John 10:11
Apr 7, 2018
Meadow
✟8,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
My understanding is that he criticized their way of doing things. He believed that if you instill a love of God in the heart of a man that he would behave in a way which pleased God. Where as he criticized the priests as wearing clean and proper clothes, following the letter of the law, but that they were consumed by lust and sin in their heart. So basically that they were hypocrites because they just "went through the motions" but did not love God in their hearts, and were wicked.

Upvote 0

Zosimos Eremitic

Apr 7, 2018
Meadow
✟8,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
There are similar criticisms of many Catholics today. They do rituals and say their hail mary's and go about these procedures for repenting sin, but then go right back and do sin again. They begin to think that it's okay to sin, so long as I say my hail mary and confess to the priest everything will be fine. In the same way, they go through rituals and hold up the appearance of holiness, but they are not holy in their behavior or in their heart. It becomes about following rules and not about loving God.

Upvote 0

Zosimos Eremitic

Apr 7, 2018
Meadow
✟8,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Private
"Those who share our beliefs but do not attend a Messianic congregation and are in another denomination may post in this forum with the stipulation that they will not teach their Church doctrines here."

My apologies. I'm relatively new and must have overlooked this. I wasn't attempting to teach doctrine and I just assumed that was something that was regularly understood. I can see how that rule is necessary though. So I will try to refrain from overstepping myself. Thank you for your patience with me.

Reactions: Dreger
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heber Book List

Theologian [Applied Theology]
Jul 1, 2015
Whippingham, Isle of Wight, England
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In the ruins of a synagogue at Chorazin there is 'the Seat of Moses' - a stone block, with Aramaic on the back, and carved decorations, from which Torah would have been read. It is a copy, but the original can be seen in the Israel Museum.

It is not very big in the actual seating area so hopefully the readers will not have been too large!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There are similar criticisms of many Catholics today. They do rituals and say their hail mary's and go about these procedures for repenting sin, but then go right back and do sin again. They begin to think that it's okay to sin, so long as I say my hail mary and confess to the priest everything will be fine. In the same way, they go through rituals and hold up the appearance of holiness, but they are not holy in their behavior or in their heart. It becomes about following rules and not about loving God.

Why just Catholics? if you omit the Hail Mary part, and the priest, then I would say that there are a considerable number of Christians who do exactly the same in the Protestant congregations. It is unfair to say it about one group as if they are the only culpable sinners in the world :)

Upvote 0

ralliann

christian
Jun 27, 2007
✟202,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Matthew 23:1-7 What does Matthew 23 mean to you? What did Yeshua mean when he said the hypocrites sit in Moses seat? Was Yeshua mocking the religious leaders or their instructions?
Moses seat:
ordinances and laws, and shalt shew them the way wherein they must walk, and the work that they must do.
Ex 18:13 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses sat to judge the people: and the people stood by Moses from the morning unto the evening.
14 And when Moses’ father in law saw all that he did to the people, he said, What is this thing that thou doest to the people? why sittest thou thyself alone, and all the people stand by thee from morning unto even?
15 And Moses said unto his father in law, Because the people come unto me to enquire of God:
16 When they have a matter, they come unto me; and I judge between one and another, and I do make them know the statutes of God, and his laws.

Ex 18:21 Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens:
22 And let them judge the people at all seasons: and it shall be, that every great matter they shall bring unto thee, but every small matter they shall judge: so shall it be easier for thyself, and they shall bear the burden with thee.
23 If thou shalt do this thing, and God command thee so, then thou shalt be able to endure, and all this people shall also go to their place in peace.
24 So Moses hearkened to the voice of his

The causes to difficult for the lower courts:
De 17:8 If there arise a matter too hard for thee in judgment, between blood and blood, between plea and plea, and between stroke and stroke, being matters of controversy within thy gates: then shalt thou arise, and get thee up into the place which the LORD thy God shall choose;
9 And thou shalt come unto the priests the Levites, and unto the judge that shall be in those days, and enquire; and they shall shew thee the sentence of judgment:
10 And thou shalt do according to the sentence, which they of that place which the LORD shall choose shall shew thee; and thou shalt observe to do according to all that they inform thee:
11 According to the sentence of the law which they shall teach thee, and according to the judgment which they shall tell thee, thou shalt do: thou shalt not decline from the sentence which they shall shew thee, to the right hand, nor to the left.
12 And the man that will do presumptuously, and will not hearken unto the priest that standeth to minister there before the LORD thy God, or unto the judge, even that man shall die: and thou shalt put away the evil from Israel.

seems maybe Jesus was speaking of the dual role of being judges in the high court, vs being sectarian teachers? The priesthood tended to be Sadducee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not sure if the Seat of Moses is an actual thing or a metaphor for authority. Nevertheless, Jesus said his disciples were to do what the Scribes and Pharisees told them to do, though they were hypocrites. How much more so when they are NOT hypocrites.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Not sure if the Seat of Moses is an actual thing or a metaphor for authority. Nevertheless, Jesus said his disciples were to do what the Scribes and Pharisees told them to do, though they were hypocrites. How much more so when they are NOT hypocrites.

As in my post #13 - it is a tangible item.

Upvote 0

Heber Book List

Jul 1, 2015
✟132,416.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
But not universal. Has such a thing been found in other synagogues? Judaism has not retained this custom if it is genuine.

Well, Israel says it is: the original is still available.

I am not aware of other Seat(s) of Moses :).

I guess the Christian version would be the pope's throne or a bishop's seat.

Upvote 0