Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Mr. Avery,

It is far more important that you find a church than become entangled in theological arguments. hedrick is honest and forthright but not always correct or accurate.

hedrick incorrectly described Particular Baptists as placing emphasis on "making a decision" for Christ. It is true that we are saved by grace through faith but hedrick gave a very glib remark of what is actually believed. Not that hedrick is glib just his passing comment. It would be like saying the confessional doctrine of Perseverance of the Saints is the same as once saved always saved. On face value both are true but the P in TULIP is far deeper and more practical than OSAS. Paedobaptists place the same emphasis on faith but faith that is separate from the act performed on infants which leads to a dry "baptism" at confirmation. They seek to confirm baptism with a ceremonial that essentially asks if a "decision for Christ" has been made. This profession of faith allows them access to the Lord's Supper.

For the Baptist this seems weird. (Some might claim that Baptists practice baby dedications but I have yet to find a Particular Baptist church does perform these ceremonies.) It removes faith from the covenantal act. The disagreement stems from our understandings of the nature of the church. Baptists believe we are covenanted to Christ through faith. Paedobaptists believe the same but give baptism to all the physical dependence of believers without faith rather, faith of their parents. Don't be fooled, "making a decision for Christ" is still a requirement for adults seeking baptism in a Paedobaptist church, they just presume their children will be believers only seeking to discern it latter.

I've posted more than I wanted already. May God bless you as you seek to find a good church Mr. Avery, struggle over these issues with prayer and the scriptures seeking advice from the Elders of your local congregation.

Yours in the Lord,

jm
PS: This church was mentioned on the Puritan Board. Welcome to Harvest Presbyterian Church (PCA)
PPS: The liberal mainline churches use scripture removed from its historical moorings. This view doesn't really allow for scripture to be authoritative since it is viewed through whatever the current trend in modern scholarship happens to be. This is why I said hedrick beliefs were opposite from mine. see http://reformedaudio.org/audio/machen/Machen - Christianity & Liberalism.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

OK. Thanks for the info. I'll be visiting some of the church's and let God do the rest.

John 3:16

Upvote 0