this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you want to post your location? I'm sure we can find a good church for you to visit. (you could always send me a private message if you would prefer)

No problem. I'm in Christiana pa 17509. Any help would be awesome.

John 3:16

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Latta Memorial Presbyterian looks to be apart of the PC USA. If I'm not mistaken they tend to be liberal to very liberal but I could be wrong.

Are you near Lancaster? I found more options there.

I'm in Lancaster county about 1 hour from Lancaster city. Guess I'm more in west chester area

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The OP doesn't say what his beliefs are. West Chester looks to have several Presbyterian churches. Several seem to be PCUSA. One is PCA, Reformed Presbyterian Church.

Oh sorry guess that would be helpful. I'm recently been studying R.C. Sproul and Calvin. If that helps

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Latta Memorial Presbyterian looks to be apart of the PC USA. If I'm not mistaken they tend to be liberal to very liberal but I could be wrong.

Depends upon your definition. Most of our congregations aren't as liberal as the liberal forum here. But in the Northeast most also wouldn't hold strictly to TULIP and virtually all would ordain women. Someone who is looking for a church that holds fairly strictly to the Westminster standards should probably look elsewhere, though a few congregations are exceptions.

Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Depends upon your definition. Most of our congregations aren't as liberal as the liberal forum here. But in the Northeast most also wouldn't hold strictly to TULIP and virtually all would ordain women. Someone who is looking for a church that holds fairly strictly to the Westminster standards should probably look elsewhere, though a few congregations are exceptions.

I do find myself holding to TULIP and I admit I'm not much into women ordained but confess I'm not versed into the reason women can or should be ordained.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,124.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Mr. Avery,

hedrick is honest and forthright, but he and I are at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to Calvinism and Reformed theology.

That said; I would not recommend attending a liberal, mainline church especially one that denies the doctrines of grace which I consider essential because they touch upon the doctrine of God. I tried to post conservative, confessionally Reformed church groups on page one.

Are you a paedo or credo baptist?

j

Reactions: Raiyuu
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mr. Avery,

hedrick is honest and forthright, but he and I are at different ends of the spectrum when it comes to Calvinism and Reformed theology.

That said; I would not recommend attending a liberal, mainline church especially one that denies the doctrines of grace which I consider essential because they touch upon the doctrine of God. I tried to post conservative, confessionally Reformed church groups on page one.

Are you a paedo or credo baptist?

j

I will say paedo Baptist makes more sense to me so far. With that though I am still in a learning stage .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

You need to get out more :)

I'm part of the sola scriptura branch of liberal theology. The other major branch took away from the Enlightenment the idea that Scripture isn't usable as an authority. Hence they are guided by their general impression of what God wants. I have a couple of good friends who are like that. Then there are the folks for whom God seems to be some kind of metaphor. So really, the spectrum extends waaaay beyond me.

All are present in the PCUSA, but most of our members and officers use Scripture as authority. Just not the same way you do, because we interpret it in accordance with mainline scholarship. The PCUSA has a group that does internal surveys, so I have a reasonable sense for where our members and officers are theologically.

And the spectrum also extends beyond you to the right. As far as I know you're neither dominionist or hyper-Calvinist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I will say paedo Baptist makes more sense to me so far. With that though I am still in a learning stage .

Certainly for Reformed it does. Believers baptism makes perfect sense for groups that emphasize our "decision for Christ." But for those who think it's mostly Christ's decision for us, it seems odd. Reformed Baptist seems like a weird combination to me, though historically there have been some good ones.

By the way, could I ask some of the PCA types to comment on the thread on baptism in the Presbyterian group. Apparently there's a PCA church that thinks it's just fine to rebaptize someone who was baptized as an infant, because he no longer considers it meaningful. I'm kind of shocked, actually. I thought the point of being in the PCA was that you followed Westminster.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shawnavery

this space for rent
Sep 2, 2013
christiana PA
✟8,148.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Certainly for Reformed it does. Believers baptism makes perfect sense for groups that emphasize our "decision for Christ." But for those who think it's mostly Christ's decision for us, it seems odd. Reformed Baptist seems like a weird combination to me, though historically there have been some good ones.

By the way, could I ask some of the PCA types to comment on the thread on baptism in the Presbyterian group. Apparently there's a PCA church that thinks it's just fine to rebaptize someone who was baptized as an infant, because he no longer considers it meaningful. I'm kind of shocked, actually. I thought the point of being in the PCA was that you followed Westminster.

I would love to hear more on that myself

Upvote 0