Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The bipartisan spirit of vengeance and extremism now animating US politics threatens to turn America into the superpower version of those unhappy places where seeking high office can land you in prison.

One needn’t be a big fan of Kevin McCarthy to see the California Republican’s ouster as Speaker of the House of Representatives as a significant low point in recent U.S. politics. Unfortunately, there’s apparently more — much more — yet to come.

Consider the painful fact that a year before the election, the presidential race already shows signs of being the nastiest in living memory. Some Democrats talk seriously of using provisions of the 14th Amendment, originally aimed at office holders of the Confederate States, to keep former-President Donald Trump off the ballot. Not to be outdone, House Republicans have begun an impeachment probe with the goal of tarring President Biden.

Do I hear someone saying, “At least it can’t get any worse?” Maybe not, but I wouldn’t bet on it. The bipartisan spirit of vengeance and extremism now animating our politics threatens to turn America into the superpower version of those unhappy places where seeking high office can land you in prison.

However you look at it, our politics stands badly in need of an infusion of decency and idealism. And a help to that can be found in St. Thomas Aquinas and his treatise on kingship. Written in the 1260s at the request of the King of Cyprus, much that it says doesn’t apply to our present situation, but parts of it deserve thoughtful, even prayerful, reflection.

Continued below.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I quite frankly doubt that anything short of a civil war or a national cataclysm will bring decency back to US politics.

The two tribes of self-aggrandizing vaudevillians who currently squat in Washington and pretend to be "representatives of the people" have gone too far in their level of corruption to be turned around now.

• Agree
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I quite frankly doubt that anything short of a civil war or a national cataclysm will bring decency back to US politics.

The two tribes of self-aggrandizing vaudevillians who currently squat in Washington and pretend to be "representatives of the people" have gone too far in their level of corruption to be turned around now.

I have to agree, or else they would actually be doing something about things ...
things like our open borders, for instance.
:doh:

I do not understand why that situation was not stopped long ago.
Surely they can't all be in agreement with plans for a new world order?
And yet, no one is doing anything about it.
:scratch:

The reason has got to be corruption.
Sadly.

Upvote 0

longhair75

Searching once more
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2004
omaha
✟157,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The two parties have become both sides of the same worthless wooden nickel.

When you elect clowns you should not complain when you get a circus. Vote them all out, DEM, GOP and INDY. We need to start over from scratch and demand strict term limits

• Winner
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The two parties have become both sides of the same worthless wooden nickel.

When you elect clowns you should not complain when you get a circus. Vote them all out, DEM, GOP and INDY. We need to start over from scratch and demand strict term limits
I fully agree with you, 15,000%, but the same thing applies: they aren't going to simply permit themselves to be "voted out". They like the power; they like the money. They're not going to simply give all that up voluntarily and walk away from it. They will have to removed by force or by disaster.

They write the campaign laws; they control the election counts; plus who can vote and who can't. They manipulate the vote to make sure that they, and only they, will remain in office for the next hundred million years. The only way to remove them from office is through either rebellion and civil war, or if some titanic natural or man-made disaster strikes: a nuclear exchange, a third world war, an irreparable economic collapse, an asteroid strike, Yellowstone blowing its top, or something of similar magnitude.

Reactions: longhair75
Upvote 0