• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Search for Significance Book Study - January 14, 2011

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Identify the part of this chapter that stood out for you.

In particular, could you relate to any of the particular effects of the fear of failure found in this chapter?

I look forward to hearing your responses. I know this was a tough chapter, but you're doing so well. Don't give up now. :hug:

Upvote 0

edwardfsmith

Nov 11, 2011
wisconsin
✟8,040.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Discussion Questions:
In reading this first chapter, what stood out for you?

The examples stood out that people that seem normal and do have lives where they marry and have kids also can have these selfworth problems. It is hard to remember this sometimes.

I relate to the part when they said some times we hear the glib answer that you should just trust in the Lord and things will be ok….. UGH well if they do not feel ok to me… and they do not … now you are saying I am not trusting in the Lord enough so I am failing at that too…..
I SO RELATE with that not being a good answer.

I relate with the part that said each failure to provide love is another brick in the wall of separation.
I was given this book and I failed to honor my friend. It had become a brick of separation between us maybe it was the brick that brought the house down. I hope to gather the bricks and build a better foundation between us. I am not always going to be able to provide the “right” love that she needs at all times no matter how hard I try. I hope this book will guide me to know how to better build myself worth and feelings of significance and help me guide her to her own self worth if it is lacking.

Have you or are you experiencing the beliefs listed above?

I often believe I am unlovable. And that nobody will ever love me.
I often believe I will never be able to change enough to make a difference. I do feel like a failure and fear greatly I will always be a failure. And yes to the last one too, I think when people really know me they do not like me.

What did you think about the various emotions that David went through? Can you relate to David? Are you open to being honest with God about your feelings as David was?

Sometimes I am open with the Lord. I will not fear as much to be open now. In the past when I felt hurt and abandon by the Lord I guess I did feel afraid to talk to him about it, because my pain caused me to feel apart from the Lord or feel he was angered or disappointed with me or did not care as much. Or was powerless to help the likes of me. I will work now to be honest instead of being apart.

If your book has the workbook, did you read Ephesians 1:3-14 and list what God has done to you and for you? How do you feel about these truths?

God has marked me with the Holy Spirit; given me salvation and forgiveness thought Christ and blessed me with every spiritual blessing. He has adopted me as his son and allowed me to be blameless and holy in his sight.

When I read this I feel God loves me and that I am good enough for God as I am. There is no need to feel inadequate or afraid. I need to not let the word get me down so much and feel like I have no value. It is not true.

Also from the workbook - What difference would it make in your attitude, relationships, and goals if you grasped the reality that your worth is not condition (based on performance) but is based on the truth of the unconditional love, forgiveness and acceptance of God?

I can read this and agree with it and know that it is true. If I truly could live it I would know that there is no need to fear failure or not being perfect. Only God is perfect. His love is always there and he has given me more then enough time to live because through him there is eternal life. I do not need to fear mistakes. I no longer have to fear making a choice and taking a risk which is a big problem for me. SO OFTEN I DO NOTHING because I am afraid it might be the wrong thing. OR I AM AFRAID OF LIMITING POSSIBILITES BY GOING DOWN ONE PATH.
GODS LOVE IS IN ALL PATHS
I AM NEVER WRONG IN GODS EYES I AM HOLY AND BLAMELESS.
I NEED NOT FEAR DOING THE WRONG THING.
If I spend time loving a friend instead of reading the bible GOD is with me
If I spend time chatting with a friend instead of learning a skill, GOD is with me.
If I develop love for a special woman and am bound to her does GOD punish me for not loving all of his other women on earth the same???
NO he is happy and rejoices.
THERE IS NO WRONG PATH WITH GOD FOR HIS LOVE IS UNCONDITIONAL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Edward,

I'm so glad you posted. I can relate to your struggle of feeling unloveable... sometimes it rears its ugly head at moments of low emotions.

You are loveable - I don't know you, but I know that in Christ, we are loveable. In Christ we find that we are enough... and He quietly calls us to be more and more in Him. But it isn't pressure - it is gentle prodding and calling us to reach out to Him, to trust Him, and to focus on Him.

In our humanity, we struggle sometimes to see truth. I do pray that as you go through this book, that you will find you are growing and being strengthened in Christ. That you will begin to see yourself through His eyes.. and you will know how much you are loved.

I want to share a music video with you, that I love because it talks about that struggle to stand tall, and to be okay. It also shows the redemption of Christ.

Bob Carlisle - We Fall Down - YouTube

Upvote 0