Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From the 28 Basic Beliefs of the SDA

Seventh Day Adventist Basic Belief #27

The Millenium and the End of Sin”

“The Millenium is the thousand year reign of Christ with His saints in heaven between the first and second resurrections. During this time the wicked dead will be judged, the earth will be utterly desolate, without living human inhabitants, but occupied by Satan and his angels. At its close Christ with His saints and the Holy City will descend fro heaven to earth. The unrighteous dead will
Jeremiah 4:23-26 ; Ezekiel 28:18-19 ; Malachi 4:1
I Corinthians 6:2-3 ; Revelation 20 ; Revelation 21:1-5

End Quote

I am baffled by the SDA claim that God will give the earth to demons during the Millennium. The usual interpretation of the Millennium is that Jesus Christ will reign on earth during that time. Instead, the SDA say that Satan will reign on earth during the Millennium but won’t have any humans to tempt or possess.

The scriptures they cite are not much help. The words “Satan,” “devil” and “demon” do not appear in the books of Jeremiah, Ezekiel or Malachi. While the Basic Beliefs cite Malachi 4:1, if we keep reading we find:

“See, I will send you the prophet Elijah before that great and
dreadful day of the LORD comes.
He will turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the
hearts of the children to their fathers; or else I will come and
strike the land with a curse.”
Malachi 4:5-6 NIV

These are the last two verses in the Old Testament, and they point to the coming of Jesus Christ and His ministry.

The references to the New Testament don’t help much either. In I Corinthians 6: 2-3, Paul says that the saints will judge the world. I presume that this means that the saints will in some way assist Jesus in judging the world.

Revelation 20 and 21 contradict the SDA scenario instead of supporting it.

He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil,
or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.
Revelation 20:2 NIV

Revelation 20 says that Satan will be “bound,” as in tied up, or chained, for a thousand years. There is nothing about Satan having the run of the earth during that time.

Moreover, Satan will once more deceive mortals and gather them for war when the Millenium is over. This wouldn’t be possible if there were no mortal people on earth to deceive.

When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released
from his prison
and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of
the earth — Gog and Magog — to gather them for battle. In
number they are like the sand on the seashore.
They marched across the breadth of the earth and surrounded
the camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came
down from heaven and devoured them.
Revelation 20:7-9 NIV

For the SDA interpreation of these two chapters to work, Jesus would have to return, gather the righteous and take them to heaven. At the same time, Jesus would have to destroy or slay everyone who is unsaved. Then, after conquering the earth, Jesus would have to go back to heaven and leave the earth to the demons. This last point isn’t consistent with Satan being “bound.” None of this is spelled out in Revelation 20-21, or even consistent with it.

Link to 28 Basic Beliefs of the Seventh Day Adventist Church
https://szu.adventist.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/28_Beliefs.pdf

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
They also place the second resurrection just after the end of the thousand years so that's who satan goes to deceive except that means Jesus killed them at the second coming just to resurrect them and have them die a second time at Jerusalem then be resurrected a second time to be judged at the GWTJ.

There is one resurrection of the unsaved dead and it's after the failed attack on Jerusalem, at the GWTJ.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
this is something that needs to be reformed it is amazing they have this error, because Isaiah says that the sabbath is a sign of the 1000 years on earth and it is confirmed as a teaching by Barnabas.

Topical - Is Barnabas A Chiliast

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They also place the second resurrection just after the end of the thousand years so that's who satan goes to deceive except that means Jesus killed them at the second coming just to resurrect them and have them die a second time at Jerusalem then be resurrected a second time to be judged at the GWTJ.

There is one resurrection of the unsaved dead and it's after the failed attack on Jerusalem, at the GWTJ.
this is due to the fact that they teach that you have no soul and it can't go to heaven, so what do you do with the texts that say you go to heaven.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
the sda church teachs you do not have a soul you are a soul

Except we actually do have a soul:

1Th_5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Soul has three definitions.

1: the word soul is an old English term that could be used in place of the word "person" or "human being". Basically if you had a soul you could be called a soul.

2: The word soul can be a reference to the human body.

3: the word soul is also the spiritual part of human beings (it's moral and emotional aspect), and survives death and will wait for a physical body to inhabit again at the resurrection.

1Th_5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here we have all the parts that comprise a whole person:

body
soul
spirit

The soul here is definition 3.

1Pe_3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Here soul is speaking of all three, body soul and spirit together as a complete person. This would be a soul as in definition 1 and 2.

Human beings have a soul and a spirit and a body. Colloquially a person is a "soul" but a different type of soul than the soul within us.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Thanks for your help!
I will have to ask, what does GWTJ stand for?

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
this is due to the fact that they teach that you have no soul and it can't go to heaven, so what do you do with the texts that say you go to heaven.

The last time I said that the SDA church doesn't believe in souls or spirits separate from the body, a frequent SDA contributor implied that I made that up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Except we actually do have a soul:

Soul has three definitions.

1: the word soul is an old English term that could be used in place of the word "person" or "human being". Basically if you had a soul you could be called a soul.

2: The word soul can be a reference to the human body.

3: the word soul is also the spiritual part of human beings (it's moral and emotional aspect), and survives death and will wait for a physical body to inhabit again at the resurrection.

Here we have all the parts that comprise a whole person:

body
soul
spirit

The soul here is definition 3.

1Pe_3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Here soul is speaking of all three, body soul and spirit together as a complete person. This would be a soul as in definition 1 and 2.

Human beings have a soul and a spirit and a body. Colloquially a person is a "soul" but a different type of soul than the soul within us.

The need for air or breath allows for “soul” to be used in the sense of life. We find such phrases as “I took my life [nephesh] in my hands,” meaning I risked my life (Judges 12:3; Phil. 2:30); enemies “seek my life,” or attempt to kill me (Ps. 35:4; Matt. 2:20); “Your life [psuche] will be demanded from you” (Luke 12:20).

“Soul” does not designate a part of human nature independent of the body, but the totality of the person as a living being (Gen. 2:7). In fact, “soul” is another way of saying “person” or “human being.” The Lord said, “The soul [nephesh, person] who sins is the one who will die” (Eze. 8:4). The church must contend “as one man [psuche, person] for the faith” (Phil. 1:27).

The “soul,” as a human being, is fundamentally a self, an individual who can in fact die. “Soul” in the Old Testament refers not only to a living person (Gen. 2:7), but also to a dead person (Num. 5:2; Lev. 21:11).

Reactions: Terri Dactyl
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The last time I said that the SDA church doesn't believe in souls or spirits separate from the body, a frequent SDA contributor implied that I made that up.
no you did not as a person who grew up in the SDA chruch and hold a degree in SDA theology i can tell you it is common knowledge that the say "you don't have a soul, you are a soul" based on Gen 2:7

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟666,787.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The need for air or breath allows for “soul” to be used in the sense of life. We find such phrases as “I took my life [nephesh] in my hands,” meaning I risked my life (Judges 12:3; Phil. 2:30); enemies “seek my life,” or attempt to kill me (Ps. 35:4; Matt. 2:20); “Your life [psuche] will be demanded from you” (Luke 12:20).

“Soul” does not designate a part of human nature independent of the body, but the totality of the person as a living being (Gen. 2:7). In fact, “soul” is another way of saying “person” or “human being.” The Lord said, “The soul [nephesh, person] who sins is the one who will die” (Eze. 8:4). The church must contend “as one man [psuche, person] for the faith” (Phil. 1:27).

The “soul,” as a human being, is fundamentally a self, an individual who can in fact die. “Soul” in the Old Testament refers not only to a living person (Gen. 2:7), but also to a dead person (Num. 5:2; Lev. 21:11).

no you did not as a person who grew up in the SDA chruch and hold a degree in SDA theology i can tell you it is common knowledge that the say "you don't have a soul, you are a soul" based on Gen 2:7

What Is Your Soul, According to the Bible? - Adventist.org

Quote-Another way to look at this is that humans do not have a soul but are a soul

The Old Testament view isn’t the last word. The New Testament gives us a different view of the soul.

[Jesus says,]
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell . . .
Matthew 10:28 NIV

• Agree
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Old Testament view isn’t the last word. The New Testament gives us a different view of the soul.

[Jesus says,]
Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell . . .
Matthew 10:28 NIV
dale, you don't seem to understand we are in agreement with you. the SDA view is a problem and needs be reexamined.

• Agree
Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your help!
I will have to ask, what does GWTJ stand for?

Great white throne judgment:

Rev 20:11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

That's only one definition of soul. Soul has multiple definitions including something within a human body that will leave the body after death.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
dale, you don't seem to understand we are in agreement with you. the SDA view is a problem and needs be reexamined.

I am glad to meet a member of the SDA who is open to the possible use of the Septuagint and towards re-examining possible doctrinal errors. I would be interested to know, in another thread, what all you feel is in need of re-examination.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0