Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone, I just have a question about evaluating one's own moral culpability for sins committed. I sin a lot...it's not that I really want to sin...I hate it. Every time I seem to have won a battle with one vice, another surfaces and I am almost always worried that I'm in a state of mortal sin. I feel like I'm being scrupulous sometimes and to counterract the scruples I feel like I'm rationalizing. For example, nearly every sin against the sixth commandment is grave matter. I struggle with lustful thoughts a lot (count as grave matter "whoever looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart). Obviously temptation is not sin so I have been under the impression that as long as the thoughts aren't there wilfully there is no actual sin. The problem is I am not always sure where the line is. For example, tonight I had to watch a movie for a class I'm taking and there were quite a few sexual references and temptations. I didn't feel as though I was giving consent (I tried to fight of the thoughts), but I still felt wrong for watching it in the first place and not leaving the room. The other night I watched a movie with some people that I knew would have sexual references in it (although I didn't think they'd be as bad as they turned out to be) and I did leave at a convenient time, but I should have left earlier. It's really frustrating. Every Sunday I am wondering if I'm in a state of grace. I go to confession regularly, but it's still a battle. I don't want to receive Our Lord sacreligiously, but I also don't want to miss out on such a great grace. I'm sorry this is so long, but I was wondering if someone could give me any advice. I feel as though my intentions are usually pure, and I do not want to offend God...but I know I do.

Immaculate Mary, pray for us!

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
pax said:
So if I'm unsure as to whether or not I'm in a state of grace, what should I do? Abstain from communion and be on the safe side?

Confess to the priest your case of scrupulosity. If he deduces that it's not and you really are sinning he'll tell you. If he deduces that it's scruples he'll absolve you...then you can relinquish all fear. Love God....that will cover a multitude of sins.:hug:

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Shelb5 said:
part of mortal sin is knowledge.

I realize that which almsot makes me think I might be overreacting since a lot of times I may not realize a situation is grave matter until after it has happened. Mortal sin can't happen by accident, but I'm always worried that I might be rationalizing my behavior.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
pax said:
So if I'm unsure as to whether or not I'm in a state of grace, what should I do? Abstain from communion and be on the safe side?

St. Faustina, of Divine Mercy fame, said we should receive Communion if we have any doubt whether or not we are in a state of grace.

Personally, I know when I'm in a state of mortal sin. To commit a mortal sin, think, "I know this is a grave offense against God, but I'll do it anyway." No one commits mortal sin accidentally.

Upvote 0

Benedicta00

Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟40,563.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
pax said:
I realize that which almsot makes me think I might be overreacting since a lot of times I may not realize a situation is grave matter until after it has happened. Mortal sin can't happen by accident, but I'm always worried that I might be rationalizing my behavior.
I also go through the same turmoil before mass. It's freeing to realize that you sin and are a sinner, if you weren't you would have no need of even going to mass, Jesus would not have had to die. He came for the sinners not the righteous. They don’t need a doctor, you do and so do I. This is why he comes to us in communion and why he did not give this gift to the angles, they don’t need it we do, this is why we say “I am unworthy to receive you but say the word…” You go to mass to be forgiven, because you are weak not because you are perfect. Mortal sin is a different story altogether. If you really committed serious mortal sin, not just struggled with a grave matter, then I think you would know it for sure.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your confessor should be able to help you should you have reason to believe you are scrupulous. Should you have a case of being scrupulous (very painful indeed and yet I have heard that some of the saints have suffered from it at one time), the organization mentioned here http://mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupanon.htm can be a big help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

graysparrow

My life is for the kids who have it rough
Feb 6, 2005
Canary Islands
✟12,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
QuantaCura said:
St. Faustina, of Divine Mercy fame, said we should receive Communion if we have any doubt whether or not we are in a state of grace.

Personally, I know when I'm in a state of mortal sin. To commit a mortal sin, think, "I know this is a grave offense against God, but I'll do it anyway." No one commits mortal sin accidentally.

:clap:

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you guys for all the responses. They helped a lot. I finally decided that even though I didn't feel at peace when I was preparing for Mass that didn't necessarily mean I wasn't in a state of grace. I'll ask my confessor about this next time and see if he has any advice.

Thanks again and God bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.