Scripture reads "first day"

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Other than Shabbat, the name of the seventh day of the week, the Jewish calendar doesn't have names for the days of the week. The days of the week are simply known as first day, second day, third day, etc. Sometimes they are referred to more fully as First Day of the Sabbath, etc. Below is a list for those who are interested.

Hebrew Transliteration English
yom_rishon.gif
Yom Rishon First Day (Sunday)
yom_sheini.gif
Yom Sheini Second Day (Monday)
yom_shlishi.gif
Yom Shlishi Third Day (Tuesday)
yom_rvii.gif
Yom R'vi'i Fourth Day (Wednesday)
yom_chamishi.gif
Yom Chamishi Fifth Day (Thursday)
yom_shishi.gif
Yom Shishi Sixth Day (Friday)
yom_shabbat.gif
Yom Shabbat Sabbath Day (Saturday)
Judaism 101: Jewish Calendar
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+20&version=KJV
Matthew 28:1
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Mark 16:2
And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mark 16:9
Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Numbers 28:26
Also in the day of the firstfruits, when ye bring a new meat offering unto the Lord, after your weeks be out, ye shall have an holy convocation; ye shall do no servile work:

John 20:1
The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
I
John 20:19
Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Acts 20:7
And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

1 Corinthians 16:2
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

The "first day of the week" was never called The Sabbath.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
1 Corinthians 16:2
Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

The translation you posted is all messed up. I looked at it because it appeared that Paul was saying that they wouldn't gather on the first day. In fact it seems that Paul is saying don't collect money on the Sabbath.

(CLV) 1Co 16:2
On one of the sabbaths let each of you lay aside by himself in store that in which he should be prospered, that no collections may be occurring then, whenever I may come.

σαββατων
sabbatOn
SABBATH Hebrew CEASE, cessation
G4521

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Acts 20:7
And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

Wow! Here's another one!

(CLV) Ac 20:7
Now on one of the sabbaths, at our having gathered to break bread, Paul argued with them, being about to be off on the morrow. Besides, he prolonged the word unto midnight.

σαββατων
sabbatOn
G4521

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
John 20:1
The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Come to think of it, I knew about this one:

(CLV) Jn 20:1
Now, on one of the sabbaths, Miriam Magdalene is coming to the tomb in the morning, there being still darkness, and is observing the stone taken away from the door of the tomb.

σαββατων
sabbatOn
G4521

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,099,787.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Matthew 28:1
In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Here it gets interesting:

(CLV) Mt 28:1
Now it is the evening of the sabbaths. At the lighting up into one of the sabbaths came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to behold the sepulcher.

Both cases use the same word:

σαββατων
sabbatOn
G4521

This demonstrates, that whoever wrote this in Greek, whenever that might have been, at that time, this person referred to Mary coming to the tomb, on a Sabbath right behind another Sabbath.

I would assume that this is the first day of the week; as from my understanding of Leviticus 23, Yom Habikkurim follows the first weekly Shabbat after the 15th.

I find it interesting that the translators seem to have obscured this Moed.

Upvote 0