Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Our kids are part of an AWANA program. The way I handle it is taking the verses from their books and printing off what I think they can handle in a week. That paper goes on the fridge. The child reads his/her paper once per day. At the end of the week, they can generally say all the verses . . . and they remember them!

Btw, my kids are 8.5 and 6 years old . . . the programs start at 2 or 3 yo.

RAchel

Upvote 0

Stan53

Dec 6, 2005
Victoria
✟16,411.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do any parents here have their kids memorizing scripture?
Yes.
How do you do it at home - a certain amount of time for each new verse? A reward system? :confused: Any info would be helpful. Thanks. :)
We pick verses at random, but short, and go through it each day until the child remembers the verse. No, we don't do rewards. Learning the verse is reward enough.
We would try to remember a verse every 2 weeks. Any more than that and our child forgets it.
Any Bible will do. KJV is good but. NIV is good, but check the translation against KJV for accuracy.
Make it fun. If it starts to be hard work or you gotta nag, then quit while yer in front.

Upvote 0

selfintercession

Contributor
Jan 2, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟24,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
I've never heard of this before. May I ask what the goal is? It's always good to know the Scriptures, but I guess I'm wondering why memorise the verse as well as teach the stories/points? Thanks!

I was going to ask that too... but can I also ask how old your kids are?

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I try to make sure my kids (as well as the kids in my AWANA group) understand the Scripture they're memorizing. The reason for this is twofold:
1. If you understand it, the verse is easier to remember.
2. If you memorize the verse but have no understanding of the meaning, you might as well be memorizing it in Latin . . . it has no impact on your life.

Rachel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hadassah

May 22, 2006
Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I remember there were times (VBS, Sunday School class etc) that we were required to memorize scripture. We had a long passage one year, and my mom posted it directly across from the toilet (great place mom.... unsure how I feel about that right now...) and also in prominent places at home (right at the kitchen cabinet where you'd see it while washing dishes, at the Bathroom mirror...).

Between reading it over and over and reading it out loud, we eventually got it memorized. Sadly I couldn't tell you know what it was that we had to memorize... I have had a lot of health difficulties since then, and one of them (Celiac) affects how I remember things from a long time ago (there are a lot of missing spots) because we didn't catch it fast enough.

I do remember on occasion passages we had to memorize, and then there are others that I remember just because we tend to read or hear them very often.

I always was impressed to hear stories of the people behind the Iron Curtain that had only one bible to share between their community and taking turns memorizing the entire book... or the fact that a child going on to Bar/Bat Mitzvah age is expected to recall the entire Torah. I can't imagine committing all of that to memory and have someone ask "hey, in Parasha _______ what does it say?" and recall 3-4 chapters of Scripture... it's totally impressive and my mind just can't wrap around that right now.

For us, the incentive was to internalize it more, and when one hits hard spots in life, having recall of the promises and commands in Scripture. You never know if there will be a time one can't have a Bible and you need to have it memorized... it's good exercise for the mind also.

Upvote 0

Robinsegg

SuperMod L's
Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Near the Mississippi
✟63,126.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unless of course you understand Latin ;)

But why try to memorize the Bible in the first place? Does that kind of emphasis not take away from the meaning itself if the kids are focusing so hard on the words? Honest question by the way :)
In AWANA clubs, the idea is to "hide God's word in our hearts", as the Scripture says (Psalm 119, yes, my daughter is learning that particular verse, just now :D) As an AWANA teacher, I try to make sure the words make sense. As a parent, I am involved enough to use the Scripture I know my children are familiar with and apply it to their lives.

For instance, James 2:10 says "For if anyone keeps the whole law and stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it." I can use that to help my children see that their sin, no matter how big or small, effects their relationship with God and needs to be resolved.

I hope that answers your question :)

R

Upvote 0

Scottish Joy

Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟9,185.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Awana veteran here! Awanas was really fun, and I did end up with a lot of verses memorized as a result of it. We used to round up all the kids around the neighborhood & take em, and they enjoyed it too.

Does anyone else use verses set to music as an aid to memorization? That's what my mom did for us growing up, and I think it worked the best! We used to have tapes of passages of scripture set to upbeat music that we'd play in the van, and we loved it.

LOL in retrospect, I'll bet it was some crazy 80's music that they set it to... I'd love to find those tapes and listen to them again! :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums