Scientific Proof For The Existence of God/ Heaven

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
After I type this post I'm going to make a cup of coffee. Now I have to wonder if I've actually made the decision to have coffee, or whether a wave function is forcing the decision on me, because another pre-existing "me" decided not to have coffee, or to have tea, lol. I have to wonder if I'm the brancher or the branchee. The branchee, the new thing created ex nihilo, seems to get created only to obey the wave function in a given instance at least, so that obviously impinges on his/her will.
It's not that complicated, it's just a slightly different view. You made the decision to have coffee, nothing 'forces' you to do anything, and 'you's in other branches have no influence - they can't influence you and you can't influence them; you're effectively in separate worlds. There's no creation ex-nihilo - the wavefunction branches; a (crude) analogy might be the way water waves behave; when you wiggle your finger in a container full of water, waves move across the surface and can reflect off the side, and the reflected waves can pass back across the waves coming from your finger, so you now have two slightly different sets of waves moving across the surface, but you haven't added anything or created anything.

Whether you obey the wavefunction or it obeys you is moot - you are (a part of) the wavefunction; in more familiar terms, you're made of atoms & molecules, so atoms & molecules dictate what you are able to do, and you dictate what your atoms & molecules will do within those limits.

I used a macro example of me making coffee just for simplicity, because I'm still foggy on when and how a universe splitting occurs, as pertains to everyday "macro" objects. Sub-atomic particles are used in each of the five senses which I use to experience the world, or just to exist for that matter, so I'm really not clear what's going on with that.
Branching only occurs when a quantum superposition decoheres into the environment. Macro-scale objects are too big and 'noisy' (their atoms & molecules are continually interacting with themselves and the environment) to have macro-scale superpositions, they occur among particles at atomic or sub-atomic level and only last tiny fractions of a second.

And, yes, these sub-atomic activities can cause branching of the wavefunction, but up at macro-scale we don't notice any of that; we're made up of all those micro-scale events occurring - the classical world we're used to is emergent from all that activity. Just as temperature and pressure are quite real to us and follow clear and simple laws (e.g. Boyles Law) yet are the emergent results of trillions of atoms and molecules vibrating or moving around at certain velocities; we don't need to get involved in those details - unless we're curious about how our macro-scale experience comes about.

Given that the emergent macro-scale (classical) world has its own 'higher-level' physical laws and rules, i.e. we talk about temperatures and pressures, not the vibrations and velocities of billions of atoms & molecules, it doesn't make sense to mix the two scales and their concepts and descriptive languages - temperature and pressure are meaningless at the level of the micro-scale (individual atoms & molecules), and what individual atoms & molecules are doing is meaningless when dealing with the macro-scale.

Just as we've known for a long time that we're made up of countless quintillions of subatomic particles doing their thing, forming atoms, and so-on, without it being noticeable or relevant to our everyday lives, we now know those particles and how they interact are far more subtle things than we thought.

It's simply the ability of the mind to freely choose among available options of thought and action, subject to physical constraints of course. I believe it's supernatural. It's one of the reasons I'm a Christian. I realized free will is impossible using only the physics of nature, yet we all know we have it. It's as plain as the nose on your face.
That doesn't sound very different from my definition, which is being able to experience making choices according to my preferences, wants, needs, desires, etc., without feeling coerced or constrained (except by constraints I willingly accept, e.g. various social & moral constraints).

By making a choice, I mean perceiving potential options for action, evaluating the consequences of those options, and weighing those consequences in terms of my preferences, wants, needs, desires, etc., and (optionally) acting to realise the option that best matches those criteria. I think that all that happens without any supernatural involvement.

How would you say your idea of free will differs from mine in practice, i.e. in terms of what you experience, and what makes you think that it's impossible using only the physics of nature, so the supernatural is required?

• Informative
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not that complicated, it's just a slightly different view. You made the decision to have coffee, nothing 'forces' you to do anything, and 'you's in other branches have no influence - they can't influence you and you can't influence them; you're effectively in separate worlds. There's no creation ex-nihilo - the wavefunction branches; a (crude) analogy might be the way water waves behave; when you wiggle your finger in a container full of water, waves move across the surface and can reflect off the side, and the reflected waves can pass back across the waves coming from your finger, so you now have two slightly different sets of waves moving across the surface, but you haven't added anything or created anything.

Whether you obey the wavefunction or it obeys you is moot - you are (a part of) the wavefunction; in more familiar terms, you're made of atoms & molecules, so atoms & molecules dictate what you are able to do, and you dictate what your atoms & molecules will do within those limits.
But waves in water are analogous only to the pre-decoherence state, aren't they?

I realize "branching" is a metaphor here, but if it's a good metaphor, then a branch has to branch from something which exists before it. A sapling which grows to be a 30 foot tree will produce branches which didn't exist previously. I heard another physicist, whose name escapes me, say that when a scientist fires an electron in a lab, and notes where it landed, then at that moment there are two of him (another him will see the electron land in a different location). So I ask "what if he hadn't fired the electron?" If he hadn't fired it, that second him would not have come to exist. So how can you say the second him didn't newly come into existence if he does fire it?

(Fire it or shoot it or whatever. I don't the terminology for what's being done, lol. By the way, are you a physicist, or do you just know physics?)
And, yes, these sub-atomic activities can cause branching of the wavefunction, but up at macro-scale we don't notice any of that; we're made up of all those micro-scale events occurring - the classical world we're used to is emergent from all that activity.
Okay, we don't know it's going on. But when I look at an apple for a moment, how many trillions (?) of photons are interacting with the apple and I? Is the universe branching a branch for each photon?
That doesn't sound very different from my definition, which is being able to experience making choices according to my preferences, wants, needs, desires, etc., without feeling coerced or constrained (except by constraints I willingly accept, e.g. various social & moral constraints).

By making a choice, I mean perceiving potential options for action, evaluating the consequences of those options, and weighing those consequences in terms of my preferences, wants, needs, desires, etc., and (optionally) acting to realise the option that best matches those criteria. I think that all that happens without any supernatural involvement.

How would you say your idea of free will differs from mine in practice, i.e. in terms of what you experience,...
I'm not accusing you of trying to be subtle, and I could be completely wrong, but here's how I could possibly read what you said: instead of "being able to make choices" you said "being able to experience making choices". Someone could read that as saying "I don't actually make choices, but I experience the feeling that I do", i.e., will is really illusion. I wouldn't agree with that, but I don't know if that's what you meant.

Also, when you say "making choices according to my preferences, wants, etc." By "according to", do you mean that your preferences, wants, etc. dictate what your decisions will be?
...and what makes you think that it's impossible using only the physics of nature, so the supernatural is required?
You've probably heard the argument before. If the brain is the "deciding machine", if thoughts and decisions are caused by particles of the brain which obey physical laws and are not conscious, then thoughts are caused by physical cause-and-effect, not by reason. One specific thought would follow another because it had to; and thus a specific decision or action would have to follow from that (in some cases - not every thought involves a decision about a future action). And I'm sure you'll know what I mean when I point out that we humans can do something extraordinarily odd - we can think about our thoughts. How can that be? There has to be an "I", a "me", somehow, to some extent, standing outside of the natural laws in order to analyze, assess, and exercise control of what the particles are doing.

A few years ago, Daniel Dennett wrote a book with a brief bit where, depending how you read it I think, either asserts or strongly implies that consciousness itself is an illusion. He wasn't the first person in history to say that, but I heard some people in academia were stunned by it. I wasn't. I think that's the ultimate conclusion you have to come to if you wish to deny free will.

By the way, on a pedantic note, I've always felt the term "free will" is redundant. You either have will or not. To have a will that's not free is to have no will. State of the art chess playing AI is programmed to "know" how to play chess and win, and even how to teach itself better, but it would be ludicrous to speak of the software as having a will to win. Unless they're conscious, I'm pretty sure electrons don't care about checkmating us humans. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
... Whether you obey the wavefunction or it obeys you is moot - you are (a part of) the wavefunction; in more familiar terms, you're made of atoms & molecules, so atoms & molecules dictate what you are able to do, and you dictate what your atoms & molecules will do within those limits.
Why is 'obediance' wrt the wavefunction 'moot' .. and yet 'dictates' wrt atoms and molecules' is not?

There appears to be inconsistency here .. Why? .. What makes the apparent difference?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. But waves in water are analogous only to the pre-decoherence state, aren't they?

I realize "branching" is a metaphor here, ..
'Waves', 'decoherence' and 'branching', regardless of what they are being applied, are all mind concepts (or mind models) visualised for the purposes of explaining behaviors. So is everything else science tests including atoms, molecules and the minds that conceived them (there is abundant objective evidence supporting this .. its not just my say-so). There is no objective evidence to the contrary. Believing that there is .. is, itself, just another belief.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
'Waves', 'decoherence' and 'branching', regardless of what they are being applied, are all mind concepts (or mind models) visualised for the purposes of explaining behaviors. So is everything else science tests including atoms, molecules and the minds that conceived them (there is abundant objective evidence supporting this .. its not just my say-so). There is no objective evidence to the contrary. Believing that there is .. is, itself, just another belief.
Maybe they are all mind concepts, but in some sense all words are; they're all symbols. But there aren't many alternative ways available for thinking about and talking about ideas.

If I weren't such a horrible dancer, I suppose I could try interpretative dance. :D

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Maybe they are all mind concepts, but in some sense all words are; they're all symbols.
I would say there is objective evidence for words being human tools for conveying our meanings (eg: we don't hear/see other species using them). Words differ across human populations but we all seem to share in the evidently in-common meanings behind them (ie: translations display consistency). Those meanings are how we conceptualise our perceptions though.

Chesterton said:
But there aren't many alternative ways available for thinking about and talking about ideas.
There are other ways to communicate concepts/ideas (even emotions) .. eg: artists paint, musicians make sounds, chefs make tastes, dancers move, illusionists create illusions, etc.
Scientists invent models from other already tested concepts .. the more tested out they are, the more objectively real they are held as being amongst scientific thinkers ... eg: the QM wavefunction.

Chesterton said:
If I weren't such a horrible dancer, I suppose I could try interpretative dance. :D
I think you could still communicate your own interpretations/ideas/concepts .. perhaps not entirely 'true' to what you'd like .. Its not too much different for scientists, except they prefer 'consistency' but 'truth' is never 'tested out' .. so it doesn't feature in science.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
To keep things simple and shorten the posts, I'll split this into a post on physics and a post on free will.
But waves in water are analogous only to the pre-decoherence state, aren't they?
It was only meant as an example of how one set of waves can become two or more sets of very similar waves without creation-ex nihilo... The problem with quantum effects is that there are no good classical analogies, which is what makes them hard to visualise.

I realize "branching" is a metaphor here, but if it's a good metaphor, then a branch has to branch from something which exists before it. A sapling which grows to be a 30 foot tree will produce branches which didn't exist previously. I heard another physicist, whose name escapes me, say that when a scientist fires an electron in a lab, and notes where it landed, then at that moment there are two of him (another him will see the electron land in a different location). So I ask "what if he hadn't fired the electron?" If he hadn't fired it, that second him would not have come to exist. So how can you say the second him didn't newly come into existence if he does fire it?
I was trying to make a distinction between splitting or dividing something and making a separate copy of it. For example, when a cell divides, producing two daughter cells, there isn't really an original cell and a newly created cell - the original cell has divided into two (or more); it may or may not be the case that one daughter cell happens to be identical to the parent cell. That's what I mean by saying it's not creation ex nihilo.

By the way, are you a physicist, or do you just know physics?)
I'm a biologist with an interest in physics.

Okay, we don't know it's going on. But when I look at an apple for a moment, how many trillions (?) of photons are interacting with the apple and I? Is the universe branching a branch for each photon?
As I understand it, if a photon has more than one amplitude in the wavefunction for where it may be detected, its detection will branch the wavefunction accordingly.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm not accusing you of trying to be subtle, and I could be completely wrong, but here's how I could possibly read what you said: instead of "being able to make choices" you said "being able to experience making choices". Someone could read that as saying "I don't actually make choices, but I experience the feeling that I do", i.e., will is really illusion. I wouldn't agree with that, but I don't know if that's what you meant.
Yes; I think it's a question of semantics, i.e. what do we mean by 'choice'? Hard determinists say that if what we do is determined by prior events, then we don't really have or make any choices because the outcome is inevitable; so in that view, the concept of 'choice' is meaningless or illusory.

But in practice we do experience the process of making choices that I described, so I think it's sensible to recognise that, at least subjectively, we do make choices - i.e. we don't know what option we'll select until we've done the evaluation, and we can't select an option until we've done the evaluation (unless we count selecting randomly as choice). So it seems to me that making a choice means going through that process, deterministic or not.

Also, when you say "making choices according to my preferences, wants, etc." By "according to", do you mean that your preferences, wants, etc. dictate what your decisions will be?
Yes; those are the factors that I use to establish my goals, and my choices are attempts to realise those goals. It's actually a bit more complicated than that - I often have conflicting preferences, wants, needs, etc., which lead to conflicting goals, e.g. when offered a doughnut - I'm hungry so I want to eat the doughnut; but I want to lose weight, so I don't want to eat it; but I really like doughnuts, so I want to eat it; but I don't want to appear greedy, so I don't want to eat it; but I don't want to offend the person offering it... etc. Harry Frankfurt made an interesting analysis of free will in respect of this kind of thing.

You've probably heard the argument before. If the brain is the "deciding machine", if thoughts and decisions are caused by particles of the brain which obey physical laws and are not conscious, then thoughts are caused by physical cause-and-effect, not by reason. One specific thought would follow another because it had to; and thus a specific decision or action would have to follow from that (in some cases - not every thought involves a decision about a future action).
But reasoning is generally defined as involving logical processes in various ways, e.g. analysing available information and coming to some rational or logical conclusion about it.

What parts of reasoning do you feel are not amenable to physical cause-effect explanation; can you give any examples?

And I'm sure you'll know what I mean when I point out that we humans can do something extraordinarily odd - we can think about our thoughts. How can that be? There has to be an "I", a "me", somehow, to some extent, standing outside of the natural laws in order to analyze, assess, and exercise control of what the particles are doing.
Thinking about our thoughts and introspection is metacognition, and requires that we keep a short-term record of our thought processing and can use that record as input for the metacognitive self - also called the executive self. This is facilitated by the bulk of everyday thinking being delegated to unconscious processes that provide rapid responses using associative memory, simple heuristics, etc. The outputs of these unconscious processes, and the conscious response to them, remain available for a short period and provide a means of tracing recent activity.

For an entertaining account of these two kinds of thinking ('System 1' - involuntary, fast, highly parallel, effortless; and 'System 2' - conscious, slow, sequential, effortful), how they interact, and the experimental basis for the distinction, I recommend Daniel Kahneman's book 'Thinking, Fast and Slow', it's an eye-opener, full of little tests and experiments you can do on yourself.

The metacognitive self is the part of the overall construct of the sense of self that provides an explicit self-referring 'I'. The other components of the sense of self include: a perspective or viewpoint (the body, or 'behind the eyes'); ownership (the body and brain and their contents belong to 'me'); agency (the sense that 'I' can control actions of the body to influence the world); and feelings (emotions and bodily sensations). Under certain circumstances, each of these can be disrupted with corresponding effects on the sense of self. For interesting (though slightly technical) analysis of this and the neuroscience behind it, I recommend Antonio Damasio's book, 'Self Comes To Mind'.

A few years ago, Daniel Dennett wrote a book with a brief bit where, depending how you read it I think, either asserts or strongly implies that consciousness itself is an illusion. He wasn't the first person in history to say that, but I heard some people in academia were stunned by it. I wasn't. I think that's the ultimate conclusion you have to come to if you wish to deny free will.
Yes, I like a lot of what Dennett says, but I don't think this is helpful. Far better to say that consciousness is not what (how?) it subjectively seems to be. This may be what he means by 'illusion', but it gives the strong impression that he's saying it doesn't really exist, and again, it seems to me that subjective experience tells us that we are (often) conscious, and the real question is what is going on to cause this experience.

A lot of the processes and mechanisms that contribute to consciousness have been discovered, but none seem to be essential (apart from the obvious, like wakefulness). The essence of consciousness has been described as a basic awareness of being, i.e. that there is something it is like to be a particular entity (see Thomas Nagel's famous paper 'What is it Like to be a Bat?'). The fundamental question of why there is something it is like to be a particular entity remains unanswered, although there are a number of promising ideas.

The problem is that it's explicitly subjective, so objective descriptions & explanations can only ever be correlative or analogous; i.e. by analysing brain function, it may be theroetically possible to design a conscious system, but although it may give all the right indications, we can't know it's conscious without being such a system; we ultimately have to judge its (degree of) consciousness by its behaviour, as we do with other creatures (this just reminded me of the recent chimp video).

By the way, on a pedantic note, I've always felt the term "free will" is redundant. You either have will or not. To have a will that's not free is to have no will.
Yes, I agree that it's an ill-defined term. Both 'free' and 'will' are open to multiple interpretations. But it does imply a distinction between freedom and will, so presumably it means that 'will' is what drives voluntary agency whether the outcome is desired or not, e.g. when mugged, you exercise your will to hand over your money, but you do it 'unwillingly', i.e. an equivocation between will as voluntary agency and will as desired agency.

State of the art chess playing AI is programmed to "know" how to play chess and win, and even how to teach itself better, but it would be ludicrous to speak of the software as having a will to win. Unless they're conscious, I'm pretty sure electrons don't care about checkmating us humans. :)
Yes, I don't think AIs can be considered to have a 'will to' anything until they have the equivalent of feelings (though not necessarily explicit emotions) to provide them with the drive to develop and pursue goals. That would be an awful lot of unnecessary extra baggage for an AI to have - unless it was intended to be an adaptive general-purpose system, and the only justification I can think of for spending the time and resource on developing something like that would be for an autonomous planetary explorer... Then it really could send back excited Tweets about its discoveries that weren't concocted by some PR geek ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Why is 'obediance' wrt the wavefunction 'moot' .. and yet 'dictates' wrt atoms and molecules' is not?

There appears to be inconsistency here .. Why? .. What makes the apparent difference?
It's just another way of saying the same thing - it's moot whether the atoms dictate what you do or whether you dictate what they do - you are atoms, so you can see it both ways.

I see the debate about whether there is top-down causality or bottom-up causality the same way. In a simple case like the Conway's Game of Life cellular automaton, it's easy to see that the patterns on the cell grid are generated by the iterative rules, bottom-up fashion, but you can't make GoL do anything interesting, like emulating itself, or emulating a universal Turing machine, without setting up the appropriate patterns first, so there's a strong sense of top-down causality, i.e. if it wasn't for (high-level) pattern X interacting with (high-level) pattern Y, the (low-level) cells in area Z wouldn't switch states.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I would say there is objective evidence for words being human tools for conveying our meanings (eg: we don't hear/see other species using them). Words differ across human populations but we all seem to share in the evidently in-common meanings behind them (ie: translations display consistency). Those meanings are how we conceptualise our perceptions though.

There are other ways to communicate concepts/ideas (even emotions) .. eg: artists paint, musicians make sounds, chefs make tastes, dancers move, illusionists create illusions, etc.
Scientists invent models from other already tested concepts .. the more tested out they are, the more objectively real they are held as being amongst scientific thinkers ... eg: the QM wavefunction.

I think you could still communicate your own interpretations/ideas/concepts .. perhaps not entirely 'true' to what you'd like .. Its not too much different for scientists, except they prefer 'consistency' but 'truth' is never 'tested out' .. so it doesn't feature in science.
Alright, I got a few of my closest friends to help demonstrate the wave function non-verbally.

Think of the implications. Given enough probabilities, these people could have generated a parallel universe where soccer isn't boring!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to make a distinction between splitting or dividing something and making a separate copy of it. For example, when a cell divides, producing two daughter cells, there isn't really an original cell and a newly created cell - the original cell has divided into two (or more); it may or may not be the case that one daughter cell happens to be identical to the parent cell. That's what I mean by saying it's not creation ex nihilo.
Ah ok, that's a different picture for me. If I could manage to view reality as information, as with DNA, I can see our universe splitting and both results have World War II, and everything else, in their history and present.

I could attack the analogy but I won't because I would only be attacking the analogy, and not the actual topic of MWI. I appreciate that you're doing a good job trying to explain stuff, but as you said above, there are probably no good analogies. So strange that our experienced reality, and the fundamental reality which gives rise to it, seem to be like apples and oranges, or like apples and something we've never encountered.
As I understand it, if a photon has more than one amplitude in the wavefunction for where it may be detected, its detection will branch the wavefunction accordingly.
Oi. It should be called the Way Too Many Worlds interpretation.

On a side note, Carroll has complained that, basically, the "shut up and calculate" folks are really in control of physics. I don't know if he's talking about America or worldwide, but he says they discourage any work or talk about interpretation of QM, to the extent that it can even be damaging to a physicist's career if he tries to talk about what it all means. I find that both humorous and a little disappointing. What we call "science" was once called "natural philosopy" after all.

As for your other post on free will, it's got a lot of linked info and I want to peruse it all so I don't miss anything possibly important or interesting, so I'll get back to you on that when I can.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Ah ok, that's a different picture for me. If I could manage to view reality as information, as with DNA, I can see our universe splitting and both results have World War II, and everything else, in their history and present.
Both versions would share a common history, in as much as they're both the result of it.

So strange that our experienced reality, and the fundamental reality which gives rise to it, seem to be like apples and oranges, or like apples and something we've never encountered.
Indeed, and that's true whichever QM interpretation you prefer.

... Carroll has complained that, basically, the "shut up and calculate" folks are really in control of physics. I don't know if he's talking about America or worldwide, but he says they discourage any work or talk about interpretation of QM, to the extent that it can even be damaging to a physicist's career if he tries to talk about what it all means. I find that both humorous and a little disappointing. What we call "science" was once called "natural philosopy" after all.
Yes, but both viewpoints are understandable; the quantum formalism works, and many scientists feel they'll have more success using it than figuring out what's behind it. The scientific community tends to be somewhat conservative. Some don't want to be associated with the kind of work that could be criticised as metaphysical and/or unscientific in case it spooks funding bodies. Carroll and others working on QM interpretations would obviously like more resources to be devoted to that field. No-one knows what the right balance of focus is and how far from it we are.

As for your other post on free will, it's got a lot of linked info and I want to peruse it all so I don't miss anything possibly important or interesting, so I'll get back to you on that when I can.
OK.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The scientific community tends to be somewhat conservative. Some don't want to be associated with the kind of work that could be criticised as metaphysical and/or unscientific in case it spooks funding bodies.
Maybe they could use a "Deepak Chopra Test". Shoot him an email. If he likes the idea, nix it. ;)
Yes; those are the factors that I use to establish my goals, and my choices are attempts to realise those goals. It's actually a bit more complicated than that - I often have conflicting preferences, wants, needs, etc., which lead to conflicting goals, e.g. when offered a doughnut - I'm hungry so I want to eat the doughnut; but I want to lose weight, so I don't want to eat it; but I really like doughnuts, so I want to eat it; but I don't want to appear greedy, so I don't want to eat it; but I don't want to offend the person offering it... etc. Harry Frankfurt made an interesting analysis of free will in respect of this kind of thing.
If you say they are "factors you use", I agree, and I agree that we can have conflicting goals and desires. The fact that we can choose between two conflicting desires is evidence to me that we are standing outside of our natural biological impulses. Goals and desires don't exist in any kind of democracy. Doesn't there have to be some "sovereign" apart from the goals and desires to decide between them?

As far as the Frankfurt thing, in part 1 there's a person named Jones who does something. There's another named Black who seems irrelevant to the story. Is something going over my head? What am I missing?

Part 2 defines will as "a first-order desire which is effective, i.e. that causes one to do what one desires to do". I don't agree with that. It later says “It seems to me both natural and useful to construe the question of whether a person’s will is free in close analogy to the question of whether an agent enjoys freedom of action." This must be false. If I'm helplessly chained to a wall in a dungeon, and almost completely incapable of any action, that has no bearing on whether I have free will.
But reasoning is generally defined as involving logical processes in various ways, e.g. analysing available information and coming to some rational or logical conclusion about it.

What parts of reasoning do you feel are not amenable to physical cause-effect explanation; can you give any examples?
It's not parts of reasoning, but that your brain, overall, is part of nature. But an example of a part of reasoning that's particularly interesting is "inference" and "implication". You say to a friend "I'm going to the bar tonight." He says "Again?" You could infer that the friend is implying that you go to the bar too much, or that you drink too much, or something else. You receive a question and immediately decode it into a statement, the opposite of a question. This act of inference (whether correct or not) requires going over and above the raw data input into your brain. The use and understanding of rhetoric is similar in this regard, as is something we call "reading between the lines".

I'll mention something else that may not have to do with reasoning. Someone once said "Art is the signature of man". God created man in His image, which means man has that same creative power on a smaller scale; he can make representative art - paintings and statues of himself, which I believe represents a quantum leap of consciousness over our nearest animal relatives. You may know of this: I once stumbled upon a video of an elephant standing in front of a canvas, holding a brush with its trunk, and it was painting a rough sketch of an elephant. I try not to be the gullible type, so after a moment's consideration I knew there must be more to it, but the initial effect of seeing that video with no explanation was shocking, uncanny, even a tad frightening. I had the overwhelming sense that "this animal is not of nature". But humans paint humans, and we are also animals. (The video turned out to be of an elephant trained over a long period of time, being rewarded when making certain brushstrokes, with each stroke being guided by its handler. The elephant didn't know what it was doing. A very clever trick for tourists nonetheless.)

If you want to just chalk art up to higher intelligence and brain complexity, consider the proverbial missing link. Could there be a creature intermediate between man and lower apes, that could "sort of" draw itself? I don't see it. What I see is a kind and quality of self-awareness which you either "got" or "don't got".

But specific examples are less important than the big picture - that we've got about 3 lbs. of meat in a bone skull which does all this. Maybe you know the old quote from Haldane: "It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms."

Logical processes cannot come from matter following illogical rules. We have no reason to even believe that 2+2 =4, because natural selection, which is responsible for our brain, merely does whatever works to propagate life. I'd ask you "is cell division reasonable, logical, or true?" Obviously the question is meaningless, cell division simply "is", but cell division works for propagating life, as does math and science for humans. That's all that matters in evolution. One might say "but 2+2=4 is a tautology, everyone can plainly see in their mind's eye it's true." But we also see a tiny sliver of the electromagnetic spectrum as colored light, and that has also become useful for survival, but it doesn't mean the colors blue or red are reasonable or logical or true. It means they have become useful.

And false beliefs can also be useful. If I avoid eating the poisonous berries because my tribal elders have taught me they're created by the evil demon gods, the outcome is still advantageous.

(Apologies for the length of this. Hope it's not too rambling.)
Thinking about our thoughts and introspection is metacognition, and requires that we keep a short-term record of our thought processing and can use that record as input for the metacognitive self - also called the executive self. This is facilitated by the bulk of everyday thinking being delegated to unconscious processes that provide rapid responses using associative memory, simple heuristics, etc. The outputs of these unconscious processes, and the conscious response to them, remain available for a short period and provide a means of tracing recent activity.

For an entertaining account of these two kinds of thinking ('System 1' - involuntary, fast, highly parallel, effortless; and 'System 2' - conscious, slow, sequential, effortful), how they interact, and the experimental basis for the distinction, I recommend Daniel Kahneman's book 'Thinking, Fast and Slow', it's an eye-opener, full of little tests and experiments you can do on yourself.

The metacognitive self is the part of the overall construct of the sense of self that provides an explicit self-referring 'I'. The other components of the sense of self include: a perspective or viewpoint (the body, or 'behind the eyes'); ownership (the body and brain and their contents belong to 'me'); agency (the sense that 'I' can control actions of the body to influence the world); and feelings (emotions and bodily sensations). Under certain circumstances, each of these can be disrupted with corresponding effects on the sense of self. For interesting (though slightly technical) analysis of this and the neuroscience behind it, I recommend Antonio Damasio's book, 'Self Comes To Mind'.
It seems like you're going into a bit more detail with technical language to say the same thing I said. An "executive self" is the self standing outside, or over and above its self. I suppose you want to give a naturalistic explanation for the magic trick, which perhaps you can, or can in the future. But the problem is it doesn't add anything to solving the problem of what we choose to believe, which could be expressed something like this:

Me: Isn't it wonderful that God makes beautiful rainbows?
Atheist: Well, no. There's no God needed. Rainbows are made by <scientific explanation>.
Me: Well yes, that's how God makes rainbows.

We live in an obstensibly real spacetime, with real laws and matter, so in principle at least, anything may be able to be reduced; to be explained in the terms of the sciences which examine things. This is to be expected. Where this cannot apply is to reason, which is the thing we are using to make explanations. If we explain that reason is the result of unreasonable forces, we've contradicted ourselves. We've sawn off the limb we're sitting on; hoisted by our own petard, so to speak.

Since we were talking about QM, I should add that, although we don't know what the future holds, quantum mechanics may represent a giant stumbling block to complete reductionism.
Yes, I like a lot of what Dennett says, but I don't think this is helpful. Far better to say that consciousness is not what (how?) it subjectively seems to be. This may be what he means by 'illusion', but it gives the strong impression that he's saying it doesn't really exist, and again, it seems to me that subjective experience tells us that we are (often) conscious, and the real question is what is going on to cause this experience.

A lot of the processes and mechanisms that contribute to consciousness have been discovered, but none seem to be essential (apart from the obvious, like wakefulness). The essence of consciousness has been described as a basic awareness of being, i.e. that there is something it is like to be a particular entity (see Thomas Nagel's famous paper 'What is it Like to be a Bat?'). The fundamental question of why there is something it is like to be a particular entity remains unanswered, although there are a number of promising ideas.

The problem is that it's explicitly subjective, so objective descriptions & explanations can only ever be correlative or analogous; i.e. by analysing brain function, it may be theroetically possible to design a conscious system, but although it may give all the right indications, we can't know it's conscious without being such a system; we ultimately have to judge its (degree of) consciousness by its behaviour, as we do with other creatures (this just reminded me of the recent chimp video).
I like what Nagel says about the limits of reductionism in some cases. And everything we do in science or elsewhere in life will neccesarily be human-centric; trying to pretend otherwise can result in losing some truth rather than gaining more.

What's it like to be a bat, lol. Reminds me of those hypnotist acts where an audience member is turned into a chicken, and then they're perfectly normal when they snap out of it. Can you imagine if that actually happened, temporarily having the consciousness of a chicken? I imagine it would be such a psyche-shattering experience you'd probably be dysfunctionally traumatized the rest of your life. But these people are like "ha ha that was fun". :D

The chimp video wouldn't play for me, but I guess it's poking a phone with a finger?
Yes, I agree that it's an ill-defined term. Both 'free' and 'will' are open to multiple interpretations. But it does imply a distinction between freedom and will, so presumably it means that 'will' is what drives voluntary agency whether the outcome is desired or not, e.g. when mugged, you exercise your will to hand over your money, but you do it 'unwillingly', i.e. an equivocation between will as voluntary agency and will as desired agency.
I see what you're saying. Exercising will always involves choices. I knew a guy who was shot and killed because he refused to hand over money to robbers. He made a choice. And plus, what you said about eating doughnuts.
Yes, I don't think AIs can be considered to have a 'will to' anything until they have the equivalent of feelings (though not necessarily explicit emotions) to provide them with the drive to develop and pursue goals. That would be an awful lot of unnecessary extra baggage for an AI to have - unless it was intended to be an adaptive general-purpose system, and the only justification I can think of for spending the time and resource on developing something like that would be for an autonomous planetary explorer... Then it really could send back excited Tweets about its discoveries that weren't concocted by some PR geek ;)
Or maybe unexcited Tweets. :) https://www.theonion.com/mars-rover-beginning-to-hate-mars-1819568751

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Maybe they could use a "Deepak Chopra Test". Shoot him an email. If he likes the idea, nix it. ;)
Lol! It's not quite that bad - there's a difference between untestable predictions and extrapolations of established theories and pseudoscience.

The fact that we can choose between two conflicting desires is evidence to me that we are standing outside of our natural biological impulses. Goals and desires don't exist in any kind of democracy. Doesn't there have to be some "sovereign" apart from the goals and desires to decide between them?
I don't think we should expect brain processes to operate as a democracy. A common analogy is that the various options 'compete' for attention; I find that rather strong - I see it as a relatively passive process, where each option is crudely assessed by the feelings it invokes, such as disgust or pleasure, in terms of degree of activation in the relevant brain area, in combination with how it matches relevant longer-term goals which will boost or suppress the reward system activation accordingly.

The option that results in an overall maximum reward system activation for feelings and goals combined 'wins out'. In practice, these evaluations are uncertain, varying dynamically during the process as the focus of attention rests on and stimulates associations of the various elements, which may strengthen their influence as others fade. It also seems to me that, for the majority of everyday decisions, this process is cursory and mostly unconscious. There also appears to be a mechanism that 'times out' the process after a certain (variable) deliberation time, and simply selects the option that is the focus of attention at the time.

Whether the processing of choices follows the model I described above, or something along similar lines, it clearly doesn't need a high-level arbiter to make a decision. The internal arbiter suggestion leads to an infinite regress - if the brain needs recourse to an arbiter to make a decision, then it would seem that the arbiter will have the same problem... This is a variation on the homunculus argument (Cartesian Theatre).

As far as the Frankfurt thing, in part 1 there's a person named Jones who does something. There's another named Black who seems irrelevant to the story. Is something going over my head? What am I missing?
This was using a common definition of free will (that, in any given context, you could make different choices) and testing the idea that if you couldn't make different choices, you didn't have free will in that context and so couldn't be held responsible for your choice.

So Black wants Jones to make a particular choice, and will subtly act to ensure that he does, but only if it's apparent that Jones isn't going to make the choice Black wants. It could be argued that in this situation Jones has no option but to make the choice Black wants, therefore can not be held responsible his choice, but it's clear that if Black doesn't have to act, Jones has freely chosen the option Black wanted and so is responsible for his choice. IOW, it invalidates the 'having free will means being able to choose differently' assertion.

Part 2 defines will as "a first-order desire which is effective, i.e. that causes one to do what one desires to do". I don't agree with that. It later says “It seems to me both natural and useful to construe the question of whether a person’s will is free in close analogy to the question of whether an agent enjoys freedom of action." This must be false. If I'm helplessly chained to a wall in a dungeon, and almost completely incapable of any action, that has no bearing on whether I have free will.
This is the same definitional issue as before. Conventionally your will is considered to be free in some context only if you can exercise it freely (e.g. you are free of coercion and constraint in that respect). The interesting issues are not about whether you have will, but what it means for it to be 'free'. I agree that the language around this topic can be rather confusing.

It's not parts of reasoning, but that your brain, overall, is part of nature. But an example of a part of reasoning that's particularly interesting is "inference" and "implication". You say to a friend "I'm going to the bar tonight." He says "Again?" You could infer that the friend is implying that you go to the bar too much, or that you drink too much, or something else. You receive a question and immediately decode it into a statement, the opposite of a question. This act of inference (whether correct or not) requires going over and above the raw data input into your brain. The use and understanding of rhetoric is similar in this regard, as is something we call "reading between the lines".
It may be complex processing, but it's not inexplicable - that kind of inference or implication requires that you run through a number of scenarios for the potential meaning of 'Again?' in that context. If not taken literally (i.e. answered with an unadorned "Yes"), it involves having experience of that type of language use (i.e. a 'yes/no' question expecting an explanation). It's also a complex example because it involves theory of mind to model what he's thinking, when you derive and process the scenarios with reference to what you know of the mental characteristics of that individual and what he may have said to you in the past (e.g. you may be aware that he knows your reasons for frequenting the bar, and/or he disapproves of bars).

... man has that same creative power on a smaller scale; he can make representative art - paintings and statues of himself, which I believe represents a quantum leap of consciousness over our nearest animal relatives.
Yes; art involves a number of things we are particularly good at - such as abstraction, metaphor, and visualisation/planning, which also facilitate creativity. These are features common to most of our successful traits, e.g. language.

If you want to just chalk art up to higher intelligence and brain complexity, consider the proverbial missing link. Could there be a creature intermediate between man and lower apes, that could "sort of" draw itself? I don't see it. What I see is a kind and quality of self-awareness which you either "got" or "don't got".
As far as I'm aware, we don't see deliberate art in non-human species, and human art seems to have a fairly clear sequence of development from crude markings such as a sequence of parallel lines or cross-hatching, through hand shadowing to representational depictions of animals and stick-figures. Like language, it appears to be a culturally developed form of communication that takes advantage of our particular cognitive abilities.

But specific examples are less important than the big picture - that we've got about 3 lbs. of meat in a bone skull which does all this. Maybe you know the old quote from Haldane: "It seems to me immensely unlikely that mind is a mere by-product of matter. For if my mental processes are determined wholly by the motions of atoms in my brain I have no reason to suppose that my beliefs are true. They may be sound chemically, but that does not make them sound logically. And hence I have no reason for supposing my brain to be composed of atoms."
Well, that statement is self-contradictory - if the premise were true, he'd also have no reason to suppose his statement was true...

But ignoring that, it is true that we have no a-priori reason to suppose our beliefs are true, except to the extent that we can see they have reasonable correspondence with states of affairs in the world, i.e. they reflect reality. A consolation is that our brains evolved to perform the way they do because it provided us with a selective reproductive advantage in the world, so while the beliefs themselves may not necessarily be true, the perceptual and cognitive processes underlying them must provide sufficient fidelity about the world to enable our survival; i.e. we have the mental tools to investigate the world and test our beliefs. Science is a set of tools and methods specifically developed for this purpose, so there is hope for Haldane.

Logical processes cannot come from matter following illogical rules. We have no reason to even believe that 2+2 =4, because natural selection, which is responsible for our brain, merely does whatever works to propagate life.
I don't follow you; 2+2=4 because that is a logical implication of the axioms of mathematics; that's how it is defined. It presumably began with abstractions of real-world experience, such as counting, made symbolic. Even fairly simple creatures can distinguish few from many - it's a useful survival skill.

One might say "but 2+2=4 is a tautology, everyone can plainly see in their mind's eye it's true." But we also see a tiny sliver of the electromagnetic spectrum as colored light, and that has also become useful for survival, but it doesn't mean the colors blue or red are reasonable or logical or true. It means they have become useful.
Sure, and simple counting has obvious survival value (you can tell who outnumbers whom), and more formal arithmetic has obvious cultural value in societies (trade, accounting, etc).

And false beliefs can also be useful. If I avoid eating the poisonous berries because my tribal elders have taught me they're created by the evil demon gods, the outcome is still advantageous.
Yes, absolutely. There's a good argument that our overactive tendency to attribute agency to unexplained events is an evolved precautionary principle - those who were more likely to interpret unexplained noises or movement as a potential threat were more likely to survive than those who were blasé about it, and so more likely to pass on the genetic basis of their anxiety.

IAn "executive self" is the self standing outside, or over and above its self. I suppose you want to give a naturalistic explanation for the magic trick, which perhaps you can, or can in the future.
The executive self is a means of monitoring and co-ordinating lower-level activities according to a particular goal, using the focus of attention. It contributes to the conscious self, the 'I' that feels it's captain of the ship. So when you go to drive to a friend's house and find yourself driving to work instead, it's the 'module' that gets alerted that there's a mismatch between the expected and observed scenery; the focus of attention is redirected and a revised plan is formulated and delegated (ironically, rather like a satnav recalculating the route when you ignore the directions).

The conscious self generally takes credit for executive actions, but the evidence from neuroscience suggests that it's the whole system that decides to act, and most of the process is unconscious. The conscious self has limited access to general system activity ('need to know basis') and becomes aware of the activity at some point after it begins. A plausible narrative is generated to explain it. So the conscious self acts as the system's high-level self-awareness; and represents a simplified version of the system to itself and others (like a social avatar), but it's a very small part of the whole system (typically estimated at 5% or less by neuroscientists).

But the problem is it doesn't add anything to solving the problem of what we choose to believe, which could be expressed something like this:

Me: Isn't it wonderful that God makes beautiful rainbows?
Atheist: Well, no. There's no God needed. Rainbows are made by <scientific explanation>.
Me: Well yes, that's how God makes rainbows.
The obvious next question is, "But why do you feel the need to invoke a God?"

We live in an obstensibly real spacetime, with real laws and matter, so in principle at least, anything may be able to be reduced; to be explained in the terms of the sciences which examine things. This is to be expected. Where this cannot apply is to reason, which is the thing we are using to make explanations. If we explain that reason is the result of unreasonable forces, we've contradicted ourselves. We've sawn off the limb we're sitting on; hoisted by our own petard, so to speak.
I disagree, it doesn't follow. Evolution is a (wasteful) selective process that has produced flexible and adaptable cognitive systems; our capacity to reason is a result, and has been a huge selective advantage.

Since we were talking about QM, I should add that, although we don't know what the future holds, quantum mechanics may represent a giant stumbling block to complete reductionism.

I like what Nagel says about the limits of reductionism in some cases.
Of course reductionism has its limits - it only tells you about the substrate on which emergent systems are constructed. QM will tell you very little of use at macro-scales; chemistry will tell you very little of use in ecology; and so-on.

The chimp video wouldn't play for me, but I guess it's poking a phone with a finger?
It was browsing through Instagram, looking for interesting videos - especially of chimps, and particularly itself. It went viral, so there are bound to be many other sources for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think we should expect brain processes to operate as a democracy. A common analogy is that the various options 'compete' for attention;...
Compete for whose attention?
I find that rather strong - I see it as a relatively passive process, where each option is crudely assessed by the feelings it invokes, such as disgust or pleasure, in terms of degree of activation in the relevant brain area, in combination with how it matches relevant longer-term goals which will boost or suppress the reward system activation accordingly.
Who's the assessor?
The option that results in an overall maximum reward system activation for feelings and goals combined 'wins out'.
Can you elaborate on "reward system"? I think of reward in the common sense - someone does something "good" (according to some kind of spectrum of good and bad) and some willful agent rewards them for the behavior, and I suppose it usually includes the idea that the reward will serve as an incentive to induce more of that or similar good behavior. What exactly are you talking about?
In practice, these evaluations are uncertain, varying dynamically during the process as the focus of attention rests on and stimulates associations of the various elements, which may strengthen their influence as others fade. It also seems to me that, for the majority of everyday decisions, this process is cursory and mostly unconscious. There also appears to be a mechanism that 'times out' the process after a certain (variable) deliberation time, and simply selects the option that is the focus of attention at the time.
Is this based on some science or are you giving thoughts about how you personally experience things?
Whether the processing of choices follows the model I described above, or something along similar lines, it clearly doesn't need a high-level arbiter to make a decision.
Honestly it seems like you're making a case for a high-level arbiter, what with the talk of "assessing" options, and an option "winning". Matter cannot assess anything, nor declare winners. Matter would not know a winner from a loser.
The internal arbiter suggestion leads to an infinite regress - if the brain needs recourse to an arbiter to make a decision, then it would seem that the arbiter will have the same problem... This is a variation on the homunculus argument (Cartesian Theatre).
The arbiter regress doesn't matter since I'm Christian. The scriptures say that we were created in God's image, so we are like Him in that we are "little gods". As such, each of us are soveriegns. That's just a belief, but it does nicely solve the free will problem.
This was using a common definition of free will (that, in any given context, you could make different choices) and testing the idea that if you couldn't make different choices, you didn't have free will in that context and so couldn't be held responsible for your choice.

So Black wants Jones to make a particular choice, and will subtly act to ensure that he does, but only if it's apparent that Jones isn't going to make the choice Black wants. It could be argued that in this situation Jones has no option but to make the choice Black wants, therefore can not be held responsible his choice, but it's clear that if Black doesn't have to act, Jones has freely chosen the option Black wanted and so is responsible for his choice. IOW, it invalidates the 'having free will means being able to choose differently' assertion.
But the fact that Black may or may not have to act assumes that Jones has free will. The premise depends upon the truth of the thing it claims to refute, which is a contradiction.
This is the same definitional issue as before. Conventionally your will is considered to be free in some context only if you can exercise it freely (e.g. you are free of coercion and constraint in that respect). The interesting issues are not about whether you have will, but what it means for it to be 'free'. I agree that the language around this topic can be rather confusing.
I'm not sure that's the conventional definition. It means that every prisoner who has the will to be free but can't be, doesn't have the will to be free.
It may be complex processing, but it's not inexplicable - that kind of inference or implication requires that you run through a number of scenarios for the potential meaning of 'Again?' in that context. If not taken literally (i.e. answered with an unadorned "Yes"), it involves having experience of that type of language use (i.e. a 'yes/no' question expecting an explanation). It's also a complex example because it involves theory of mind to model what he's thinking, when you derive and process the scenarios with reference to what you know of the mental characteristics of that individual and what he may have said to you in the past (e.g. you may be aware that he knows your reasons for frequenting the bar, and/or he disapproves of bars).
I don't believe that "Again" prompts a command in our brain which requires us to "run through scenarios". I don't see how anything is required.
As far as I'm aware, we don't see deliberate art in non-human species, and human art seems to have a fairly clear sequence of development from crude markings such as a sequence of parallel lines or cross-hatching, through hand shadowing to representational depictions of animals and stick-figures. Like language, it appears to be a culturally developed form of communication that takes advantage of our particular cognitive abilities.
We have to take into account technology. Pre-historic man didn't have quality brushes and ink, and cave walls make for lousy canvas. You're not going to create the Mona Lisa with your finger or a stick.
Well, that statement is self-contradictory - if the premise were true, he'd also have no reason to suppose his statement was true...
Yes, that's the point - that naturalism is a contradiction. The key word is "wholly", if they are determined wholly by the motions of atoms...
But ignoring that, it is true that we have no a-priori reason to suppose our beliefs are true, except to the extent that we can see they have reasonable correspondence with states of affairs in the world, i.e. they reflect reality. A consolation is that our brains evolved to perform the way they do because it provided us with a selective reproductive advantage in the world, so while the beliefs themselves may not necessarily be true, the perceptual and cognitive processes underlying them must provide sufficient fidelity about the world to enable our survival; i.e. we have the mental tools to investigate the world and test our beliefs. Science is a set of tools and methods specifically developed for this purpose, so there is hope for Haldane.
Up above, you sound fairly Dennett-like in describing us almost as philosophical zombies, saying that we make decisions mostly unconsciously, that some reward system determines a winning impulse for us, and that some decisions just happen when the clock runs out. Now you tell me that our beliefs accurately reflect reality. It sounds as if you're holding two contradictory views simultaneously.
I don't follow you; 2+2=4 because that is a logical implication of the axioms of mathematics; that's how it is defined. It presumably began with abstractions of real-world experience, such as counting, made symbolic. Even fairly simple creatures can distinguish few from many - it's a useful survival skill.
Your brain perceives it as logical and axiomatic. You cannot possibly know if it is, because natural selection would select for that perception as a trait if it were useful, whether or not it was true.
The executive self is a means of monitoring and co-ordinating lower-level activities according to a particular goal, using the focus of attention. It contributes to the conscious self, the 'I' that feels it's captain of the ship. So when you go to drive to a friend's house and find yourself driving to work instead, it's the 'module' that gets alerted that there's a mismatch between the expected and observed scenery; the focus of attention is redirected and a revised plan is formulated and delegated (ironically, rather like a satnav recalculating the route when you ignore the directions).

The conscious self generally takes credit for executive actions, but the evidence from neuroscience suggests that it's the whole system that decides to act, and most of the process is unconscious. The conscious self has limited access to general system activity ('need to know basis') and becomes aware of the activity at some point after it begins. A plausible narrative is generated to explain it. So the conscious self acts as the system's high-level self-awareness; and represents a simplified version of the system to itself and others (like a social avatar), but it's a very small part of the whole system (typically estimated at 5% or less by neuroscientists).
Hope you don't think I'm being nit-picky about language, but for me it's the crux of the matter: what is this "I" that feels it's captain? And if it's not captain, why is it deceived about its rank?
The obvious next question is, "But why do you feel the need to invoke a God?"
I didn't intend to begin a general defense of theism here, especially since this conversation has already diverged a bit. My specific point was the inefficacy of naturalistic explanations to exclude the need for God, and specifically as pertains to free will. In the paragraphs above, you've given some probable descriptions of what may be going on when we make decisions. I'm just saying that, if what I believe is true, then still, of course, it will manifest itself though natural (or natural-looking) means. (Or not. We don't know what future surprises science could uncover for us. And I wouldn't be the first person to call quantum mechanics "spooky".)
I disagree, it doesn't follow. Evolution is a (wasteful) selective process that has produced flexible and adaptable cognitive systems; our capacity to reason is a result, and has been a huge selective advantage.
Again, my argument relies on the fact that it's a selective advantage, so we're in agreement. What are you saying doesn't follow?

For the sake of argument, I'm saying that. At the same time, I think you'll agree that bacteria and sharks and lots of stuff have been doing fine for a very long time with little or none of our capacity for reason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
Compete for whose attention?
This is all information processing, so the actors are the various processes involved. The activity related to options that trigger the highest level of, for example, reward associations, will propagate into areas associated with conscious deliberative processes, often called the 'global workspace', becoming the focus of attention. The onset of conscious awareness of unconscious or pre-conscious processing is characterised by widespread ('global') synchronised activity across the brain.

Who's the assessor?
It's a function of the way the system is organised. Processes that produce the highest salience in some context, e.g. reward system activation, will suppress 'competing' activity, and if the activation crosses a threshold value, will trigger deliberative processing, involving conscious awareness.

Can you elaborate on "reward system"? I think of reward in the common sense - someone does something "good" (according to some kind of spectrum of good and bad) and some willful agent rewards them for the behavior, and I suppose it usually includes the idea that the reward will serve as an incentive to induce more of that or similar good behavior. What exactly are you talking about?
It's a core system that's responsible for basic positive motivational behaviours conditioned by associative learning; so it's a primary driver of goal-seeking activities. A reward is something that we respond to with a positive approach, to which we are attracted. It's based on an ancient part of the brain that mediates the behaviourally dependent aspects of homeostasis by responding to so-called 'primordial' feelings (e.g. hunger).

It provides the physiological basis for experiential judgements of 'good' and 'bad' (e.g. what satisfies hunger is 'good'); and it's also the system so easily 'hijacked' by maladaptive rewards such as drugs, gambling, sweet food & drink, social media, etc. The Wiki page is pretty good on this.

Is this based on some science or are you giving thoughts about how you personally experience things?
It's based on science research - I'm trying to give a simplified interpretation to indicate how the sub-systems interact. It's actually considerably more complex than what I've described.

Honestly it seems like you're making a case for a high-level arbiter, what with the talk of "assessing" options, and an option "winning". Matter cannot assess anything, nor declare winners. Matter would not know a winner from a loser.
No, it's just that complex functions are easier to grasp described in anthropomorphic terms. When I say options are 'assessed', I mean that there are comparisons of the degree of activity triggered by the salient associations of each of those options, which effectively ranks them in terms of the strength of those associations. When I say one option 'wins out', I mean the option that best matches the contextual criteria is processed further or becomes a goal.

I would use a computer analogy, but although one can think of what the brain does in computational terms, functionally it's very different from a digital computer, being a collection of neural networks, where hardware and software are indistinguishable, and having dynamic local connectivity. In theory, they can be computationally equivalent, but it would be via an emergence relation, i.e. a digital system emulating a neural network.

The arbiter regress doesn't matter since I'm Christian. The scriptures say that we were created in God's image, so we are like Him in that we are "little gods". As such, each of us are soveriegns. That's just a belief, but it does nicely solve the free will problem.
Not so much solve it as simply label it 'solved'.

"Got a difficult problem, an unknown, or an inexplicable? God-did-it™ solves 99% of all known imponderables!"... Meh.

But the fact that Black may or may not have to act assumes that Jones has free will. The premise depends upon the truth of the thing it claims to refute, which is a contradiction.
The question is whether Jones has, i.e. can exercise, free will in that situation, whether he can be held morally responsible for his choice. The idea is to refute syllogisms along the line of:

P1. You have moral responsibility for your choices iif you have free will.
P2. You have free will iif you can choose differently (i.e. freedom of choice)
P3. You cannot choose differently in situation X.
C. You have no moral responsibility for your choice in situation X.

I'm not sure that's the conventional definition. It means that every prisoner who has the will to be free but can't be, doesn't have the will to be free.
No. In philosophy the question is not about what you can or can't wish for, but is pragmatic, revolving mainly around determinism/indeterminism and moral responsibility. So, the argument goes, free will means the ability to make free choices; if determinism holds, your choices are predetermined, so you don't have freedom of choice, therefore you don't have free will, and if you don't have free will, you don't have moral responsibility for your choices.

The implication follows that (assuming non-determinism) if you cannot choose differently (have freedom of choice) in some context, you don't have free will with respect to that context (i.e. you can't exercise free will in that context), therefore you cannot be morally responsible for that 'choice'. This is what Frankfurt's example refutes. I think this distinguishes a significant difference between pre-determination (which is absolute) and Black's conditional coercion.

I don't believe that "Again" prompts a command in our brain which requires us to "run through scenarios". I don't see how anything is required.
I said that inference (inferential processing) of that kind requires evaluating a number scenarios. The word is processed for semantic content by the auditory areas of the brain - see Language Processing - and the results initiate a (mainly unconscious) search for relevance and suitable responses. Explicitly conscious deliberative thinking will be invoked if the results are ambiguous (at which point you probably try to work out what he's talking about) or raise concerns (at which point you probably try to come up with a plausible excuse)...

We have to take into account technology. Pre-historic man didn't have quality brushes and ink, and cave walls make for lousy canvas. You're not going to create the Mona Lisa with your finger or a stick.
I don't think that's a significant consideration - some early cave paintings are extraordinary renditions, made with primitive equipment. Passable brushes can be made from frayed plant stems, and coloured earths & minerals, plant pigments, and charcoal are readily available. Technology increases the possible range and finesse of artistic effects, but the Lascaux paintings show it's not necessary to produce excellent art.

Yes, that's the point - that naturalism is a contradiction. The key word is "wholly", if they are determined wholly by the motions of atoms...
Er, no; given his premises, i.e. if it was true - for whatever reason - that he had no reason to suppose his beliefs were true, then he'd have no reason to suppose that that belief (about his beliefs) was true.

In its basic conception, a belief is an internal model that is held to be an accurate representation of some state of affairs in the world. It's only by convention that we restrict its use to conscious creatures, perhaps, ironically, because they have a tendency to hold beliefs that are not accurate representations or don't represent any state of affairs in the world (or maybe it's just considered to be an attribute of thinking creatures ;)).

Up above, you sound fairly Dennett-like in describing us almost as philosophical zombies, saying that we make decisions mostly unconsciously, that some reward system determines a winning impulse for us, and that some decisions just happen when the clock runs out. Now you tell me that our beliefs accurately reflect reality. It sounds as if you're holding two contradictory views simultaneously.
1 - No: Dennett thinks philosophical zombies are logically incoherent, and so impossible (I agree).
2 - Yes: most of our decision-making is unconscious or preconscious and our conscious awareness of it is post hoc.
3 - No: I didn't tell you that our beliefs accurately reflect reality. You may have misinterpreted the last part, "i.e. they reflect reality", which was intended to paraphrase "they have reasonable correspondence with states of affairs in the world". IOW, we have no reason to suppose our beliefs are true, except to the extent that we can see that they are a reasonable reflection of reality (which we can achieve by testing them).

Your brain perceives it as logical and axiomatic. You cannot possibly know if it is, because natural selection would select for that perception as a trait if it were useful, whether or not it was true.
Natural selection has selected for broad perceptual and cognitive capacities in relevant areas, not specific perceptions. Mathematics originated as an extension of our capacities for abstraction, symbolic representation, and sequential processing, starting with substitution representation (scratches, imprints, knots, pebbles, etc.) for simple counting, before becoming formalised and fully symbolic, it's statements tautologically true-by-definition.

Its physically represented statements (e.g. moving pebbles around when counting) could be seen to be true in the world long before it was formalised, and even now it can be seen to represent relationships in the real world - Eugene Wigner published a paper on "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences".

Hope you don't think I'm being nit-picky about language, but for me it's the crux of the matter: what is this "I" that feels it's captain? And if it's not captain, why is it deceived about its rank?
It's an interesting question - to cut a long story short, it's a simplified, idealised, mental model of the whole individual, carrying (often inaccurate) summaries of its relevant characteristics. I think it has two main functions, one is to be the model self that represents the whole in forward planning, retrospection, and everyday navigation of the world, and the other is to be a social interface or avatar, a flexible and adaptive facade that represents the whole during social interaction.

The reason it's a cut-down idealised model of the whole is that it has to respond rapidly and in real-time, which means having a relatively low computational overhead, particularly in complex social situations, and important personal information must be readily available, which means having summaries to hand is an advantage. It is continually updated with relevant information by the unconscious 'background' processes (System 1) so it can function effectively.

A reasonable analogy is that of a large company, with many departments beavering away in the background, producing plans, analysing data, managing the company's affairs, all reporting summaries to the boardroom, where the department heads exchange information, and the company PR and sales chief gets updated with bulletins on overall progress. He is the company's interface with the world, and is fed stories and information from PR department, which he can pass on in press briefings, meetings with other companies, etc.

He represents the company, identifies with the company, and gives the company line. When the company decides to undertake some new activity, he feels like it's his decision. When the company blunders, the PR dept feeds him a suitable excuse. It's only an analogy, but it's the best approximation I've yet seen. It's important to understand that the conscious 'I' isn't a separate entity helplessly carried around by a silent and spooky brain, nor does it drive the body around like a soccer mum in an SUV; it's a part of the whole and it has its role to play.

My specific point was the inefficacy of naturalistic explanations to exclude the need for God, and specifically as pertains to free will. In the paragraphs above, you've given some probable descriptions of what may be going on when we make decisions. I'm just saying that, if what I believe is true, then still, of course, it will manifest itself though natural (or natural-looking) means.
The question then becomes, if all the day-to-day stuff can be explained by natural, mechanistic means, what role does God play in it?

As already mentioned, I see free will in terms of our experience of making choices; if we can have the experience of freely choosing according to our will (preferences, desires, needs, etc.), that is what having free will means. However, we would have that experience even under determinism - in that situation, our will (preferences, desires, needs, etc.) itself would be the deterministic result of prior events - the result of the unique interactions between our genetic inheritance and our life experiences. It seems to me that it is the sum of those interactions that makes us who we are; personally, I want my choices to be determined by the effects of the experiences that have moulded who I am - if that were not the case, they wouldn't be my choices...

Again, my argument relies on the fact that it's a selective advantage, so we're in agreement. What are you saying doesn't follow?
I disagree that the claim that saying, "reason is the result of unreasonable forces" means "we've contradicted ourselves". That's equivalent to claiming that saying that "temperature and pressure are the result of the movements of atoms and molecules that don't themselves have temperature or pressure" is a contradiction, or that it must be a contradiction to say water is wet if individual water molecules aren't wet. Emergence is the explanation; it gives rise to systems that have novel properties and behave in novel ways according to novel rules or laws. Reason is an emergent property of creatures capable of abstraction, logic, etc. (and is not restricted to humans).

I think you'll agree that bacteria and sharks and lots of stuff have been doing fine for a very long time with little or none of our capacity for reason.
Sure; for most creatures, reason, and the capabilities that support it, have no selective advantage, and the majority (especially unicellular organisms) don't have any prospect of developing the necessary information processing power. The majority of creatures don't have wings either, and most don't have any prospect of developing them. Horses for courses.

• Informative
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is all information processing, so the actors are the various processes involved. The activity related to options that trigger the highest level of, for example, reward associations, will propagate into areas associated with conscious deliberative processes, often called the 'global workspace', becoming the focus of attention. The onset of conscious awareness of unconscious or pre-conscious processing is characterised by widespread ('global') synchronised activity across the brain.

It's a function of the way the system is organised. Processes that produce the highest salience in some context, e.g. reward system activation, will suppress 'competing' activity, and if the activation crosses a threshold value, will trigger deliberative processing, involving conscious awareness.
It seems to me your idea of will, like MWI, can never be proven. If that's the case, you hold at least two different unprovable beliefs, whereas I only hold one which covers everything. Occam's Razor might be on my side here. :)
It's a core system that's responsible for basic positive motivational behaviours conditioned by associative learning; so it's a primary driver of goal-seeking activities. A reward is something that we respond to with a positive approach, to which we are attracted. It's based on an ancient part of the brain that mediates the behaviourally dependent aspects of homeostasis by responding to so-called 'primordial' feelings (e.g. hunger).

It provides the physiological basis for experiential judgements of 'good' and 'bad' (e.g. what satisfies hunger is 'good'); and it's also the system so easily 'hijacked' by maladaptive rewards such as drugs, gambling, sweet food & drink, social media, etc. The Wiki page is pretty good on this.
I understand why you call drugs and such maladaptive, but it seems you're introducing a moral component that nature doesn't know or care about.
No, it's just that complex functions are easier to grasp described in anthropomorphic terms. When I say options are 'assessed', I mean that there are comparisons of the degree of activity triggered by the salient associations of each of those options, which effectively ranks them in terms of the strength of those associations. When I say one option 'wins out', I mean the option that best matches the contextual criteria is processed further or becomes a goal.
I'd say that the complex functions aren't easier to grasp with anthropomorphic terms, but impossible to describe without them. And, I could probably ask 10 questions trying to pick apart your following two sentences, but the posts are already long and I fear you may get irritated or bored with me, lol.
Not so much solve it as simply label it 'solved'.

"Got a difficult problem, an unknown, or an inexplicable? God-did-it™ solves 99% of all known imponderables!"... Meh.
No, it actually does solve it philosophically. An idea of the sovereign is a king, who makes decisions for himself, beholden to no one. He can utilize any number of influences, such as court advisors, but decisions ultimately lie with him, which is exactly what we experience when we think of making decisions in daily life.
The question is whether Jones has, i.e. can exercise, free will in that situation, whether he can be held morally responsible for his choice. The idea is to refute syllogisms along the line of:

P1. You have moral responsibility for your choices iif you have free will.
P2. You have free will iif you can choose differently (i.e. freedom of choice)
P3. You cannot choose differently in situation X.
C. You have no moral responsibility for your choice in situation X.

No. In philosophy the question is not about what you can or can't wish for, but is pragmatic, revolving mainly around determinism/indeterminism and moral responsibility. So, the argument goes, free will means the ability to make free choices; if determinism holds, your choices are predetermined, so you don't have freedom of choice, therefore you don't have free will, and if you don't have free will, you don't have moral responsibility for your choices.

The implication follows that (assuming non-determinism) if you cannot choose differently (have freedom of choice) in some context, you don't have free will with respect to that context (i.e. you can't exercise free will in that context), therefore you cannot be morally responsible for that 'choice'. This is what Frankfurt's example refutes. I think this distinguishes a significant difference between pre-determination (which is absolute) and Black's conditional coercion.
We're comparing apples and oranges here. "Will" is simply want you want, what you wish, what you "would" have if you had your way, regardless of whether you can have it. This is seen in this now somewhat outdated use of "would" as the past tense of "will" - "I would that you be more careful in the future." "Would that there were another piece of cake left."
I said that inference (inferential processing) of that kind requires evaluating a number scenarios. The word is processed for semantic content by the auditory areas of the brain - see Language Processing - and the results initiate a (mainly unconscious) search for relevance and suitable responses. Explicitly conscious deliberative thinking will be invoked if the results are ambiguous (at which point you probably try to work out what he's talking about) or raise concerns (at which point you probably try to come up with a plausible excuse)...
Who was the first human to make an implication? If this is all information processing as you say, then I say it must represent some kind of quantum leap - how would a computer change to giving output which didn't mean what it originally meant, in fact doesn't literally mean what it means?
I don't think that's a significant consideration - some early cave paintings are extraordinary renditions, made with primitive equipment. Passable brushes can be made from frayed plant stems, and coloured earths & minerals, plant pigments, and charcoal are readily available. Technology increases the possible range and finesse of artistic effects, but the Lascaux paintings show it's not necessary to produce excellent art.
Regardless of whether the art is good or bad, it's unique to man to be an amalgam of matter that knows what it is, and can express it.
Er, no; given his premises, i.e. if it was true - for whatever reason - that he had no reason to suppose his beliefs were true, then he'd have no reason to suppose that that belief (about his beliefs) was true.
Yes.
In its basic conception, a belief is an internal model that is held to be ...
"Held", you're just saying a belief is a belief.
1 - No: Dennett thinks philosophical zombies are logically incoherent, and so impossible (I agree).
I said "almost"; it's almost the same thing.
2 - Yes: most of our decision-making is unconscious or preconscious and our conscious awareness of it is post hoc.
You're saying that I don't exist; that some "stuff", some matter and processes exist, which makes itself think it's me. I don't think this is science. I think this is taking a few bits and pieces of very inconclusive science and asserting a philosophy based on it.
3 - No: I didn't tell you that our beliefs accurately reflect reality. You may have misinterpreted the last part, "i.e. they reflect reality", which was intended to paraphrase "they have reasonable correspondence with states of affairs in the world". IOW, we have no reason to suppose our beliefs are true, except to the extent that we can see that they are a reasonable reflection of reality (which we can achieve by testing them).
You're saying, "We have no reason to suppose our beliefs to be true, unless we suppose them to be true."
Natural selection has selected for broad perceptual and cognitive capacities in relevant areas, not specific perceptions. Mathematics originated as an extension of our capacities for abstraction, symbolic representation, and sequential processing, starting with substitution representation (scratches, imprints, knots, pebbles, etc.) for simple counting, before becoming formalised and fully symbolic, it's statements tautologically true-by-definition.

Its physically represented statements (e.g. moving pebbles around when counting) could be seen to be true in the world long before it was formalised, and even now it can be seen to represent relationships in the real world - Eugene Wigner published a paper on "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences".
I didn't mean that any individual perception was selected out, but that any individual perception must still arise from within the broad capacities you mention.
It's an interesting question - to cut a long story short, it's a simplified, idealised, mental model of the whole individual, carrying (often inaccurate) summaries of its relevant characteristics. I think it has two main functions, one is to be the model self that represents the whole in forward planning, retrospection, and everyday navigation of the world, and the other is to be a social interface or avatar, a flexible and adaptive facade that represents the whole during social interaction.

The reason it's a cut-down idealised model of the whole is that it has to respond rapidly and in real-time, which means having a relatively low computational overhead, particularly in complex social situations, and important personal information must be readily available, which means having summaries to hand is an advantage. It is continually updated with relevant information by the unconscious 'background' processes (System 1) so it can function effectively.

A reasonable analogy is that of a large company, with many departments beavering away in the background, producing plans, analysing data, managing the company's affairs, all reporting summaries to the boardroom, where the department heads exchange information, and the company PR and sales chief gets updated with bulletins on overall progress. He is the company's interface with the world, and is fed stories and information from PR department, which he can pass on in press briefings, meetings with other companies, etc.

He represents the company, identifies with the company, and gives the company line. When the company decides to undertake some new activity, he feels like it's his decision. When the company blunders, the PR dept feeds him a suitable excuse. It's only an analogy, but it's the best approximation I've yet seen. It's important to understand that the conscious 'I' isn't a separate entity helplessly carried around by a silent and spooky brain, nor does it drive the body around like a soccer mum in an SUV; it's a part of the whole and it has its role to play.
You replaced the captain analogy with the executive analogy. It's the same thing. I'm not sure how much further our conversation can go on, especially since we don't seem to agree on a definition of will. Maybe we can just agree that, as you said above, this is very difficult, or impossible, to discuss without such language. But, if I'm right, it will be discussed with anthropomorphic terms such as "captain" which I'm comfortable with. If you're right, it will still have to be discussed with those same terms.
The question then becomes, if all the day-to-day stuff can be explained by natural, mechanistic means, what role does God play in it?

As already mentioned, I see free will in terms of our experience of making choices; if we can have the experience of freely choosing according to our will (preferences, desires, needs, etc.), that is what having free will means. However, we would have that experience even under determinism - in that situation, our will (preferences, desires, needs, etc.) itself would be the deterministic result of prior events - the result of the unique interactions between our genetic inheritance and our life experiences. It seems to me that it is the sum of those interactions that makes us who we are; personally, I want my choices to be determined by the effects of the experiences that have moulded who I am - if that were not the case, they wouldn't be my choices...
You want your choices to be determined by effects of experiences...and that's what makes them your choices. Seems like there are contradictions in there.
I disagree that the claim that saying, "reason is the result of unreasonable forces" means "we've contradicted ourselves". That's equivalent to claiming that saying that "temperature and pressure are the result of the movements of atoms and molecules that don't themselves have temperature or pressure" is a contradiction, or that it must be a contradiction to say water is wet if individual water molecules aren't wet. Emergence is the explanation; it gives rise to systems that have novel properties and behave in novel ways according to novel rules or laws. Reason is an emergent property of creatures capable of abstraction, logic, etc. (and is not restricted to humans).
Emergence! Solves 99% of all known imponderables; ;), a hand-wavy way of saying "something magic happened over time". An automobile has novel properties its parts don't have. And "wet" is a quality of things which water comes in contact with. It might be philosophically debatable whether water is wet.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
It seems to me your idea of will, like MWI, can never be proven. If that's the case, you hold at least two different unprovable beliefs, whereas I only hold one which covers everything. Occam's Razor might be on my side here. :)
I think ideas of proof and belief are irrelevant distractions here.

MWI is an interpretation of QM, and like the other interpretations, it is wholly consistent with the formalism. There is no way to test any of them, although I suppose they can be ranked abductively. I find MWI particularly interesting because it is the simplest, deriving directly from the unadorned formalism, taking the wavefunction as a representation of something real. I've looked at it more closely than the others because it is widely misrepresented and misunderstood, and because it triggers such extreme incredulity, although QM superposition, of which it is a literal extension, does not.

My idea of will, what free will means, and how I see it operating, is a personal interpretation of the evidence, both experiential and empirical - it's a model that seems to me to provide the current best explanation of the available evidence. My interest is in whether it is consistent with the evidence, whether there are coherent arguments against it, and whether there are better explanations (in abductive terms - e.g. accuracy, scope, consistency, simplicity, fruitfulness).

I've explained the main ideas behind it, and I've asked you for your view of how your concept of free will differs from mine in practice, i.e. in terms of how we experience it in operation.

I'm interested to know the similarities and differences in our understanding of free will and how it is exercised - that's why I invited this discussion.

I understand why you call drugs and such maladaptive, but it seems you're introducing a moral component that nature doesn't know or care about.
Calling something maladaptive is not a moral judgement, it means that it is detrimental to health and/or well-being (in evolutionary terms, it means it impairs reproductive fitness). The moral judgements people make about such behaviours are a separate issue.

I'd say that the complex functions aren't easier to grasp with anthropomorphic terms, but impossible to describe without them.
Sounds like much the same thing - if they're impossible to describe without using anthropomorphic terms, that suggests they're impossible to grasp without using anthropomorphic terms...

And, I could probably ask 10 questions trying to pick apart your following two sentences, but the posts are already long and I fear you may get irritated or bored with me, lol.
I was really just pointing out that it can be described or explained as computational processing, albeit using different mechanisms to conventional digital computing, which is why I thought simple anthropomorphic terms would be easier to follow if you're prepared to accept them as useful analogies.

No, it actually does solve it philosophically. An idea of the sovereign is a king, who makes decisions for himself, beholden to no one. He can utilize any number of influences, such as court advisors, but decisions ultimately lie with him, which is exactly what we experience when we think of making decisions in daily life.
My point is that suggesting that "We're sovereigns" is an answer to "How do we make decisions?" is either kicking the philosophical can down the road, or just labelling it 'solved', because the obvious response is, "OK, so how does a 'sovereign' make decisions?"

So how do 'little gods' or 'sovereigns' make decisions?

We're comparing apples and oranges here. "Will" is simply want you want, what you wish, what you "would" have if you had your way, regardless of whether you can have it. This is seen in this now somewhat outdated use of "would" as the past tense of "will" - "I would that you be more careful in the future." "Would that there were another piece of cake left."
That's what I mean by 'will' too; I was talking about the philosophy of what is meant by 'free will'.

Who was the first human to make an implication? If this is all information processing as you say, then I say it must represent some kind of quantum leap - how would a computer change to giving output which didn't mean what it originally meant, in fact doesn't literally mean what it means?
It's really not that remarkable. An implication is just a communication with an indirect meaning or association. Creatures that can learn and make associations have been processing such signals since the year dot; e.g. if the other fish dart into the coral, the direct signal is they've taken cover; the indirect signal is that some danger has probably appeared. We've just incorporated it into our communication. Indirect or concealed signalling is a major part of social communication.

It's not the sort of thing computers are good at, because it requires an understanding of the relevant social cues and conventions, which tend to be quite subtle and layered - and often uncertain.

Regardless of whether the art is good or bad, it's unique to man to be an amalgam of matter that knows what it is, and can express it.
Agreed.

"Held", you're just saying a belief is a belief.
That's how descriptions work - they are an extended account of something. This was a functional description. 'Held' == 'taken to be', 'treated as', etc. I'm also trying to avoid the confusing equivocation of 'belief' as taking/holding/treating something as an indisputable fact about the world regardless of evidence, and 'belief' expressed as an opinion of likelihood (e.g. "I believe it's going to rain").

You're saying that I don't exist; that some "stuff", some matter and processes exist, which makes itself think it's me.
No, I'm saying you do exist, but you're only consciously aware of a small part of what & who you are. That's what the evidence from neuroscience tells us. And, yes, the evidence is that both the whole you and the consciously aware part of you are made of matter and its interactions.

Every identifiable aspect of consciousness can be altered by altering the activity of specific areas of the brain in specific ways; the major issue in this respect (the 'Hard Problem' of consciousness) is how subjective experience results from brain activity, i.e. how it is that there is 'something it is like' to be you at all.

I don't think this is science. I think this is taking a few bits and pieces of very inconclusive science and asserting a philosophy based on it.
It's actually a model supported by what is now quite an extensive body of empirical evidence. The precise interpretation is controversial, but it's clear that the onset of voluntary actions can be detected - and in some circumstances, a choice can be predicted - from brain activity up to several seconds prior to an individual reporting the choice or decision to act, suggesting that conscious awareness of the decision to act comes after the process has started.

You're saying, "We have no reason to suppose our beliefs to be true, unless we suppose them to be true."
No, I'm saying we have no reason to suppose our beliefs to be true unless we test them to see whether they are a reasonable reflection of reality. This is what science is about.

I didn't mean that any individual perception was selected out, but that any individual perception must still arise from within the broad capacities you mention.
OK.

You replaced the captain analogy with the executive analogy. It's the same thing.
The point of the analogy was that there is no captain, no single executive entity. The various departments do their thing and are co-ordinated via the department heads meeting to exchange information. I was loosely equating the head of the PR and sales dept. with our conscious self, the experiential 'I', which reflects the company position & direction but has no explicit executive power (although his interactions with the world will influence company activity).

I'm not sure how much further our conversation can go on, especially since we don't seem to agree on a definition of will.
I agree with the definition of will you described above; the meaning of 'free will' has been debated since the Ancient Greeks.

But, if I'm right, it will be discussed with anthropomorphic terms such as "captain" which I'm comfortable with. If you're right, it will still have to be discussed with those same terms.
I don't see it as an I'm right or you're right dichotomy; I'm looking for the simplest consistent model that can explain the evidence with a minimum number of assumptions and inexplicables. The evidence suggests that the idea of the conscious 'I' being the 'captain', i.e. the source or initiator of executive agency, is mistaken.

You want your choices to be determined by effects of experiences...and that's what makes them your choices. Seems like there are contradictions in there.
I don't see why - my current mental and physical state is the result of a lifetime of interactions between my genetic heritage and the environment, i.e. my life experiences. This has what has made me the unique individual that I am, and what has influenced the preferences, habits, needs, wants, desires, likes, and dislikes, etc., that I have developed over the years; the components underlying my 'will' if you like. When I make a choice, the reasons I have for it are based on those considerations.

Emergence! Solves 99% of all known imponderables; ;), a hand-wavy way of saying "something magic happened over time". An automobile has novel properties its parts don't have. And "wet" is a quality of things which water comes in contact with. It might be philosophically debatable whether water is wet.
There's nothing magic about emergence; it's simply a fact that simple interactions between many similar entities give rise to novel behaviours of the mass, with properties and rules that are not apparent in the behaviour and properties of the individual entities.

The world around us is emergent from the interactions of many individual atoms which are not themselves solids, liquids or gases, don't have temperature or pressure, aren't transparent or opaque etc. Those properties and behaviours only appear in, and only have meaning when applied to, the bulk interactions of atoms.

The shoaling of fish, the flocking of birds, are also complex coherent behaviours resulting from the application of simple rules between the individuals, with no leaders, no executive agency to direct them, yet the activity overall appears purposeful and directed - and does effectively evade and distract predators. The same principles apply to the summed activity of the ~80 billion neurons in our brains.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
That's how descriptions work - they are an extended account of something. This was a functional description. 'Held' == 'taken to be', 'treated as', etc. I'm also trying to avoid the confusing equivocation of 'belief' as taking/holding/treating something as an indisputable fact about the world regardless of evidence, and 'belief' expressed as an opinion of likelihood (e.g. "I believe it's going to rain").
Opinions are still beliefs in science and should be acknowledged as being such ... otherwise they are quite capable of influencing testing outcomes.
Distinguishing beliefs is of fundamental importance in upholding the integrity of the scientific process. It is unwise to trivialise distinguishing beliefs, no matter how insignificant they may appear as being.

FrumiousBandersnatch said:
No, I'm saying we have no reason to suppose our beliefs to be true unless we test them to see whether they are a reasonable reflection of reality. This is what science is about.
.. and yet, you cannot cite the objective test which unequivocally leads us to the conclusion that your 'reality' exists independently from the mind perceiving it. Where this objective test cannot even be cited, how can it be said as being 'what science is about'?

What you say above, may still turn out to be so ... but not because of any currently distinguished objective test that I've seen. We can only therefore conclude that what you say above about some mind independent 'reality' as being the standard for assessing truth, is also a belief held as being true, and can be discarded as such in proceeding with scientific testing (ie: it has no bearing whatsoever on such testing).

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
... We can only therefore conclude that what you say above about some mind independent 'reality' as being the standard for assessing truth, is also a belief held as being true, and can be discarded as such in proceeding with scientific testing (ie: it has no bearing whatsoever on such testing).
It's not so much a belief as a pragmatic assumption.

If I was in some situation without a mind-independent reality, in what sense would scientific testing have meaning?

Upvote 0