LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
For the past 80 years, Pluto has been considered a planet. However, a new decision by the International Astronomical Union has reclassified the term "Planet" to mean anything that orbits a star, is not a star itself, and is massive enough to turn itself into a spheroidal shape.

This means we now have 12 planets, as Ceres, Charon, and UB 401, commonly refered to as "Xena", are qualified as planets.

I submit this example to those who seem to think that scientific theories are inflexible and static, arguments I continue to encounter about evolution.

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
On the other hand, I often hear creationists complain that the self-correcting nature of science is its downfall. Because it is constantly being revised and updated, it is worthless in the face of the never-changing Bible (e.g., you will often hear, "Science texts are always going through revisions, but MY Bible never changes."). While I do believe the Bible to be the most important book we have, I certainly appreciate the self-regulating quality of science, too! It's the most objective system we have.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Neither God's revelation through nature nor God's revelation through scripture change, however our understanding of both are constantly changing. To say otherwise is at best a misunderstanding, and at worst, a lie.

Upvote 0

B®ent

Contender for the Faith
May 15, 2005
Mill Creek, WA.
✟4,932.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
LightHorseman said:
For the past 80 years, Pluto has been considered a planet. However, a new decision by the International Astronomical Union has reclassified the term "Planet" to mean anything that orbits a star, is not a star itself, and is massive enough to turn itself into a spheroidal shape.

This means we now have 12 planets, as Ceres, Charon, and UB 401, commonly refered to as "Xena", are qualified as planets.

I submit this example to those who seem to think that scientific theories are inflexible and static, arguments I continue to encounter about evolution.

Charon is a moon. How in the world do they figure it to be a planet? What about the Earth's moon, Mars' two moons, and the dozens of moons around Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune?

Their "science" is completely illogical. Pluto is a Kuiper object in close resemblance to a comet; just because it is "round" and "orbits a star" does not mean it is a planet.

I think their conclusions utterly ridiculous.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
Brent, well I'm sure you know more about it than the International Astronomical Union.

I believe the reason for Charon's inclusion is because it and pluto move in an iregular orbit, around a clearly defined lagrange, more of a binary system thaen a true satelite-primary system, like Earth and the moon.

Other than that, I'm not a professional Astronomer. I suggest you ask one, or look up the IAU website for answers, rather than sit here and ask rhetorical questions and pontificate on why the professionals don't know what they are talking about.

If, you have a Masters or better in Astrophysics or Cosmology, you have my immediate and total apologies.

Oh, and the point of the topic was really "See? Science is flexible, all you YEC advocates out there who call it a dogmatic religion"... so your criticism of the new findings is really sort of off topic.

Upvote 0

B®ent

Contender for the Faith
May 15, 2005
Mill Creek, WA.
✟4,932.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
LightHorseman said:
Yeah? ask him how he feels about Xena then... given its BIGGER than pluto...

Only slighlty larger (5% roughly). Either way, we're talking small potatoes -- much smaller than the Earth's moon, and far less massive (about 20% of the Moon's mass). Pluto and Xena are both Kuiper belt objects -- they're large comets, not plantets. Anyway, I predict that once a dozen or more of these so-called "planets" are discovered," astronomers will realize how absurd their new classification system is, and make the proper corrections.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Because it is constantly being revised and updated, it is worthless in the face of the never-changing Bible (e.g., you will often hear, "Science texts are always going through revisions, but MY Bible never changes.")

MY Bible doesn't change - but HIS (insert random renegade Christian group) does. That's why we have all these denominations.

Also, of course, things that don't change tend to be dead.

Upvote 0

B®ent

Contender for the Faith
May 15, 2005
Mill Creek, WA.
✟4,932.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
LightHorseman said:
And how do you feel about Hitler and Musolini?

Mussolini was a coward. As for Hitler, I despise the man!

You must remember that fascism in one country is usually radically different from fascism in another country. The history, traditions, culture, religion, etc., differs from Nation to Nation, and therefore so does the ideology. Nationalism (from a right-wing approach) and Corporatism are essentially the only principles these ideologies have in common.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
That, and Franco was a dictator who ruthlessly oppressed his opposition, marginalised and brutalised minorities, and was on first name terms with Hitler and his top staffers, so much so that the German Army virtually won the civil war for him.

Yeah, other than that, their poles apart

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.