✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
School board bans 'gun' from spelling tests

A school board in Canada has banned the word "gun" from all spelling tests in its district after the parents of a first-grader complained about the word appearing on a spelling list distributed by her teacher, reports the Ottawa Citizen.

This seems silly to me... I think the word "Gun" is harmless in and of itself, and it is futile to try to limit a childs vocabulary to keep them safe from crime - does this lady think if her child never learns the word "Gun" the child will be less inclined to live a life of crime?
This school removed the word per this lady's request to do so... that bothers me as well.
It seems to me that anyone with a complaint, no matter how silly, can get their way these days.. schools all over the country are working hard to sanitize themselves of anything that might be Christian in any way because of complaints and threats from the ACLU...
Why is it that we do not stand up for ourselves anymore? or is this not new?
any comments?

bigat

Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I heard about this on the way to work. They had the spokesperson on from the school. It was only banned from the 1 class and nothing more.

I think it's rather ridiculous! I don't agree w/ a lot of things but it doesn't mean my child shouldn't learn about them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

waterwizard

Senior Veteran
Aug 13, 2002
Alabama
✟3,275.00
Faith
Baptist
Today at 10:16 AM ocean said this in Post #15

The word itself isn't vulgar or violent, but guns are violent, they are used in most violent crimes.

"Violent" guns......when was the last time you saw a gun jump up and start shooting people?  No, guns themselves aren't violent.  It's what people do with them that determines the violence.

Don't blame an inanimate object.  It's the nut behind the control that's dangerous.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Should the words, 'knife', 'lead pipe', 'baseball bat', 'brick', 'rope', 'missle', 'tank', 'bomb' or 'explosive' be banned as well? After all, they are all used to kill people. And, it doesn't matter how many times, or how often, or what percentage of usage to kill people these items get used. They can all be tied to killing people.

Good Lord!!! How far down this politically correct path are we to go before we wake up?!?!

Upvote 0

Didymus

can t spell--can t type
Feb 3, 2002
New York state
✟10,771.00
Faith
Protestant
if the army and the navy ever look on heaven s scenes they will find the streets are guarded by UNITED STATES MARINES !!
Not a marine but know several young men who are--one who may have already been deployed to Iraq.
My father s best friend was one. He was killed on Iwo Jima.

This is why we need Christians to get involved in their local schools. I cannot serve as a school borard member because I am a member of the spec ed comm and it would be conflict of intrest because the board has to vote on comm recomendations.

Upvote 0