Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
However, I am going to revisit this and do some intense research about it ... so far ... I have found that this has been a controversial topic for some time. I did go back and "scan read" in Exodus where God set down the temple process (He was very detailed about it) and there is nothing in it about a scapegoat .... so it appears the scapegoat "process" was added later.

In Exodus, there were 2 goats (rams) sacrificed, neither was "let go".

also, found this verse:

Leviticus 17

7They must no longer offer their sacrifices to the goat demons to which they have prostituted themselves. This will be a permanent statute for them for the generations to come.
I'll need to read more in Exodus and compare that to Leviticus (because I've never really read all that with the question in mind about the differences). Off-hand.....I wonder if Exodus was instructing them prior to their Golden Calf incident - which broke one covenant. In Exodus 34, there's a new (second) covenant mentioned between God and Moses.

I have read that most of the sacrifices that they were instructed to follow did have to do with their idolatry and reverence of certain animals (like their Golden Calf they formed and worshiped) - which Scripture seems to be pointing to in what you shared.

This was at the time when the Israelites were carrying the Ark of the Covenant - right (not during the temple era). Exodus was also prior to the "glory departing" that's mentioned in 1st Samuel 4:21 (which was after the Ark had been captured).

It may be interesting to do a study of the timeline of the Ark of the Covenant (God's presence).

Upvote 0