Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm just wondering... is this something you make an effort to do?

It's something I've always tried to do, but have seen all my other friends at church not do so... eg we had new people who remembered not having majority of people not talk to them for a month...

I've just started going to a new church... and have found people are much the same here too... except I don't think you can really go round saying "hi I'm lozzie... you are?" without freaking people out...its a bit too forward for my liking... I've met a few of the girls, and spent the time talking to them, but feel like alot of people have actually passed up opportunities to talk and introduce themselves.

So... my question is... do you guys make an effort to meet new people or wait for someone else to introduce you to them? :)

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I'm in-between churches at the moment. My most recent homechurch was very, very big and so, when it came time to do the "hello's", I always shied away from them. I never felt comfortable doing so. Even though I felt the Holy Spirit nourishing me in the church service, I rarely felt comfortable sitting in the pews with His people.

This new church I'm strongly considering is smaller and more intimate. I don't mind saying "hello's" there, but it is still something to get used to. Although I enjoy meeting new people wherever I may be, doing so within the Church body has always been a struggle for me past my teenage years.

Upvote 0

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think this is especially an important thing to do. The majority of churches I have attended had a 'welcoming' committee of some sort. Sometimes though I wonder if that's enough. It works for the odd person who is just there to hear the sermon, but for a new person looking to form relationships, they may need someone in a group to reach out and bring them in. Not everyone is so bold to walk up to people and introduce themselves.

I'm all for making people feel at home and welcome!

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm just wondering... is this something you make an effort to do?

It's something I've always tried to do, but have seen all my other friends at church not do so... eg we had new people who remembered not having majority of people not talk to them for a month...

I've just started going to a new church... and have found people are much the same here too... except I don't think you can really go round saying "hi I'm lozzie... you are?" without freaking people out...its a bit too forward for my liking... I've met a few of the girls, and spent the time talking to them, but feel like alot of people have actually passed up opportunities to talk and introduce themselves.

So... my question is... do you guys make an effort to meet new people or wait for someone else to introduce you to them? :)
No because I am the new person.

Plus, I just sit to myself and enjoy the experience and when people talk to me, I more than willing talk with them. Until then, I'm like the quiet person that comes into church, doesn't say a word, and then leaves peacefully.

I like it when people do it though. Where I go to now, they have done a great job at welcoming there. I don't expect it though. Church is more than giving a friendly face to new comers to me, so I don't expect it, but its for sure a bonus if they do.

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I've been to 4-5 churches and have never been greeted before, except the catholic churches I went to where people would say, "peace be with you" and shake my hand quickly and that's it. It's kind of a shame, I'd love to talk to people at church but nobody has initiated anything with me before.

When I move to NC and start going to church there, I'm going to be bold and introduce myself to anybody who will listen. I'm hoping the churches there are more friendly and accepting, because I have no friends where I'm moving so I'm counting on the church to supply me with friends!

Upvote 0

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm also between churches, but the church I was going to had a huge gauntlet of greeters. It's kind of unsettling for me, but maybe other folks appreciate it.

I just picture a stampede of grandmas scrambling to reach you first to pinch your cheeks.

That would make me nervous too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

toastface_grillah

I've been to 4-5 churches and have never been greeted before, except the catholic churches I went to where people would say, "peace be with you" and shake my hand quickly and that's it. It's kind of a shame, I'd love to talk to people at church but nobody has initiated anything with me before.

When I move to NC and start going to church there, I'm going to be bold and introduce myself to anybody who will listen. I'm hoping the churches there are more friendly and accepting, because I have no friends where I'm moving so I'm counting on the church to supply me with friends!

Good luck with that one, buddy. Not to be all like :sad: or anything, but that could be awhile unless they have a good young adults ministry.

As the perennial newbie, it's nice when people say hello, but I don't always expect them to do it.

Upvote 0

deepgreen11

Veteran
Jun 18, 2008
✟10,037.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I say hi to a lot of people, but I don't say "Oh hey, are you new?" Someone said that to a new person at the campus ministry, but they had been there consistently for a month. OOPS.
We say "welcome" from the podium/pulpit to visitors in general, but sometimes someone will say "Ah, I haven't seen you here before, and you are?" Some people are greatly embarrassed by this happening in front of the entire church. I think friendliness at greeting time is sufficient, not to mention the cute little mugs...
If someone who has moved away comes back for a visit/is in town, they will say something like "Oh, the Hill family is with us today! Good morning, Hill Family!"
Itty bitty church.

Upvote 0

kevlite2020

rawr means I love you in dinosaur!
Sep 11, 2008
Florida
Visit site
✟35,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good luck with that one, buddy. Not to be all like :sad: or anything, but that could be awhile unless they have a good young adults ministry.

As the perennial newbie, it's nice when people say hello, but I don't always expect them to do it.

heh, thanks for wishing me luck. You're right and I am a little nervous that it might take awhile. The first church I'm planning on checking out there is a fairly big looking megachurch, and their website shows all sorts of different small group things and events to do, so (as long as I like the church and think they are following the Bible well) I'm hoping if I just throw myself at all these events and groups I'll just stick!

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been visiting a lot of churches lately and I can honestly say that I'm lucky of anyone ever talks to me or asks if I'm new. I think it's just a product of today's churches: if you're not in the "click" then you don't really count. I don't let that discourage me from going but every once in a while it would be nice if someone at least acknowledged my existence.^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I've been visiting a lot of churches lately and I can honestly say that I'm lucky of anyone ever talks to me or asks if I'm new. I think it's just a product of today's churches: if you're not in the "click" then you don't really count. I don't let that discourage me from going but every once in a while it would be nice if someone at least acknowledged my existence.^_^
Have you tried standing around awkwardly for an hour or so after the service a couple of weeks (or months) in a row?

Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If it's my home church, yes I do try to greet people and welcome them, even if it's just a smile with a Hi , how are you? nice to see you!
I've visited several churches in the past few months and it really makes you feel awful when no one cares that you are there and you are a visitor. So I try to reach out and greet those that sit around me at my home church. I haven't made any friends but I keep trying and I hope i help them feel welcome there.

Upvote 0

lozzie

Just me...
Apr 7, 2004
Sydney
Visit site
✟19,360.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've visited several churches in the past few months and it really makes you feel awful when no one cares that you are there and you are a visitor.

thats eactly it... I've visited quite a few lately and it does get frustrating! I always think, if I had been interested in finding out more about God and gone to a church to do so... I'd probably not come back cause I was completely ignored.

Upvote 0